PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Woodworking Show

Matt King
01-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Well, the money train I'd hoped for didn't come in after all, so I wasn't able to get all of the things I'd mentioned in my previous "what if"/wish list.... :rolleyes:

I ended up with the Dewalt 8" Dado (DW7670, I believe). It looked to be about the best deal for the money - $91 bucks at the show, btw. It has 4 1/8" chippers, 1 1/16 and 1 3/32, 24 tooth outer blades, and 4 ea of .005, .010, and .020 shims. It seemed to leave a true flat bottom and very crisp, splinter free cuts, even when cross-cutting thin veneer and melamine. No, it's not a Forrest, but it's pretty darn close for 1/3 the cost, basically. It looks to me like it's a better deal than the Freud 208 set, and every bit as good a tool as the 508.

I picked up one of their 50 tooth combo blades as well. Again the test cuts were really quite good. Not quite as burnished as the WWII, but not burned when stalled in the cut brifely either. For $45 I figured I couldn't really go wrong! I'll get it on the saw in the next couple days so I can make some test cuts and I'll post the results here.

Anybody else here make it to the show?

Take care,

Matt

Doug Jones
01-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Just remember, your results with the blade could be a lot different than what you saw at the show. Different tables, different alignments, different results.

Chris Fite
01-28-2006, 10:45 PM
I had planned to go, but was to tired when I got off work at 8:00 a. m. to drive 180 miles.

Matt King
01-28-2006, 10:45 PM
YES! I could not agree more. That's why I'm looking forward to giving 'er a spin on my saw where I know things are *pretty well* lined up. I'm curious to see how it does on an every day saw instead of a precisely tuned cabinet saw. My saw is tuned just as well as you can get a 20 year old Craftsman tuned, but a cabinet saw it's just not! I've been quite pleased with the results of my WWI and with an OLD freud combo blade that really could use a good sharpening, so I'm hoping that this one will fit right in.

I'll update as soon as I know for sure!

Matt

Ken Alcott
01-29-2006, 12:25 AM
I was able to make it on Friday for awhile Matt. For a newbie like me it was great. The budget wouldn't allow me to go crazy but would have liked to pick up that dado. I did manage to pick up some items for around the shop though. I can't wait until the next show here in Atlanta.

Matt King
01-29-2006, 8:32 AM
Just curious - my wife says she thinks there weren't as many vendors at this show as there were at last years' show. It did seem a bit more spread out or something to me as well.

What did y'all think about the show and all of the A-Z classes?

Matt

Rick Shelton
01-29-2006, 9:01 AM
Just curious - my wife says she thinks there weren't as many vendors at this show as there were at last years' show. It did seem a bit more spread out or something to me as well.

Matt

I didn't think so either. Heavy on "classes" and Dewalt/PC/Delta boothes. Companies that I didn't see that have been there in the past: Leigh, Keller, Highland Hardware, TWC (bankrupt, IIRC), Jointability, Woodline, Woodcraft, and a lot of the smaller (junk) dealers that I can't remember. If some of these were there and I didn't see them, my apologies. Very crowded.

A lot of the people that WERE there had much smaller boothes. The show didn't take up the entire hall as it has in the past.

Two things that I would have liked to have seen: Festool (Sure would like a hands on. I can't believe there isn't more of a presence in a town the size of Atlanta.) and MiniMax. Guess I'll have to wait for the IWF in August. This is the real show.

I watched a couple of classes on finishing (actually, just borrowed a chair for a few minutes ;) ). Too broad for all practical purposes, IMO. More of an infomercial than anything else.

If you've never been, it's worthwhile. Otherwise, it's pretty repetitive (same ol' same ol').

Richard Wolf
01-29-2006, 9:58 AM
Keep in mind that most off these demo saws at show have been "tricked out" with super bearings and turned arbors to get those really great cuts that you can never seem to get on your own saw at home. I love the guys that are using 50 year old table saws that look like they are bounced around in their trunk every week to sell saw blades that make cuts we would all be proud off. Once you get the blade home, It still leaves someting to be desired!

Richard

Bob Noles
01-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Pretty bad when they have it in your own backyard and you still can't muster the interest to venture over for a peek :eek: I must be getting old(er) :rolleyes:

Ken Styer
01-29-2006, 7:34 PM
I've only been to one woodworking show and that was in Minneapolis a year ago last fall. Got what I was looking for, a bandsaw, a MM 16. I was really impressed with all the displays and demo's. Looking forward to the show in Milwaukee next month.

Sam Chambers
01-29-2006, 7:41 PM

Matt
There weren't as many vendors this year. Most obvious was TWC, which went out of business. They always had a huge presence (in terms of square footage). Peachtree WW Supply picked up some of the slack on the cheaper items. The good news was that the aisles seemed wider, and it felt less cramped.

I only attended 2 of the A-Z classes - one on turning acrylic pens and Kelly Mehler's sesson on jointers. I thought both vere very good.

Bob Wingard
01-29-2006, 7:53 PM
I too picked up one of the DeWalt 50 tooth blades for $45.00 I don't expect it to be as good as my Forrest, but it's a good backup. Picked up some stuff from Sommerfeld including his tongue & groove system which I have used (borrowed) and was pretty well pleased with.

A friend of mine who works for Redmond & Son at the show said that the show has all new promoters who are trying different things this season. He says they are great people and that next year's show should be better. He usually has a heads-up on this kind of stuff so I tend to believe him. We'll see .. .. ..

All in all, it was a more compact show, but pretty well attended by both vendors and customers. Not too many really good deals, but a pleasant day wandering around and taking in some of the new, free seminars.

Bob Hoffmann
01-29-2006, 9:39 PM
Did you noticethat Jeseda was back! Didn't talk to them, but I thought that it was interesting that they have been reserected.

I picked up a Kreg t-track, stop and ruler for my sliding table, and ordered some glue from Lee Valley(good deal -- no tac or shipping if order from the show).

Rick Shelton
01-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Did you noticethat Jeseda was back! Didn't talk to them, but I thought that it was interesting that they have been reserected.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this is some brokerage (?) firm that is clearing out the remaining inventory of (now defunct) Jesada. They've been at the past few shows.

Bob Wingard
01-30-2006, 6:00 AM
It's a company called "RAZOR TOOLS". I talked with him & he claims they are carrying Jesada stuff, but that they are NOT selling off old stock .. .. .. I don't know how he will continue to get product if Jesada is, in fact out of business !! !! !! Time will tell.