PDA

View Full Version : Another "Pucker" Bowl

Eugene Dixon
03-21-2023, 10:21 AM
Turned this a couple of years ago. Pecan wood. ~8.5" diameter and ~7" tall.

Here's the bowl base.

Wondering about Osmo as a finish. Thoughts?

C&C on the bowl welcomed.

Robert Hayward
03-21-2023, 1:53 PM
Nicely done! Looks really thin.

Eugene Dixon
03-21-2023, 5:26 PM
Walls are 3/8" maybe. Bottom, almost too thin.

David Walser
03-21-2023, 6:38 PM
Eugene -- Osmo would work as a finish, but I would ask why you'd want to use Osmo on what is an art piece and wouldn't benefit from the durability Osmo offers. If it were me and I wanted a film finish, I'd most likely use shellac or a brushing lacquer (Deft's Clear Wood Finish). Both are easy to apply and can be easily renewed should the need arise. Both are also plenty durable for something that gets handled only occasionally. I have a bowl I turned 20 years ago that was finished with Deft. It gets used for popcorn about once a month. The finish still looks great. I also have candlesticks and other items of a similar age that were finished with shellac. They also look great.

If I didn't want a film finish, I'd probably use a hardening oil like tung oil (the real stuff), BLO, or walnut oil. Again, these finishes are easy to apply and renew. They are also plenty durable for a decorative piece.

So, will Osmo work? Yes. But it's also harder to apply and far more expensive than the finishes already mentioned. Of course, if you have a can of Osmo that's about to go bad...