PDA

View Full Version : SawStop Cust. Service - Long

Alan Turner
01-29-2006, 9:26 AM
I have to report an extremely positive experience with SawStop customer service. Since posts on OEM's are not always positive; those that are are worth sharing.

Yesterday I used the SS to make a small rip cut. I was actually testing the fence which I had just spent an hour fettling to get a flat face. PITA, and I was not in a good mood. So, I completed the rip, and the fence face is a lot flatter and the rip was smooth. Turned off the saw, and was walking to turn of the DC when I heard a "thunk" sort of sound. Not very loud, esp. with the DC on, which is quite loud. Looked over and saw that the blade was below the table, and thought -- Yikes.

Yup, the brake tripped. Well, I had another, so I was not happy, but had work to do and don't like to dwell on things negative. So, got out the book and went to read it a bit as I had not messed with the brake since owning the saw. I had posted a question on the difficulty of switching out to a dado head, and Per, and others, said it was not bad, so I thought I would regard this as a learning experience. By the way, the switching takes about 1 minute and requires no tools.

So, read the book, cleaned the inside of the cabinet, which needed it, and finally got the blade and brake assembly off in one piece. Put on the new cartridge, new blade, and turned it on. Nothing. Green light, turn it on, one second later red light, no movement.

Called SS's president on Sat. at about 2:30 East Coast time, and left a polite voice mail. About 15 minutes later, he called me back at the shop. He said that they have a new toy at the office that converts a voice mail to a .wav file and emails it automatically to his home. Pretty cool. He had checked his email, gotten my VM, and called right away.

Turns out that my switch is probably one of the earlier ones, and if you turn it off too hard, then it lets 240 volts go to the cartridge, which releases it, and hence the thunk. It is designed for 5 volts. And, it also cooked the switch. So, on Monday he will fed ex me a new switch, cartridge, and a second new cartridge since the broken switch may also have cooked the cartridge I just put in. He offered to run it over to FedEx on Sat, for Monday delivery, but I declined as I have other things to do on Monday and will not get shop time.

This was especially frustrating to me as I am now building 10 workbenches for the new studio. The prototype tail vise came in (I will report on this later when I confirm it is dead on) and I needed to build the wooden structure to hold the new hardware since I can't start on the bench tops till I confirm final measurements on the tail vise. I was not a happy camper, but held my cool (yelling is rarely an effective way to communicate), and Steve was equally polite. I am wed to this saw because of the school situation or I think I would have opted for an Oliver 260 or a slider. But SS it is, and I am glad for the good customer service.

One question for the blade gurus. I was running a 40 tooth, full kerf, ABT Leitz. No teeth were broken. But, when I put it on the jointer table, it is not perfectly flat, although another blade of the same type and brand is perfectly flat. Is the blade ruined, or might the arbor washer and flange straighten it out. While off, it is only off a little. Should I relegate this to cutting rough lumber, or just pitch it. I did not discuss with SS the blade issue as I did not know the condition of it at the time I spoke with Steve.

Obligatory pix below, Tyler.

Chris Barton
01-29-2006, 9:36 AM
I think the point you make here Alan is what the few of us who are not SS fanatics have been concerned with. I know of at least one case of a misfire reported from every person that has purchased this machine that I know personally. I don't think Per S. has had any problem with his or at least I don't recall him saying anything about this. I do like the safety concept! Good luck.

Mark Singer
01-29-2006, 9:45 AM
Alan,
I think they owe you the blade also if it is damaged.

Richard Wolf
01-29-2006, 9:46 AM
Alan, why don't you speak to your blade sharpener, see if they think it could be put back in shape. I had a bent blade that I was unaware off and the cut was terrible and it drove me crazy until I realized it. I retired the blade.

Richard

Per Swenson
01-29-2006, 9:56 AM
Hello all,

Alan, Darn, I am going to use the word unfortunate here

cause this is a respectable forum. What I am thinkng is

much more colorful.

Chris, I have (I believe the second gen saw) not had this incident

happen. Yet.

Steve Gass and Sawstop,

How about a recall on that switch to every one who owns the first

batch? 'Cause I would like to continue to wear my sawstop hat in public.

Alan, if the blade was embedded in the break I would chuck it.

I am just thinking of carbide tips launching free at a critical moment.

Still ,I agree Sawstop should be commended on their instant

customer service.

Per

Dan Larson
01-29-2006, 10:04 AM
One question for the blade gurus. I was running a 40 tooth, full kerf, ABT Leitz. No teeth were broken. But, when I put it on the jointer table, it is not perfectly flat, although another blade of the same type and brand is perfectly flat. Is the blade ruined, or might the arbor washer and flange straighten it out. While off, it is only off a little. Should I relegate this to cutting rough lumber, or just pitch it. I did not discuss with SS the blade issue as I did not know the condition of it at the time I spoke with Steve.
I'm not a blade guru, so I won't voice an opinion on this one... but I do have a question. How likely is it that the force of the brake deployment partially fractured the bond between some of the carbide teeth and the blade steel?

Dan

Edit: Looks like Per answered this one as I was writing it...

Byron Trantham
01-29-2006, 10:05 AM
I am glad they responded so well but I would be very concerned about the long term reliability. Lota money to worry about whether or not its going to eat another blade/cartridge. Good luck.

Jim Becker
01-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Alan, my understanding is that activation of the cartridge will indeed "do a number" on the blade. It's new blade time...and I'd ask the vendor for assistance on that, too, considering the "accident" wasn't involving your flesh, but an electrical flaw.

Anthony Anderson
01-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Alan,

Just so I make sure I understand this, you had nothing to do with the brake engaging, and was caused by a defective switch? Or was it that you inadvertenly did something to trip the brake, and tripping the brake caused 220 to go to the switch, which toasted it. It is good to hear comments about great customer service. Thanks for the update. Bill

Rob Blaustein
01-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Alan, my understanding is that activation of the cartridge will indeed "do a number" on the blade. It's new blade time...and I'd ask the vendor for assistance on that, too, considering the "accident" wasn't involving your flesh, but an electrical flaw.

I would guess that in typical cases of brake tripping the blade is moving when it hits the pawls so most of the damage to the blade is a result of that process, but here the blade was stationary. Nevertheless, I don't think I would use any blade that hit something hard enough to bend it. I can't imagine SS would balk at a new blade--it was probably an oversight that he didn't even mention covering that, given reports of their customer service.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-29-2006, 11:57 AM
IMHO I'd pitch the blade. Depending on the speed the blade was turning at the time the brake kicked in, the metal of the blade could be stressed and could break of when spinning at full speed someday in the future.

Alan Turner
01-29-2006, 12:31 PM
To clarify, the brake engaged at the moment that I turned it off. I think what Steve said was that if you turn it off too hard, there is something about the first batch of switches that makes full current go to the brake cartridge. So, the balde was going nearly full speed when the brake engaged, although the power was not on.

I think I will pitch the blade. At my age, I am no longer fast enough to duck flying carbide. I told Steve about the blade in an email, so we'll see what he has to say about it.

He acknowledged that the switch should not short that way, even with a bit of a too firm tap to the off position. I didn't slam it; I wasn't angry. I take good care of my tools as they serve me well. Other than perhaps a drill bit, I can't quickly recall the last tool that I broke.

Per, he gave me instructions on how to look at the switch to see if it was the old or the new while we were on the phone and I was at the saw. He will probably do the same for you. Since you can't afford to be down either, you might request a replacement if need be.

I meant to mention in the initial post, but forgot, that I am fortunate to have another table saw, at home, and so work on the Tail Vise is proceeding apace. (Hope I spelled that right.)

I have a new grandchild, near Boston, so my bride went up for a week to help Mom and care for the elder (3 y.o.). Batching it is great when you need to really crank in the shop. No guilt whatsoever. BTW, Mom and baby are doing just fine.

Chris Barton
01-29-2006, 6:06 PM
First, Alan you don't look old enough to be a grandad. Second, it is gratifying to hear that SS has done such a good job by you by making sure the customer is satisfied.

Mark Singer
01-29-2006, 6:45 PM
Alan,
I hate to mention this....you didn't have any hot dogs in the shop at the time? :rolleyes: did you?

Andy London
01-29-2006, 8:31 PM
It seems to me this is somewhat of a safety issue, what if that thing went of when you were changing a blade, I usderstand that it is believe this was a power surge.

I agree with the others on pitching the blade, personally i would be nervous using it.

Alan Turner
01-29-2006, 9:53 PM
Funny you ask, Mark. That was the first thing that Steve asked me when he called back. I denied it of course. There was a bit of mustard on my face, but I swear it was on a soft pretzel and not a hot dog.

Roy Wall
01-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Funny you ask, Mark. That was the first thing that Steve asked me when he called back. I denied it of course. There was a bit of mustard on my face, but I swear it was on a soft pretzel and not a hot dog.

Alan - I'm sure you'll get a new blade........you should.

Also, Steve G. sent me a "demo" cartridge at my request. I'm actually going to perform the "hot dog test" to some curious friends who are interested in the saw. The hot dogs have been purchased.

If it's not too much trouble, you might PM me to see if I have the "older" version switch also. I believe I got the saw about the time you did...(July 2005)

Chris Barton
01-30-2006, 7:51 AM
Save the nicked up hotdogs for me, they should grill just fine...:o

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-30-2006, 8:43 AM
Allan, first, I'd like to thank you for posting a positive customer service experience, too often we only do the opposite (I know I have! :o )

Second, toss the blade, if it was not carbide tipped, a good blade sharpener should be able to straighten it, but the carbide tip things, well they would hurt if you caught one with your forehead :eek:

Cheers!