PDA

View Full Version : Which One?

Glenn Hodges
01-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Which one of these do you like that I turned this week?

The light one is grapefruit with malachite inlay, 6.5 in W. X 3 in. H lacquer finish

The pink one with a hole in it is dogwood. It is also about 6 X3 with a lacquer finish.

The other light wood is sycamore, 15 X 6.5 inches with a tung oil finish and buffed.

The last 2 pictures are the bottom of a magnolia showing how I covered up the screw holes with malachite, red coral, and brass inlay. The other picture is of the same bowl 16 X 6 inches, tung oil finish, and buffed.
Your votes and comments pro and con are appreciated.
Thanks

Glenn Hodges
01-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Here is the other picture of the magnolia.

Mike Ramsey
01-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Glen, like em all! but I really like the 2nd bowl the best, the Dogwood.
It is awesome! I do like your inlays also.

Corey Hallagan
01-29-2006, 12:05 AM
They are all very nice but I think I like that Dogwood best as well. Very cool!

Corey

Mark Singer
01-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Glen,
I can't pick one....I love them all ....Java liked the Dogwood:rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
01-29-2006, 12:13 AM
I'm kinda partial to the sycamore.

It has that pick me up, caress me, and use me look to it.

Jim Dunn
01-29-2006, 12:19 AM
All look pretty nice to me too. I am a little partial to the pink colored one though.

Frank Parker
01-29-2006, 1:24 AM
Their all beautiful but I like the last one best, I just tend to like the darker woods better, as my favorite wood is Walnut.
Frank

Gary Max
01-29-2006, 5:40 AM
Magnolia------l am a fan of BIG-----grain is really working.
bottom is different (which is good)

Bob Noles
01-29-2006, 6:19 AM
Glenn,

They are all nice and hard to pick just one, but I have to lean toward the dogwood.

Karl Laustrup
01-29-2006, 7:18 AM

You smooth talker you. ;) :D

Glenn, I can't really pick one over the others. I especially like the inlays. That really sets them apart. :)

Karl

Glenn Clabo
01-29-2006, 8:08 AM
They are all great...but the Dogwood has something that keeps drawing my eye to it.

Michael Stafford
01-29-2006, 8:09 AM
I am partial to the magnolia and the sycamore. Both look great. But so does the dogwood.... I am so confused, Glenn, don't give us so many choices. :p :D They are all good looking pieces....:D

Doug Jones
01-29-2006, 8:27 AM
sycamore, 15 X 6.5 inches
bowl 16 X 6 inches
I've got big bowls
I've got big bowls
And they're such big bowls
Dirty big bowls
And he's got big bowls,
And she's got big bowls,
But Glenn's got the biggest bowls of them all!

Like the Dogwood most.

John Hart
01-29-2006, 8:44 AM
I like them all.

Grapefruit? This has got to be the first grapefruit post!

I was waffling a little between the dogwood and magnolia. I like lots of activity going on with the wood and your straightforward forms let that show off with both of them. I especially like what you did with the screw holes as I seem to have that problem quite often. Your solution was elegant.

Bottom line: I like the Magnolia the best.

Jim Dunn
01-29-2006, 8:48 AM
I'm kinda partial to the sycamore.

Me thinks Andy spends to much time around wood.:D I only wish I had that kinda time in the shop. Course the Dogwood tree in my backyard is calling to me this morning:eek:

Robert Mickley
01-29-2006, 9:04 AM
I like the in the order you posted them Glen.

Chris Barton
01-29-2006, 9:09 AM
I'm with John on this one. The magnolia is my favorite.

Carole Valentine
01-29-2006, 9:53 AM
All nice, but I'm partial to the dogwood - lots of character. I am curious though - why do you have screwholes that need covering? If I use a faceplate mounted directly to the piece, I mount it on the top of the bowl and turn the tenon for the chuck on the bottom. The screw holes get turned away when you hollow the bowl. Before I had a chuck, I used glue blocks with a faceplate.:confused:

George Conklin
01-29-2006, 10:30 AM
My taste's go for the sycamore. All look beautiful though. You do nice work, Glenn.

George

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Nice work. I like them all but am kinda partial to the sycamore.

Glenn Hodges
01-29-2006, 11:06 AM
All nice, but I'm partial to the dogwood - lots of character. I am curious though - why do you have screwholes that need covering? If I use a faceplate mounted directly to the piece, I mount it on the top of the bowl and turn the tenon for the chuck on the bottom. The screw holes get turned away when you hollow the bowl. Before I had a chuck, I used glue blocks with a faceplate.:confused:

Thanks Carole, I use a faceplate on these large bowls because I have had the Stronghold let some of these fly loose or the tennon break in the past. Particularly soft woods like magnolia are candidates for this. I got carried away trying to get the curve inside of this one just right so the depth matched the curve and the bottom got to thin. I thought I would not have enough bottom thickness left to remove all the screw holes so I just tried to make the bottom strong and look fairly presentabe. I get gunshy after having lost a bowl by blowing out the bottom on one, and that happened this week.

Jim Ketron
01-29-2006, 1:43 PM
I like the classic shape of the Sycamore, Well done!
Although I like the Void pieces too!

Cody Colston
01-29-2006, 4:20 PM
They are all nice but the Dogwood is the one that keeps holding my attention. That pink color with the voids is unique.

Keith Burns
01-29-2006, 4:24 PM
They all look good but my favorite is the Sycamore. The oters are quite explosive as well:) :)

john mclane
01-29-2006, 7:10 PM
I like the dogwood. nice work on all of them.

Ernie Nyvall
01-29-2006, 8:03 PM
I really like the magnolia, but you can't beat what you did with that dogwood. However the grapefruit is very interesting. All are very nice.

Ernie

Jim Becker
01-29-2006, 8:23 PM
I find number one (grapefruit with inlay) to be absolutely exquisite...the form is wonderful. I'm in no way saying I don't like the others, but if I had to choose, I'd want that first on in my collection!

John Shuk
01-29-2006, 8:28 PM
I too am partial to the sycamore.