PDA

View Full Version : I know I'm hooked now!

Don Farr
07-22-2003, 4:13 PM
Come home from work and find a tree across the driveway and rather than cussing and fussing, what do I first think of ?
Hmmmm! Poplar tree, I wonder what I can make out of that.

Bobby Hatfield
07-22-2003, 4:29 PM
Come home from work and find a tree across the driveway and rather than cussing and fussing, what do I first think of ?
Hmmmm! Poplar tree, I wonder what I can make out of that.

Don I see a green wood windsor chair, and table w/ turned legs.

Steve Clardy
07-23-2003, 10:21 AM
provides us things in different ways, sometimes to keep us busier! Ha.
Don, did you ever determine what the other tree chunks were that you got a couple weeks ago? Curious Steve

Don Farr
07-23-2003, 11:20 AM
provides us things in different ways, sometimes to keep us busier! Ha.
Don, did you ever determine what the other tree chunks were that you got a couple weeks ago? Curious Steve

Hi Steve, If you remember I had several that said Ash and of course you said hickory. I think you were probably correct with your explanation of the dark heartwood. Which all of the logs had and there are a lot of hickory trees in north Georgia.
My only reservation was the strong oder and I also recently found out were the tree came from. There were three of them cut down behind my place of business which is an industrial park. The park is old enough to assume that they were planted when the park was built. All that said I find it very unusual that they would have planted hickory trees next to a parking lot, because of the mess they can make.
So I guess I'm not a 100% sure, but I do lean towards hickory.

Dan Bussiere
07-24-2003, 10:35 AM
Don,
Looks like you got a nice source of turning stock there! Whatever you make out of it will be fun because it was priced right. By the way, nice house in the background. I was raised in Swainsboro years ago! So even though I live in New Jersey now, I still think you guys from "Up North of Hwy 80" is Yankees.
Dan

Brad Schafer
07-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Don I see a green wood windsor chair, and table w/ turned legs.

funny - i saw a Stihl Farm Boss (038, maybe?). :D

nice looking place you've got there, don.

b

Don Farr
07-24-2003, 11:56 AM
funny - i saw a Stihl Farm Boss (038, maybe?). :D

nice looking place you've got there, don.

b

Thanks, It's a 029.