PDA

View Full Version : captive ring advice?

doug webb
01-29-2006, 6:31 AM
I was informed last night that I would be making the ' unity ' candle holders for my daughter's wedding. Her design includes captive rings. I need advise on a dark wood that automaticly forms the required size rings. Barring that, that is at least workable with minimun talent. Seriously, any help will be appreciated. I was NOT given a choice in doing this. Choice of wood IS left up to me, but I need help. Thanks, doug

Jim Dunn
01-29-2006, 8:56 AM
Doug my vote for first or 10th wood to turn is walnut. The few things I've piddled with, the walnut was easiest. Also you can usually find 2x2 turning spindles most every where.

Andy Hoyt
01-29-2006, 9:03 AM
Douglas - I've actually suffered a similar obligation. Based on that, I suggest you talk to the boss and ask about any color themes or schemes in the rest of the wedding decor that you could (read - should) emulate with a specific species.

Richard Allen
01-29-2006, 9:30 AM
Captive rings are fairly simple with a captive ring tool. I sugest that you do a LOT of captive rings on several different woods to get a feel for how the process works. Practice will improve your results a LOT.

Before you cut lose the ring do all the sanding you can. Once the ring is cut lose sanding for the ring becomes primarly a had sanding process.

Good Luck

doug webb
02-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Thank you for taking the time to help me. I have 2 1/2 months before the wedding so hopefully I can get them done to suit her.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-02-2006, 12:11 AM
HEY BILL....................Help him out!

Bruce

Bill Stevener
02-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Hi Doug,
I see Bruce put out a snare.
Richard Allen has noted several good points, the main one is the sanding, get all you can while it is attached, then the final sanding is rather simple.

As far as the captive ring tools go, I have two sets, of two sizes, both brand new, never used, one day I may try them, guess I just got use to turning them with a skew.

Its like Richard noted practice makes perfect, however it also works for typing.

It's hard to explain to one, on how to do it, much easier to show and tell.

I know you are looking to turn them in a dark wood, however I may suggest to start with a wood such as birch, it works well and sands easley.
I would not start off trying to run a bunch of rings on a long spindle, rather use shorter turning stock, less whip and vibration, easier control.

Hope this helps some, you just have to give it a go, there not really that hard.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

doug webb
02-02-2006, 11:37 PM
This is what I came up with when while trying to get the grind profile on ring tool I was making. As per your advice, I am practicing on rings. As this is practice it has minimum sanding and blo. thank all of ya'll again for your help, doug
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31026&stc=1&d=1138941107file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/j.J-84738B292A1A4/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/cptvrng2.JPG

Bill Stevener
02-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Outstanding start Doug.

Looks like you have been cranking them out for some time.
What are your thoughts about turning the rings?

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

doug webb
02-03-2006, 1:12 AM
Bill, I enjoyed myself quite a bit today. Spindle turning is not my favorite, but the rings added an interesting challenge. Turning powder dry oak livened things up a bit too. That was a piece left from an old pallet.I think I will enjoy trying different things and sizes of rings in different combinations. I still have a ways to go before my ring tool is to my satisfaction, but I enjoy that also. I have never been much on joining anything, but after lurking for a while I decided I wanted to be part of this group. Friendly people like yourself taking the time to respond and help someone like me is great. I don't personaly know any woodworkers around my area though I am sure there some so I have been teaching myself by reading and trial and error and error and error. After visiting some of the other forums and seeing how newbie questions were handled, I just went on my own till I found the creek. Like coming home after a hard day. Thanks again, doug

Bill Stevener
02-03-2006, 1:22 AM
Great place this old Creek,
Don't know why anyone wouldn't like it.

Hope you show your finished turning.

Experience is the best teacher.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)