PDA

View Full Version : Zero clearance inserts

Bill Ledoux
01-28-2006, 9:34 PM
Hi all, I'm planning a couple zero clearance inserts for my table saw. Sould these have set scres for adjustments, and how do I install these in the wood? Thanks....

Jim Becker
01-28-2006, 9:51 PM
Some folks use set screws...I use masking tape for most of mine. For the set screws, just drill holes slightly smaller than the screws and...screw them in.

Jamie Buxton
01-28-2006, 10:05 PM
You may well not need set screws. Manufacturers put set screws in their inserts so that each saw owner can adapt the insert to his saw. You don't need that generality. You only need your insert to fit your saw. On many saws, the bosses which support the insert are milled at the same time that the table top is milled, and they're all the same distance below the table top. Measure the distance from the top of the table to the support bosses. If they're all the same, you can just make your insert that thickness -- without fussing around with screws and taps and such.

Mark Singer
01-28-2006, 10:09 PM
I don't use screws...with the blade al th way down and the fence over the new insert....sloyly raise the blade while the saw is going....make sure the fence is a little to the side of the blade. That is a safe way of making the sawcut.

Don Baer
01-28-2006, 10:18 PM
I do my ZCI like Mark. If the thickness of the insert isn't quit equal to the table I use some good ole blue tape on the piece to raise it so it is equal to the table. No need to make this complicated.

Doug Jones
01-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Corian inserts with set screws. Not that complicated or difficult.

Bart Leetch
01-28-2006, 11:13 PM
I purchased a poly cutting board from ACE & drilled & used set screws. The cutting board is big enough to make 7 throat plates & with set screws & all only cost a little over $3 per insert.

Chris Curry
01-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Bill - I scooped this somewhere (have no idea where or who to give credit to) Thought it was a good idea for installing zero clearance inserts.
Cheers, Chris

Larry Fox
01-29-2006, 1:18 AM
I actually made three of them on Friday night and I did just as Jim said with the set screws. I used 1/2" MDF and drilled slightly smaller than set screw and just screwed them in. I used the set screws that were in my original throat plate and just move them from insert to insert as the inserts get replaced.

Ron Robinson
01-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Bill,

I made inserts out of some 1/2" MDF scraps and actually drilled and tapped it for the set screws.

Ron