PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do any Kumiko?

Keith Christopher
03-27-2023, 9:47 AM
I've been thinking about trying my hand at it , but as always I have delusions of Grandeur making a big screen but I don't know how long
it will take with the hand jigs, I looked into ha ganna but no one seems to have any.

Anyway looking for advice (I will start with a small project but I really want to make a nice screen)

Melvin Feng
03-27-2023, 9:40 PM
there are a number of youtube videos that give some good information. The one in particular that I recall is from the channel "pask makes", I believe he has a number of kumiko videos now. They do look nice!

jerry cousins
03-28-2023, 10:04 AM
i spent the last covid winter in the shop teaching myself kumiko. i did not make anything larger than table lamps and a few small boxes. it was a really satisfying process. look for an old fwwing magazine that has an article about layout, jigs, and cutting (it's out in the shop and i'll look for it later today). i primarily used jelutong for the lattice work.
there are a few other resources that i used - and will come back later with the names. lots on you tube - mike farrington has several kumiko videos.
here's a few of the lamps
have fun with it
jerry
(sorry about the sideways pics)

James Jayko
03-28-2023, 10:44 AM
I've done it a few times. Used the method in Mike Farrington's video on YouTube. Not particularly difficult if you take your time...my second was 50% better than the first, and the third was 50% better than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqAbRqhEBY4

jerry cousins
03-28-2023, 11:37 AM
fwwing - # 274 - april 2019 - good one for table saw jigs
shoji & kumiko design - desmond king
jc

Edward Weber
03-28-2023, 12:23 PM
I was going to mention that there are many, many patterns that can be made without using the ha ganna. Don't let that stop you

James Jayko
03-28-2023, 12:46 PM
I looked into ha ganna but no one seems to have any.

Never seen these before but they are not necessary for what I did. And TBH, they seem WAY too specialized for a place in my toolbox given how limited they are in their use, compared to a block plane or a wide chisel with some relatively simple jigs.