PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Cover Bag?

Derek Arita
03-11-2023, 12:19 PM
I have a Rikon 10-326 that I'd like to cover with a clear plastic bag. Problem is I don't know how to find one. I'd like it to cover all the down to the ground. Any ideas???

Bill Dufour
03-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Plastic will hold moisture and may cause rust. How about a cloth sail bag or a old dome tent.
Bill D

Edward Weber
03-11-2023, 12:46 PM
Look for a smoker or patio heater cover.
Just an example
https://www.coversandall.com/grill-heating-covers/fire-column-covers/fire-column-covers-design-6-p?gclid=Cj0KCQiA6rCgBhDVARIsAK1kGPKEaqquNcXJ7mztIL Cpkp9PTWD0BW38A1zdY_zTwAJ9z5taJiADK00aAka3EALw_wcB

Derek Arita
03-11-2023, 1:47 PM
I’m looking for something see-through and not ridged, like a tarp.

Jamie Buxton
03-11-2023, 2:15 PM
You might have to make your own. You can buy clear sheet vinyl PVC by the yard from a roll that's 54" wide. My local plastics place has it in 10, 20, and 30 thousandths thick. I use the 20 thou version to make vacuum bags. I've also seen it in fabric stores; think clear covers for sofas and such. I glue it together with PVC cement from the same plastics place. If you can't find the stuff locally, I'm sure you can buy it on the web.

Patrick Varley
03-11-2023, 2:16 PM
Seconded the recommendation for CoversAndAll.

They have clear vinyl covers: https://www.coversandall.com/custom-covers/clear-covers/clear-vinyl-covers-p

You provide the dimensions and some pictures, and they'll custom make it. I've had a good experience with a few covers, including an odd-shaooed L couch.

Cameron Wood
03-11-2023, 2:17 PM
6 mil plastic and some small spring clamps.

Jamie Buxton
03-11-2023, 2:20 PM
How are you going to put this bag on the saw, and take it off? That's an awkward thing to put over the machine.

There are outfits which make stuff for dust control on home remodels. They offer sheet plastic, and they offer parts which become doors with zippers. You open a zipper to walk through the door, and zip it closed after. Making your bag with the zipper technology would get you easier access to the machine. You might even be able to hang the enclosure, and never even take it off the saw. You unzip it, and drape it behind the machine, where it is out of the way when you use the saw.

Richard Coers
03-11-2023, 9:04 PM
https://www.coversandall.com/custom-covers/clear-covers/clear-vinyl-covers-round-cylinder-shape-p?gclid=Cj0KCQiA6rCgBhDVARIsAK1kGPIu60aba8ZIjAFIdM LGISbshZAlx0ApmrxZTtMOL5OaYH5YNDEBb3caAiwMEALw_wcB

Derek Arita
03-12-2023, 9:54 AM
Thanks all. I think I'll be looking into Coverandall for sure. That said, if I could stitch clear plastic together, I'd make my own cover.

Jamie Buxton
03-12-2023, 11:57 AM
Thanks all. I think I'll be looking into Coverandall for sure. That said, if I could stitch clear plastic together, I'd make my own cover.

No stitching required. Use PVC cement.

Bruce Mack
03-12-2023, 12:13 PM
A bit off topic but relevant to others perhaps, I have used 55 gallon opaque plastic trash bags to protect my bandsaw and drill press when an ice dam on the roof created a leak that made it to the ceiling of my basement shop. No direct hits but I cringed.

Derek Arita
03-12-2023, 12:32 PM
No stitching required. Use PVC cement.

Jamie, will PVC cement work on plastic drop cloth, like the ones at HD?

Derek Arita
03-12-2023, 5:51 PM
Well, just placed an order on Coversandall. Certainly not cheap, but I suspect it'll be done better than I could do. I ordered it with a zipper to make easier to take on and off. Thanks all for the help.

Jay Bryant
03-12-2023, 5:58 PM
Oops, too late, but I was going to suggest a mattress shipping bag.

Derek Arita
03-12-2023, 6:07 PM
Oops, too late, but I was going to suggest a mattress shipping bag.

Could work, but I don't have one. I'll have to save the next one.

Earl McLain
03-12-2023, 9:16 PM
Mattress bag is a good thought--but since Derek doesn't have one, maybe check with a local furniture or mattress store for something they take off a demo or delivery piece?? Just thinking out loud. Bags on the outside of carpet rolls may or may not be large enough in diameter.
earl

Brad Chenoweth
03-13-2023, 7:07 PM
I fear this is a rust problem waiting to happen...

Derek Arita
03-13-2023, 7:35 PM
I fear this is a rust problem waiting to happen...

Not so much up here in NorCal.

Derek Arita
04-03-2023, 5:55 PM
Well, I got my bag from Coverandall. lt's pretty nice, with a zipper and piped seams. I overestimated the size, but it'll work just fine and is just what I wanted. The zipper makes it pretty easy ob and off. Thanks for the help.

https://i.imgur.com/6FOxYtP.jpg

Bill Dufour
04-04-2023, 12:19 PM
Reminds me of British comedys with mini telephone booth size beach umbrella cabanas. Then you wife and her friends would know you as the cabana boy. Do you own the uniform from Legally Blonde?
Bill D