PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blades

Jeff Horton
01-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Going to post this here. I need bandsaw blades bad. I keep putting it off because I can't make up my mind. But I bent one tonight doing something stupid. So it's time to buy.

I am leaning toward Timberwolf blades. I want a small blade to do scroll type work. A wider blade for occasional resawing. Something for general work like cutting blanks.

Now, I am looking for some suggestions. I can't seem to decide on teeth per inch.

Glenn Hodges
01-28-2006, 11:26 PM
I recommend Timberwolf, I use the 3/8 and 1/2 inch blades. I can't remember which # of teeth per inch, but what I use works good on cutting bowl blanks. You can call them and ask which ones I order, and which ones they recommend.

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Jeff I use the 3/8" and 1/2" as well. The 1/2" is 3 tpi and the 3/8" is 8 tpi. I use the 1/2" for bowling cutting and my wife uses the 3/8" for scrolling. I also bought a woodslicer from Highland Hardware. It is a slick blade and is great for resawing. Very little sanding needed. If you call Suffolk Machinery and tell them what you are doing they will recommend blades for you. The above is what they recommended to me.

Mike Ramsey
01-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Jeff, don't get much better than Timberwolf IMHO. 3 TPI works the best for roughing blanks. Call Sullfolk Machinery the makers of Timberwolf blades and they will help you with any questions. I looked on thier website and they are still running the buy 2 get 1 free deal, they are the cheapest place i've found to buy good blades.

Dave Fifield
01-29-2006, 12:19 AM
+1 for Timberwolf blades :)

Bob Noles
01-29-2006, 6:13 AM
Jeff,

Like everyone has already said....... Call Timberwolf.

Dave Wimmer
01-29-2006, 8:12 AM
Timber Wolf here too!
Looks unanamous.

John Hart
01-29-2006, 8:54 AM
Timberwolf is the goodest. One other recommendation that they don't always print on the package....To get the best life from your blade, cut very very lightly and slowly for the first 10 minutes of cutting. An aggressive attack will chip the teeth on a brand-spankin'-new blade. 10 minutes of light cutting works. I've tested it with identical blades and can speak first-hand.

Jeff Horton
01-29-2006, 9:19 AM
I have been thinking since I posted this. I think I will call Timberwolf and see what they have to say.;) Whatcha think? :D

Thanks guys!

Raymond Overman
01-29-2006, 9:57 AM
Hey Jeff, why don't you call Suffolk Machinery and buy a Timberwolf 3/8" 3 TPI AS series bandsaw blade. That's the kind I like to use for my resaw/bowl blank cutting and since no one else here seems to know about bandsaw blades... :)

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

(800) 234-7297

Jim Ketron
01-29-2006, 1:59 PM
I have purchased the AS Timberwolf blades for my bandsaw I could not tell much if any difference in lasting from the Olson's I have been buying from Packard. plus I can buy 2 for the price of one Timberwolf Blade!
I have Cut a bunch of bowl blanks with the sales going to purchase my 3520 lathe, and I will stick with the Olson's
I use the 1/2" 3TPI blades for my green bowl blank cutting and 3/4" 3TPI for my re-sawing