PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a longer tool rest?

Bob Noles
01-29-2006, 9:56 AM
In practicing spindle drills, I many times find myself running out of tool rest before I run out of spinning material. Would getting a longer tool rest for times like this be a good move? If so, what size, a 9 inch or a 12 inch for a mini?

Andy Hoyt
01-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Refresh my memory Bob. How long is your current toolrest and what is the spindle capacity of that red maserati?

Mike Ramsey
01-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Andy, Do you ever get visits from the FB & I or your local HLS?? :D

Carole Valentine
01-29-2006, 10:25 AM
A 12" rest is not recommended for a mini...the 5/8" (?) post is not strong enough if you get a bad catch at the extreme ends of the rest. 9" would be the max, IMHO.

Bob Noles
01-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Refresh my memory Bob. How long is your current toolrest and what is the spindle capacity of that red maserati?

Andy,

Current rest is 6" and max capacity is 28" with extension which would boost it to 40".

btw.... that ticking bomb has got to be playing on someone's nerves :eek:

Bob Noles
01-29-2006, 10:46 AM
A 12" rest is not recommended for a mini...the 5/8" (?) post is not strong enough if you get a bad catch at the extreme ends of the rest. 9" would be the max, IMHO.

Carole,

What's a catch? :eek: :D

9" theory makes good sense on a 5/8 post.

Andy Hoyt
01-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Andy, Do you ever get visits from the FB & I or your local HLS?? :D

Yeah, every Saturday morning for coffee and shavings from the federale that lives just up the road.

Andy Hoyt
01-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Bob - Carole brought up a good point, and better than the one I was gonna make.

The toolrest should slide so easily and effortlessly that it's not seen as an obstacle to the flow of things.

Jim Becker
01-29-2006, 10:54 AM
'Depends on the rest. I used a 12" (actually two of them...one with an offset) on the OneWay 1018 I used to own with a 5/8" post, but they were from BestWood tools and quite strong. They should be fine for spindle work...the danger is with beaking the tool rest base with a nasty catch and for that reason one would want to be very careful using the longer rests for bowls and vessels on these machines. The "lever" effect at the end of the rest, especially and offset bar, can be substantial.

Bob Noles
01-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks y'all.... just like to get opinions from the experienced side before pulling a trigger these days.

ROBERT SCHUMAN
01-29-2006, 12:45 PM
there are double tool rests out there,if its only for practice it might not be orth the expense, but if you can afford the cost they are nice .You need two banjos to make them work, I have a twenty four inch,a thirty six and a forty eight.
happy turning!

Jim Ketron
01-29-2006, 1:38 PM
A lot depends on what material the rest is made from!
I would buy or make a tool rest from steel and not cast iron 12" should not be a problem!
But if you are making a lot of the same length spindle's, I would buy an extra banjo and make a double post rest for the length you need to finish it with out moving it but closer to your work!;)

Bob Noles
01-29-2006, 1:54 PM
I have researched the matter a little deeper and really would like to go with the 12 inch rest.

I have ordered other rests from these folks http://monster-wood-tool.com/ with great satisfaction and I think I will give the 12 a go being that these are made so well.

I'll keep you posted on how it works out.

Many thanks for all your help.

Carole Valentine
01-29-2006, 4:43 PM
I have researched the matter a little deeper and really would like to go with the 12 inch rest.

I have ordered other rests from these folks http://monster-wood-tool.com/ with great satisfaction and I think I will give the 12 a go being that these are made so well.

I'll keep you posted on how it works out.

Many thanks for all your help.

Shouldn't have any problem with that one. They use good stuff to make their tool rests and posts.

Chris Barton
01-29-2006, 5:27 PM
Bob,

I guess I am a doofus but, I just move the tool rest when I get to the end. On a mini I really don't see use of a rest over 6" long.

Bob Noles
01-29-2006, 6:48 PM
Bob,

I guess I am a doofus but, I just move the tool rest when I get to the end. On a mini I really don't see use of a rest over 6" long.

But Chris, I just don't like moving it sooooo much :D :p