PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi VFD sizing

Brian Holcombe
03-14-2023, 12:09 PM
Prognosis is that the single phase motor on my saw is dead so I知 replacing it with a 3ph motor. The replacement 1ph metric motors are fairly expensive in this size range.

Motor I found is 240v 3ph 4kw. Draws 13amps.

I知 looking at a hitachi inverter since I have installed a couple of them so far.

The inverter I知 looking at is WJ200-037LF

https://www.hitachi-iesa.com/sites/default/files/supportdocs/(WJ200)SM-E265W.pdf

My math suggests I need an inverter capable of 22.5amps on single phase input.

Thank you!

Bill Dufour
03-14-2023, 4:18 PM
Your math is good but add say 10% for less then 100% efficiency. Of course you can always limit it to under the motor nameplate hp.
If you need braking you probably should add a resister to soak up the back EMF and not fry the VFD buss. A spinning bandsaw has a lot of momentum.
People add an electric oven or water heater element as a cheap brake resister.
Bill D

Bill Dufour
03-14-2023, 4:20 PM
MY 10% guess is a total guess. you do some research and let us know a better answer.

Brian Holcombe
03-14-2023, 4:24 PM
Spoke with Hitachi and they recommended the WJ200-075. Seems overkill for this but buying once is cheaper than twice.

On the tablesaw I used a big resister to slow it to a quick stop. For this I知 going to program it to free wheel and I値l use the foot pedal to stop it.

Bill Dufour
03-14-2023, 4:29 PM
To me that factory switch seems funky. Feel free to reuse it or repalce it with something normal. Not bad to have at least an off switch on both ends.
Since I added a big mushroom stop switch on my TS I almost never turn it off other then with my knee. A lighted switch would be nice. A foot off switch on a cord could be nice or it would be a trip hazard.
BillD

Brian Holcombe
03-15-2023, 12:06 PM
That switch is going and being replaced by typical push button switches.

Aaron Inami
03-16-2023, 10:20 PM
I know this is late (I was on travel when you posted). The 3-phase 4KW motor is basically a 5.5HP motor. The WJ200-037LF won't work because it's rated for 5HP output when using 3-phase input (you only have 240V single phase as a power source). You can certainly hook up single phase to a 3-phase VFD, but you will only be using 2 of the 3 input diodes for power generation. This means the 037LF will only be able to power a 2.5-3HP motor at that point.

They are recommending the larger WJ200-075 so that the single phase input will still be able to generate enough power to run a 5.5 HP motor.

There are other VFDs that are specifically engineered for single phase input. This one is a somewhat less expensive model compared to the Hitachi 075HF:

https://www.ato.com/7-5hp-single-phase-to-three-phase-vfd

I use the 5HP ATO for running my Clearvue 3-phase Baldor motor and it does perfectly fine.