PDA

View Full Version : Good TS Storage Strategy?

Russ Filtz
01-29-2006, 2:46 PM
I moved to the Tampa area last August and have had to store my tools in an apartment garage while I sell/buy houses. In my haste to unpack I didn't do anything special to my TS, just cleaned it, sprayed with Slip-It and put a few light boxes on top (I NEED the room!). I was looking for stuff today and pulled the boxes down and there were some light rust patches, nothing too bad after 5 mos I guess.

I cleaned it off with what was handy and in the open, some PB Blaster and Scotchbrite pads. Came clean fine, but then I read the PB label and it said it was penetrating and leaves a film (doesn't evap like WD-40). Didn't have wax handy, so I sprayed a good coat down, covered it with wax paper and then packed the boxes back on top.

Is this a good method, or should I get some cosmoline or even vaseline instead?

Forgot to mention I'm also running a de-humidifier in there since I'm also storing clothes and I don't want them to get moldy!

Jack Norfleet
01-29-2006, 8:08 PM
I use Boeshield and then wax the top after it dries. Have had no problems her in Orlando.

PB Blaster is probably ok but I can't stand the smell.

I made the mistake of using PB Blaster to lube a sticky car window mechanism and the smell on a hot day was sickening.

Allen Bookout
01-29-2006, 11:55 PM
I do the same as Jack, Boeshield and wax. Works in Punta Gorda, Florida (on a saltwater canal)--not airconditioned or dehumidified. Will be interesting as to how the wax paper works! Allen

Dick Latshaw
01-30-2006, 3:39 PM
One more vote for Boeshield T-9. I usually spray it on and let it dry over night on new tools. Then it's two or three coats of Johnson's paste wax.