PDA

View Full Version : Best YouTube to learn woodturning?

Luis Reyes
03-24-2023, 11:27 AM
Hi All,

I have access to a woodworking studio that includes a lathe. I got a quick intro on it but not much more than that. Is there a YouTuber anyone recommends with good videos on getting started with woodturning? I’m thinking safety and technique to start.

I’ll do a quick search as well but figure if there are some good known videos I’d love to know!

Thanks

Luis

Reed Gray
03-24-2023, 11:50 AM
Well, of course I will suggest my videos, under robo hippy. Most is about bowl turning. I like Mike Waldt, who is from Wales. Not so much technique, but lots of interesting projects. Stuart Batty is another. Woodturner 21 is a spindle turning master, and his videos, as he states, are more to show how things are done, but not how to do them. Stuart Batty is good. Depending on where you are, look up the nearest club, which you can probably just google. They have mentors. The AAW has a listing of clubs. Monthly demos, and you can ask questions. Turning is addicting....

robo hippy

Tom Levy
03-24-2023, 11:50 AM
Woodturning: A foundation course by Keith Rowley

used copies on amazon are less than a kids meal at mcdonalds

Kevin Jenness
03-24-2023, 12:35 PM
Reed's suggestions are good. I would add Brian Havens, Lyle Jamieson, Al Hockenberry and John Lucas. You can pick up a lot from videos but there is no substitute for hands-on mentoring. It's easy to start out on the wrong foot and as someone said, "Practice makes permanent."

Randall J Cox
03-24-2023, 2:07 PM
I've been watching "turnawoodbowl" with Kent. Great comprehensive group of videos. No shortcuts. Videos to cover every aspect of turning. Randy

Richard Coers
03-24-2023, 4:00 PM
Not the answer to your question, but I've done a lot of teaching. Finding a mentor at a local AAW chapter will cut 6 months of learning time by having the mentor looking over your shoulder. It's incredibly hard to understand the nuances of turning, but no comparison of watching on a computer monitor compared to learning in real time on a lathe. Woodturning is NEVER as simple as it looks on a monitor. I know I'm biased since I learned my trade before computers, but when I look at beginners work on the internet, there is little to been seen that could change my mind.

Thomas Wilson80
03-24-2023, 4:57 PM
Brian Havens was the most helpful for me as a new turner. Since then I've watched a lot of others but always go back to Brian's videos if I'm having issues or need to review.
For the skew, I watched Alan Lacer and learned the skew from his vids.

GL,
tom

Perry Hilbert Jr
03-24-2023, 7:30 PM
when I got back into turning after 40 years, lathe accesrories and tool had changed so much. I watched and watched, all kinds of videos. Using the skew never made sense until I watched a German guy. Even without being able to follow the German, what he showed and the way he demonstrated made things much clearer.

The American Assoc of Wood Turners had a list of videos that were juried for proper technique and safety. For a while they had a free beginner partial membership which gave access to the videos. Don't know if they still do.

There a goofy poem about jumping into a bramble bush and scratching out your eyes, and then jumping into the bush again and scratching the eyes back in. Learning from videos is a lot like that. So much information hitting you all at one time seems bewildering and leaves you confused for a while. Keep at it and eventually things start to click. I know I have watched a couple of Alan Lacer's videos 3 or 4 times.

Randy Heinemann
03-24-2023, 7:50 PM
While there are good videos online and for purchase, a 3-day hands-on course with a good teacher would push you quickly toward good technique. They can be expensive, with the class and travel expenses, but if you want to get a good start that's the way. The problem is picking one that is compatible with you and how you learn, you can afford, and works in your schedule. The suggestion of a club member in a local club is a great one. Most are willing to spend time teaching you the basics.

Luis Reyes
03-24-2023, 10:54 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I hadn’t thought about books so I’ll see what my library has.

interesting to see many suggest a local club. I met a retired wood turner at Home Depot who invited me to a wood turning club he was a part of. It’s a little far but maybe worth it, I’ll also look at some of the videos mentioned above!

Perry Hilbert Jr
03-25-2023, 6:38 AM
FREE FREEE The AAW has a FREE three month affiliate membership, with access to a great deal of beginner information that has been screened for proper content and safety

https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/Join-Pages/Affiliate-Membership.aspx

mike calabrese
03-25-2023, 10:26 AM
I've been watching "turnawoodbowl" with Kent. Great comprehensive group of videos. No shortcuts. Videos to cover every aspect of turning. Randy

I have seen some of Kent's vids "turnawoodbowl" . He does an excellent job with the finer details but not in an overbearing or painful way.

Also to the Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.) Thank You...I get to be free here because you were there !
calabrese55

Bernie Kopfer
03-25-2023, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=Luis Reyes;3247901]Hi All,

I have access to a woodworking studio that includes a lathe. I got a quick intro on it but not much more than that. Is there a YouTuber anyone recommends with good videos on getting started with woodturning? I’m thinking safety and technique to start.

I’ll do a quick search as well but figure if there are some good known videos I’d love to know

Luis, before you spend a lot of time learning to turn ask yourself what your long term objectives are. If you are planning on turning to become a long term doing-it-frequently hobby or for profit, by all means learn the traditional tool methods
But if not don’t want to waste your time, learn how to use the carbide tool system and with one hour of mentoring you will be turning and actually having fun and very safely too. I know the traditionalist will start screaming at this point, but if you want satisfaction and results quickly without the hassle of learning sharpening and the body and mind contortions needed for traditional tools, start turning with carbide. But it all depends on your long term objectives.

Brian Deakin
03-25-2023, 2:46 PM
The link below is the best current link for Stuart Batty and includes a link to his 34 videos on Vimeo

https://www.dmwoodturners.com/?page_id=642

Stuart also has a number of videos on YouTube which are worth watching

Earl McLain
03-25-2023, 3:21 PM
Craft Supplies USA has a series named Woodturning 101 (Kirk DeHeer) that does a good job of skill building. Would be best used by taking at least a few weeks with episode to gain some experience before moving on to the next one. DeHeer does a fair job of demonstrating what can go wrong.

Agree on Kent at Turn a Wood Bowl is good as well. He does a very good job of WHY things go wrong--learning "why" helped me stop some of my mistakes.

Best of all is some personal time with other turners--i.e. finding a club and/or mentor. I learned a lot about turning from good videos, but there is no YouTube channel that provide feedback on my stance, presentation and rhythm that will really help me get better. Better to get some coaching early, so your foundation is solid--that would have made my turning so much easier!! The club i'm active in is a 90 minute drive each way and worth every minute. There are several members that have skill sets that could be a marketable as many "name" turners, but they kept their day jobs--and all are willing to help in coaching.

Best wishes moving forward!!

Neil Strong
03-25-2023, 7:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/@RichardRaffanwoodturning

Jeffrey J Smith
03-25-2023, 8:02 PM
I’m glad to see Richard Raffan mentioned finally - his books and videos have been a staple in teaching beginners and more experienced turners for decades. He has a new series of videos on YouTube these days. More than worth a look.

Mick Fagan
03-26-2023, 10:40 PM
I too suggest you have a look at Richard Raffan, his latest set of videos are mostly done in real time and his explanations and visual presentations are pretty much perfect for the beginner and expert alike.

This one is perfect for the absolute beginner with almost no tools or other equipment. And, it's only 9 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-6syy_LYSE

Luis Reyes
03-27-2023, 10:27 PM
I like a playlist so I'll check this out! Lots of great suggestions so far. My long term goal won't be to do too much woodturning but I wouldn't mind making some small things for Christmas like salt / pepper shakers, chisel handles, etc. Just get my feet wet although like all things... maybe I'll like it and get into more complicated projects!

I too suggest you have a look at Richard Raffan, his latest set of videos are mostly done in real time and his explanations and visual presentations are pretty much perfect for the beginner and expert alike.

This one is perfect for the absolute beginner with almost no tools or other equipment. And, it's only 9 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-6syy_LYSE

Wyatt Holm
08-17-2023, 7:47 PM
I found little on youtube when I was starting I ended up buying DVDs, you often get what you pay for, so don't expect really good info for free. Some of my favorite instructors are Richard Raffan, Stuart Batty, Kip Christensen, and if you want to turn salad bowls or hollow forms Mike Mahoney.

Don Stephan
08-17-2023, 8:32 PM
My first suggestion would be to develop sound hand and body mechanics for controlling and moving the cutting edge of lathe tools. Dominant hand grips the handle right behind the ferrule, handle against forearm, elbow snug against the side of the body, move left and right by tilting at the ankles. When watching videos, focus on body and hand mechanics and movement of the cutting edge, over the project being developed.

Richard Raffan several months ago began posting one or two Youtube videos each week that I find invaluable, although I do also appreciate Stewart Batty and Brian Havens. A turning group is equally valuable, but I would suggest spending an hour with each of two or three mentors initially to find someone best suited to you.

Andy Pogue
08-18-2023, 7:27 PM
Try Mike Peace, and the Wyoming woodturner

George Heatherly
08-21-2023, 8:56 PM
I'll chime in to support those who mention Richard Raffan. I believe his videos have done a lot to improve my bowl turning efforts since I have been watching them on YouTube. I've watched quite a few different turners over the years and learned from all of them, but I think he has helped me the most.

mike calabrese
08-22-2023, 9:41 AM
I discovered segmented bowls about 18 months ago it was completely new to me I was captivated. Off I go to youtube and watched tons of videos to see what tool, methods, tricks , the game in total.
But you can't learn woodworking / woodturning form a video , book, two week course. By some accounts I am pretty successful at making segmented bowls after just 18 months HOWEVER that success was supported by over 50 years of woodworking experience. Yes the videos helped to build an awareness but they can never build a skill. Call it paying your dues, making your bones, cutting your teeth but you have to put time and skin into the game to win.

You should be a sponge, look and learn everything you can, soak it up. Most important lessons is to understand that watching youtube and reading books are great for the what and why but they can not give you the how. By how I don not mean how to ride the bevel on a bowl gouge I mean everything you should know from the time you pick up that bowl gouge and turn out the light at the end of the day. The thought process alone has to be there to support the mechanics of making anything.
One last thought we can go on google maps and get driving directions from any point coast to coast and everything to know along the way..............BUT it doesn't teach you how to drive.

When you are on Youtube next also check out Reed Gray AKA Robo Hippy and always be a sponge .

calabrese55

Brian Deakin
08-22-2023, 12:34 PM
Stuart Batt has a new l website which has his 34 Vimeo videos and a number of other videos I believe additional videos may be added in September

https://stuartbattytools.com/free-videos-%26-articles

and his web site

https://stuartbattytools.com/home

Tim Elett
08-23-2023, 7:41 AM
Great lessons from every one ,thanks for sharing.

Chip Sutherland
08-23-2023, 4:45 PM
Late to the party but I support all those that said to find a local chapter. Every chapter that I have visited as had 1) a list of mentors 2) a library of videos, books, magazines. My local chapter has videos from 15yrs fo AAW conferences and SWAT conferences as well as videos for most of those national artists named above. My local chapter also has open shops for networking and yakking about woodturning....but most of all it is for the newbies to come and get hands on instruction....try other's tools before purchasing, etc.

Randy Heinemann
08-26-2023, 4:14 PM
Glenn Lucas is a great resource. He is a highly skilled and experienced woodturner. Plus, he's a perfectionist. The real bonus is that he is a great teacher too. There are a number of his, more basic, videos on YouTube available to everyone. Recently he started an online "club" which will provide quarterly onine meetings of club members, a project he does a video of a particular piece only available to club members (like a viking bowl, plate, etc.) So far, the videos like this have been excellent learning experiences. I think Glenn has the most developed online teaching site.

Trent Bosch is also a great teacher but doesn't have the same extensive online teaching videos available. However, if you can afford to travel and get to one of his 3 or 4-day classes in Colorado, you would learn a lot about basic turning as well as hollowing.

Richard Coers
08-27-2023, 1:19 PM
There is no video that can teach as well as a mentor. Most AAW chapters have mentoring programs.