PDA

View Full Version : Wood River Hand Planes

Jerry Thompson
03-12-2023, 7:06 PM
Is anyone familiar with these plans? Are they worth the money?

Mike Evans
03-12-2023, 7:35 PM

They are good planes. Worth depends on the individual considering the purchase and what is important to them. Like any brand, you have to know how to set them up and maintain them. There are other good brands on the market also. You might want to check out the Rob Cosman videos since he uses them extensively.

Frederick Skelly
03-12-2023, 8:12 PM
I have two- a #1 and a #3. I like them. Be aware they are heavier than their Stanley counterpart. They are clearly a chinese knockoff of LN. But the fit and finish of the version 3s is good. I didnt need to fettle mine at all - just sharpen and go. Personally, I decided to spend a little more and buy LV planes to round out my set. But there's nothing wrong with the Wood River.

(WR's prices have gone up since the version 3's were introduced a few years back. A #4 is now $215. An LV #4 is only $24 more, at $239. A LN #4 is now $415.)

John Keeton
03-12-2023, 8:29 PM
The LN iron 4 is $340. The bronze 4 is $415.

Frederick Skelly
03-12-2023, 8:46 PM
Thanks John. I missed the iron version when I looked. :)
I think I'd reach for the LN at that price.

steven c newman
03-12-2023, 8:49 PM
Question is about the Wood River planes....I do have the #62, btw....not bad, really. Though I much prefer my Vintage Stanleys and Millers Falls....

Ken Fitzgerald
03-12-2023, 10:37 PM
I have 2 Wood River planes, a low angle block plane and a #4 smoother, IIRC. I have other lower quality block planes I've sharpened, and I don't like, or use them. The Wind River block plane is my favorite. The other plane, I have sharpened and not used it yet.

Rafael Herrera
03-13-2023, 9:47 AM
I handled the planes at their store. Personally, I found them too heavy. On a smoother, which may be used for thin easy shavings, it may be ok. On a jack or a no. 6 or 7 plane, you may no appreciate the weight on long planing sessions.

Jim Koepke
03-13-2023, 11:31 AM
There are many things about the WoodRiver line up of planes to turn me off that have nothing to do with their usability.

Other than that, one point a buyer might want to consider is what happens if they need a replacement part?

Another point many of us consider is what is the resale value?

Prices currently are a bit crazy due to production problems experienced around the world.

Just now looking at completed sales on ebay for WoodRiver #5 planes it doesn't look like a great return on investment.

Of course that could change over the years. A few SMC members have been restoring and selling Stanley planes (that are likely better than they were new) for a little extra income.

Almost all of my old Stanley planes would now sell for more than my purchase price (even unrestored). Even some planes purchased from Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen have appreciated above their original purchase price.

Our tools are an investment in our craft. They can also be an investment for our heirs whether they want to follow our footsteps into the craft or they decide to liquidate our estate.

In my way of considering the purchase of tools, there is more to consider than usability, weight or the functionality of a product.

jtk

Ken Bangham
03-13-2023, 11:36 AM
Anything beyond their #4 is too heavy for me. The Wood River #7 is 9 ˝ lbs.... Yikes! Their block planes are nice.

steven c newman
03-13-2023, 11:49 AM
Bear in mind...a Stanley No. 8c (in my till right now) weighs in at about....10 pounds....and it makes the Stanley No. 7c I have feel lightweight....

Like I said, I have the WR #62 in the til....much prefer a normal #5.....

Michael Fross
03-15-2023, 5:20 PM
Ken, just wanted to say how much I’ve enjoy your YouTube videos. They are very entertaining and I always learn something. Ok, back to the topic at hand…

Phil Gaudio
03-15-2023, 5:41 PM
RE: Woodriver Planes:
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/john-ruskin-quotes)

Jim Koepke
03-15-2023, 5:46 PM
RE: Woodriver Planes:
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/john-ruskin-quotes)

One of my favorite quotes Phil.

jtk

Tom M King
03-15-2023, 6:22 PM
and why I will never use one.

Stephen Rosenthal
03-15-2023, 7:37 PM
…Same here.

Ken Bangham
03-15-2023, 8:15 PM
Ken, just wanted to say how much I’ve enjoy your YouTube videos. They are very entertaining and I always learn something. Ok, back to the topic at hand…
Thanks Michael, nice of you to say.

Bob Jones 5443
03-16-2023, 12:53 PM
The LN iron 4 is $340. The bronze 4 is $415.

Off topic, but if I had buying my L-N 4-1/2 over again, I wish I’d gone for the bronze and non-corrugated.

If I wanted their No. 4 today, I’d get the bronze for the heft and the cool factor.

More off topic: I’ll never part with my iron corrugated 4-1/2 because it was set up with the direct help of David Charlesworth himself. He also fashioned a little English walnut block to fit in the space behind the tote, to take the thumb force. Sentimental value.

A bit closer to the topic: I’d go for Lie-Nielsen today if only to celebrate their return to somewhat regular production. We almost lost them. I’ll take them over a low-cost knockoff any day of the week.

Btw, hi John.

John Keeton
03-16-2023, 1:07 PM
Bob, I hope you are doing well!! I have two bronze No 4s, a bronze 3 and a bronze 2. I have owned owned and sold two other bronze 4s as well as three bronze No 1s. Even with small hands the 1s didn’t seem to appeal functionally, but they are such neat little planes!! Needless to say, I like bronze as well.

I stumbled into an iron 4 1/2 and at first didn’t care for it. Even offered to sell it to a creeker looking for one. But, recently I played with it a bit and rather like it. For me, in bronze I think it would be quite heavy. A corrugated sole might help some, but it sure would look neater in bronze!:D

steven c newman
03-16-2023, 1:39 PM
Hmmm..left The Bronze Age a few thousand years ago...and haven't looked back....and, since Wood River does NOT make theirs in Bronze...moot point.

I did have the #4 a long time ago..right about when Wood River was changing over to the Version 3 models...the one I received was a mis-match between the two versions...and did not work...even with the new parts, it still wasn't much use, except to produce see-through shavings....which does NOT get the work done....only good for showing off.

Stanley No. 4-1/2c, Type 11 is in use in my shop...

Anuj Prateek
03-17-2023, 1:09 AM

I have a block plane and #5 Woodriver v3. Both are fine planes. Blades needed flattening but rest was fine. They were worth the money back when I bought them.

At the current prices, I will suggest to pay a little more and get LV planes. LV has better fit and finish. Blades are flat out of the box.

Bob Jones 5443
03-17-2023, 1:54 AM
Bob, I hope you are doing well!! I have two bronze No 4s, a bronze 3 and a bronze 2. I have owned owned and sold two other bronze 4s as well as three bronze No 1s. Even with small hands the 1s didn’t seem to appeal functionally, but they are such neat little planes!! Needless to say, I like bronze as well.

I stumbled into an iron 4 1/2 and at first didn’t care for it. Even offered to sell it to a creeker looking for one. But, recently I played with it a bit and rather like it. For me, in bronze I think it would be quite heavy. A corrugated sole might help some, but it sure would look neater in bronze!:D

John, quite well, thank you, and you as well I hope.

Yes, the weight may be why L-N discontinued the bronze 4-1/2(?). My iron 4-1/2 already weighs as much as my Stanley 5-1/2 (although it’s a 1931 and therefore 1/8” narrower than a current 5-1/2 — 2-1/4” vs. 2-3/8”). But still that Lie-Nielsen sole thickness, plus the heavier blade and breaker, add up to a handful. In bronze it would be a Big Boy.

Derek Cohen
03-17-2023, 8:48 AM
The LN #4 1/2 (I have the Anniversary model) is indeed a large and heavy plane. It does not get a lot of use in my workshop, but it comes into its own when smoothing wide panels. Its high mass helps with keeping it in the cut. I would not want to use it too frequently.

I've replaced the original 50 degree frog with a 45 degree one ..

https://i.postimg.cc/qRPPq9sk/1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rod Wolfy
03-17-2023, 2:07 PM
I did not think Lie Nielsen made a 4˝ in bronze at any point, other than their 500 Anniversary planes, signed by Tomas?

rich mccarthy
03-17-2023, 2:44 PM
and why I will never use one.

I not overly Jingoistic but I do try to support the North American makers whenever i can. Are they more expensive - yes, Are they better - yep, are the Chinese copies good enough?- probably for most people, much of the time. Are Lie Nielsen and Veritas companies North American treasures that we need to support - YES. I totally understand that not everybody can afford them but I feel that we need to do whatever we can to keep these quality companies around. Good point about replacement parts by one of the other posters. A couple of calls to their customer service people over the years has always reinforced my feeling that quality and good service makes up for extra cost.

John Keeton
03-17-2023, 3:00 PM
I don't want this thread to drift into a political discussion, but generally speaking I think the US must wean itself from cheap Chinese imports for a multiplicity of reasons. Each of us is a part of that situation and for my part, I will support LN and Veritas whenever their tools will fit my needs.

There are enough vintage planes for those that don't want to or can't afford LN or Veritas. Woodworking is not a cheap hobby or vocation. Like wood turning, there doesn't seem to be an end to the number of toys we "need."

Phil Gaudio
03-17-2023, 3:02 PM
I did my part John:

https://i.postimg.cc/ydh8YVs0/IMG-0658-zpssadzku2n.jpg (https://postimg.cc/R6FBgx30)

steven c newman
03-17-2023, 3:03 PM
There goes that Xenophobic BS, again....

What about the tools from the U.K.? Clifton ring a bell...

What about the tools NOW being made in India? No..NOT Kunz....the real tools made in India....maybe go and ask Rex Krueger about those new planes....

Or...we can get back to the question at hand..has anyone DARED to use a WR plane? Instead of trying to sell other brands....about like listen to one of the old Toyota Sellathons....

John LoDico
03-17-2023, 3:42 PM
While knocking Chinese stuff, people have no problem re-mortgaging their houses to buy Japanese chisels, or German-made Festool and Knipex, or any of the other non-North-America-made tools that crowd our workshops. I have a couple of veritas planes and a $25 block plane I bought at Home Depot that was assuredly made in China. I use it the most of the three. Here's another adage I like (in fact it's written in chalk on the walls of my basement workshop): "It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools."

John Keeton
03-17-2023, 5:20 PM
My comment has nothing to do with India, England, or Germany - none of which present a danger to our country. Nor, is it Xenophobic. I have nothing against Chinese people. It is simply about our fragile supply chain, theft of intellectual property and balance of trade coupled with the CCP virtually controlling their businesses. Surely, you guys take a break from your woodworking every now and then to watch the news.

Derek Cohen
03-17-2023, 7:52 PM
I did not think Lie Nielsen made a 4˝ in bronze at any point, other than their 500 Anniversary planes, signed by Tomas?

Rod, about 5 years back, LN had 5 or so bronze #4 1/2 planes for sale. The bodies must have been left over from the Anniversary run. These planes came with 45 degree frogs (the A came with 50) and plain, standard lever caps (the A came engraved). The Anniversary model also had a Rosewood handle and knob.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bob Jones 5443
03-17-2023, 9:51 PM
That’s interesting. When I first went shopping for a Lie-Nielsen plane, it was 2007 or 2008. Bronze 4-1/2s were in the catalog then. I didn’t have the historical knowledge that they were a limited anniversary run. They stayed available for some time after that. Hard to believe there were only 500, but if so, then I’m doubly disappointed I didn’t buy one. Again, that’s only because I think they’re cool.

To that other point, the innovator gets my loyalty, not the imitator, with less emphasis on the country. Lie-Nielsen has the track record — they took the initiative to bring back the Bailey/Bedrock design and beef it up for an enhanced modern tool. They win, in my opinion. In the same way, I also prefer certain authentic German tools, even if US makers have found a way to copy them.

Then again, I own Narex Chisels made in the Czech Republic. That acquisition was guided by price in 2011. But my second set were made in Warren, Maine.

Keegan Shields
03-17-2023, 10:03 PM
I’ve owned old Stanley, WR, LN, and LV planes.

When I made the decision to go with LN/LV planes, most were only $50-$100 more than the WR equivalent. That gap widened some when LN raised their prices.

The Quangsheng planes work fine. But for a purchase I plan to make once and use for the next few decades, I choose to go with LN. They are a joy to use, have smoother adjustments, and less backlash. And being a domestic company is a plus in my book. Where I can, I prefer to support US manufacturing directly.

Stephen Rosenthal
03-17-2023, 11:26 PM
My comment has nothing to do with India, England, or Germany - none of which present a danger to our country. Nor, is it Xenophobic. I have nothing against Chinese people. It is simply about our fragile supply chain, theft of intellectual property and balance of trade coupled with the CCP virtually controlling their businesses. Surely, you guys take a break from your woodworking every now and then to watch the news.

Very well stated, John. I am in complete agreement. The improper use of the word xenophobic by a previous poster reminds me of a Mark Twain quote, to wit, “The difference between the right word and the almost right word is like the difference between lightning and the lightning bug.”

Ken Fitzgerald
03-18-2023, 12:04 AM
I chuckle when someone says I don't want this to go political and then makes a political statement. Promoting not buying from China is, in fact, a political statement.

And once again, this thread was started to and is a political statement.

John Keeton
03-18-2023, 5:11 AM
Politics -

“The art or science of government or governing, especially the governing of a political entity, such as a nation, and the administration and control of its internal and external affairs.”

Ken- I would think “patriotic” would more accurately describe my comments.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-18-2023, 12:30 PM
I'd suggest John there is a distinct difference between nationalism and patriotism.

mike stenson
03-18-2023, 12:34 PM
I'd suggest John there is a distinct difference between nationalism and patriotism.

This is truth. Humans are inherently political beings, whether that presents a problem or not is in how we express it.

steven c newman
03-18-2023, 1:07 PM
Actually, I really do not care where the planes are/were/will be made....I really only care about how well they work for the tasks I NEED them to do....and, are easy to keep them that way...

Rod Wolfy
03-18-2023, 1:34 PM
Rod, about 5 years back, LN had 5 or so bronze #4 1/2 planes for sale. The bodies must have been left over from the Anniversary run. These planes came with 45 degree frogs (the A came with 50) and plain, standard lever caps (the A came engraved). The Anniversary model also had a Rosewood handle and knob.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek. I thought so. I recall finding out late that they were being made and none were available in the US anymore. I contacted a shop in Australia & was able to buy 2 and have them shipped to the US. I didn't know about the 5 left overs. Rather unique.

I kept contacting them last year to see what the 40th anniversary was going to be, but COVID apparently made it never happen.

Bob Jones 5443
03-18-2023, 2:16 PM
Politics -

“The art or science of government or governing, especially the governing of a political entity, such as a nation, and the administration and control of its internal and external affairs.”

Ken- I would think “patriotic” would more accurately describe my comments.;)

In my life I’ve noticed that each decade is different from the previous one. In the current decade, Americans have lost the last bits of tolerance for the values held by others. It’s remarkable to me.

John Keeton
03-18-2023, 3:43 PM
This thread has gone awry and for whatever part I played I apologize! And, I agree there is a distinct difference between nationalism and patriotism. But, to clarify, I fully support a healthy trade relationship with any and all countries that deal with us fairly and do not take overt actions that are a threat, physically or economically, toward our country. We have some great friends in this world, but we also have a few, very few, that would like to see us lose our position in the world. I think we need to be very cautious in our dealings with those countries and never become dependent on them.

I have said enough and will no longer respond in this thread. Again, my apologies for my part in derailing the thread.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-18-2023, 4:08 PM
This thread has gone awry and for whatever part I played I apologize! And, I agree there is a distinct difference between nationalism and patriotism. But, to clarify, I fully support a healthy trade relationship with any and all countries that deal with us fairly and do not take overt actions that are a threat, physically or economically, toward our country. We have some great friends in this world, but we also have a few, very few, that would like to see us lose our position in the world. I think we need to be very cautious in our dealings with those countries and never become dependent on them.

I have said enough and will no longer respond in this thread. Again, my apologies for my part in derailing the thread.

John,

I couldn't agree more with your statement.

Here's the thing. People with lower incomes may not be able to afford to not shop for products made in China. My sister, a nurse practioner, ran a clinic near Hyden, KY for several years and she spent a lot of her time researching for OTC medications available at Walmart to recommend to her patients because if she wrote a prescription, they couldn't afford it and thus their illnesses would go untreated.

I don't want to rehab vintage tools. I want to work wood, in my less than skilled manner.

In my WoodRIver planes case, as a retired person on a fixed income and an amateur woodworker, I won't necessarily buy the most expensive tools if I can find a lesser priced product that will perform the job for me. Beyond that, I want to hold that tool. I have extremely large hands and wear an XXL glove. I want to hold that tool to make sure it fits my ham hooks. WoodCraft in Spokane has removed a lot of money from my pockets. When I bought those planes and chisels, I actually cancelled an order from L-V for the chisels as they indicated they couldn't supply my order until 6 months out or more. I cancelled the order and drove to Spokane. My loving wife insisted I buy what ever tools I felt i needed. Thus 2 WoodRiver planes and a set of WoodRiver chisels came home with me. FTR, I own a L-V 1" bench chisel.

Again, I couldn't agree more with you John in your last statement. I try to buy products made in nations other than China as much as I can afford and justify!

Thanks for treating me and my opinions with respect, my friend!

Like John, this will be my last response to this thread and I too, apologize for making it political.

Ken Bangham
10-06-2023, 7:17 PM
Oops...just saw this. Sorry for the late reply. Thank you, I enjoy sharing my workshop projects on YouTube. Best regards.

steven c newman
10-07-2023, 6:21 PM
BTW....I do indeed have a WR No. 62 IN my shop....just saying...

Reed Gray
10-08-2023, 10:31 PM
Oh, back to Woodriver planes. I am one who HAS to experiment. I blame my dad, who was an engineer. I got a #5 Woodriver plane. As for $5 planes, I have a LN, a Stanley or 2, a Woodriver, and a Bridge City. Oh, a Winchester too.... The woodriver has a wider iron than my LN, so some times I use one, some times the other. Only thing I don't like about the Woodriver is the handle. Rob tilted it a bit more to the front, and that leaves a bump in the handle that makes for a sore spot on the heel of my palm. Other than that, when tuned up, all of them work fairly well. My least favorite is the Bridge City. Rex Kruger did a video about them and it was spot on with my thoughts. The sole needed to be flattened. I don't like the double edged blade. I might be able to figure out how to use the adjustment lever cap, which appears to be similar to the Woodriver block plane. That means I might have to use it some more..... I guess just about any tool can be used, or maybe you can learn to use any tool out there, but some work better than others. You could take either the Woodriver or LN and use it straight out of the box, but it is far better to go through it first.... The Woodriver is a good plane.

robo hippy