PDA

View Full Version : Scoll saw table ideas

Robert Hartmann
03-09-2023, 3:23 PM
My daughter (11 yrs old) is my woodworking buddy. Among other things she got into cutting out shapes with a coping saw. So what do you buy your daughter for x-mas? A Wen scroll saw of course. I've been looking at ideas for mobile tables, but not sure what to use. I haven't used a scroll saw before, so I have no experience for what's best. Should it be low to sit at or table height (adjust for her) to stand? What's your preference? I also want it to be mobile so she can pull it out whenever she wants. Having her lift it is not a good option. I've seen a few tables on the net, but just not sure the best approach.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

Doug Garson
03-09-2023, 7:48 PM
Not an expert by any stretch but I prefer sitting (I use a drafting stool) with the saw tipped at about a 15 degree angle on my workbench and most important, a foot operated on off switch.

Christopher Charles
03-09-2023, 11:48 PM
Great way to spend time with your shop buddy! Mine saw is on a metal stand that came with it, but any desk or table suitable for a sewing machine would be perfect. Foot switch is essential.

Jim Morgan
03-09-2023, 11:49 PM
Saw tipped forward for visibility? +1 for foot switch.

Dave VanDewerker
03-10-2023, 12:45 PM
Your chair has to match the table height, my scroll saw is low so I have a low chair. The saw table is just above my elbows and tilted about 15 degrees so my arms and back are in a natural position for me. You don't want to be hunched over the saw. I know some people that put their saws on a bench and use a taller drafting chair, some prefer to have a back on their chair. It took me about a year of trying different things until I finally settled on my current setup.

Robert Hartmann
03-11-2023, 9:14 AM
Thanks all. I assumed standing would be better, but it makes sense after thinking about it more to sit.

Rich Engelhardt
03-11-2023, 1:14 PM
My Wen scroll saw is going on a flip top cart. Maybe have the 10" Wen bandsaw on the flip side.

Dave VanDewerker
03-11-2023, 3:18 PM
Thanks all. I assumed standing would be better, but it makes sense after thinking about it more to sit.

I can routinely be using my scroll saw for several hours at a time, standing would not be an option for me.
I spent about 2-1/2 hours cutting these out yesterday.