PDA

View Full Version : Microwave Drying

James Baldwin
03-29-2023, 9:58 AM
Hi guys, I've seen some mention of microwave bowl drying. How does one go about doing it? Thanks, Jim

Barry McFadden
03-29-2023, 10:03 AM
I weigh the bowl then put it in the microwave at 40% power for 4 minutes. Let it cool and weigh again. I repeat this cycle until it's not losing any more weight then start turning it.(usually takes about 4 or 5 times)

Richard Coers
03-29-2023, 11:26 AM
I stopped microwaving wood because of that last cycle I was always too tempted to do. You know, "I think it needs one more cycle". That is ALWAYS when I smelled burning wood. Wood starts burning on the inside and it's not a flame, but you definitely know it's burning. Now I do a gentle drying in a retired upright freezer kiln if I'm in a hurry to get the bowl done.

Randall J Cox
04-01-2023, 9:11 PM
I'm in the process of microwaving ten 10" walnut bowls. Guess I'm cautious, I do about 40-45 times at 1 min per time on high, let cool for an hour or so, do again. Never smelled burning wood, at least not from microwaving. No scale, although that is the correct way to do it, weigh until they stop losing weight. Randy

PJ Seiber
04-02-2023, 6:52 AM
Has anyone tried a food dehydrator? I acquired one someone was throwing away. It seems to work pretty well. After about 8 hours I checked my bowl with a moisture meter and it's to dry to register. Is there any drawbacks to using it? HTH