PDA

View Full Version : Different kind of Band Saw Box

Perry Holbrook
01-28-2006, 8:11 PM
I've always liked band saw boxes after making a few out of "that" book. However, for my needs, those boxes don't fit. Since I sell to galleries, my work must be an original design and have a signature look that is easy to identify as mine. To be profitable they also need to have less labor in them.

Specifically, I needed to design something that could be made in no more than a couple of hours, require little or no hand sanding and use as little material as possible.

Anyway, I just took a few photos of what I came up with. The lift off lids are fused glass. The interior is flocked. The majority of the machining is done with the band saw, scroll saw, edge sander, and flap wheel sander. The finish is 2 coats of guitar lacquer. Woods are either Cherry or Ambrosia Maple.

Thanks for taking a look. Perry

Bob Noles
01-28-2006, 8:15 PM
Perry,

Those are some extremely unique pieces of art. I really like the creativity that shines through on these.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim Becker
01-28-2006, 8:25 PM
Those are OUTSTANDING...and definitely Perry Holbrook. Bravo!

Michael Stafford
01-28-2006, 8:46 PM
I like 'em Perry. Are you cutting them out freehand or are you using a template and guide on the bandsaw? Should be popular items. Good job!:D

Karl Laustrup
01-28-2006, 8:49 PM
Perry, I'd say you've fulfilled all your requirements with those. I think they are unique and very nice. I'm not going to show them to LOML.

Karl

Frank Chaffee
01-28-2006, 9:21 PM
Wow Perry,
The fused glass shapes and the wood forms are great together, and I really like how the pieces in each set fit together and form a larger pattern!
Frank

Perry Holbrook
01-28-2006, 9:35 PM
Thanks for the looks and comments. My largest wholesale show is coming up next month and I'm hopeful these will generate some orders.

Big Mike, I cut them freehand on BS around the traced pattern.

Perry

Mark Singer
01-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Perry,
Just beautiful and unique!