PDA

View Full Version : Plywood blade for Circ Saw

Mark Rios
01-28-2006, 7:34 PM
Ok...Dino is shipping my new EZ-Smart system to me and I went to Lowes and got the Milwaukee 6390-21 at a killer price ($80.63 + tax). Now, what do you folks use for ripping and cross-cutting veneered plywood with your circ saws? I've got lots of 18 and 24 tooth 7 1/4" thin kerf blades (construction blades) but no really "good" blades. Thin kerf or full 1/8" kerf? I'd think that with a corded saw you wouldn't have to use a thin kerf. And with the full kerf you don't have to worry about blade wandering, or is that an issue with the EZ-Smart?

Thanks to all.

Don Bergren
01-28-2006, 8:08 PM
I'm using the Freud 40 tooth Diablo thin kerf with my quide and the cuts are incredible. It's an excellent blade for the type of cutting you plan on doing. There is no worry about blade wandering or deflection with the guide, and the thin kerf kicks up less dust which is very helpful at cleanup time. They run about $14.99 and can be found at Home Depot, or so I'm told. My came from Tool-Plus.

Matt Meiser
01-28-2006, 8:20 PM
I have a 40 tooth Freud thin-kerf blade that works great and cost about $20 at Lowes a year or two ago. Dino mentions one either in the instructions or on his site that he's had good luck with and runs $15 and is what I will buy when I replace mine eventually.

Dan Rider
01-29-2006, 5:37 PM
About a year ago, I found myself shopping for the exact same thing. My research led me to choose the Freud Diablo 7 1/4", 40 tooth, but none of my local retailers had one in stock when I needed it. I ended up getting a CMT 24 tooth (very thin kerf), and have been very happy with the results. I've used it exclusively for plywood & sheet goods. I'd still like to try the Freud one day.

JayStPeter
01-29-2006, 6:34 PM
I used to use the 40 tooth Freud for plywood. After an oops I needed an immediate replacement and the local Borgs were out, so I bought a 40 tooth Oldham. It worked similarly 'till I got my Festool.

Jay

Jack Clark
01-29-2006, 7:38 PM
Has anyone used the 40 tooth Freud Diablo thin kerf on their circular saw with the EZ-Smart system to cut laminate floor planks (e.g., Pergo)?

Just wondering about the chipping factor on that type of material. There are some specialized blades made for laminate, but I have not found one yet in the 7 1/4" size.