PDA

View Full Version : Wood Screws - Where do you buy your wood screws

Michael Sebar
03-05-2023, 6:52 PM
Where do you buy your wood screws. Looking for another source with good pricing.

Frederick Skelly
03-05-2023, 7:12 PM
I've been happy with McFeeleys. LINK (https://www.mcfeelys.com/screw-fastener-web-store/select-a-screw.html)

Lloyd McKinlay
03-05-2023, 7:12 PM
Quickscrews has good quality at a decent price but shipping on smaller quantities is a killer. Otherwise Spax or GRK from the big box but never the wildly misnamed Everlast.

roger wiegand
03-05-2023, 7:31 PM
My friend who is an organ builder in Belgium recently sent this picture of some new screws he was opening up for use on a restoration project. All I know is that I want to be able to go to his hardware store! I'd kill to find a good assortment of screws like this.

Jim Becker
03-05-2023, 7:39 PM
McFeely's ....

Maurice Mcmurry
03-05-2023, 7:59 PM
Jamestown Distributors has some nice offerings.

Cameron Wood
03-05-2023, 8:36 PM
I don't buy them, they just show up. On Friday for instance, 30 lbs of 3 1/2" SS screws and 14 lbs of 2" galvanized ones appeared. A week or two before, another big assortment of SS and other screws- 25 lbs or more- didn't weigh those.
I think they like to be with their own kind.

Here's a sampling of some of the smaller amounts:

Lee Schierer
03-05-2023, 8:43 PM
I've switched to Spax screws. The do the same job, are much stronger and don't cam out when driven. Both of the two local big box stores carry them.

Gary Petersen
03-06-2023, 12:05 AM
I like WoodPro by A&C Eagle and buy them mostly direct or from Amazon. The AP8X114 #8 x 1-1/4" is a go-to wood screw for me. I've never had one break on me. They have nibs on the underside of the countersink head that help retain the screw in the hole. The top portion of the screw is threadless to help draw the second board tight against the first. And they have a star drive which has eliminated stripping of the head in my use.

http://bandceagle.com/fasteners.php?type=packaged_screws

Zachary Hoyt
03-06-2023, 6:47 AM
eBay is my preferred source for wood screws and machine screws. It takes a bit of searching but there are some good deals.

Alan Lightstone
03-06-2023, 8:11 AM
McFeely's, although there are several sizes in the past year that they no longer have that I've needed.

Also, Bolt Depot I've been using more and more lately. They seem to have the ones that McFeely's doesn't.

David M Peters
03-06-2023, 11:27 AM
I use Bolt Depot for wood screws and other oddball stuff that I can't get at the home center. It's easy to find what I need and their shipping is reasonable.

Bill Dufour
03-06-2023, 12:13 PM
Pacific bolt in town. It has like a ten dollar minimum. Ebay for stainless fence screws from some guy in Hawaii.
Bill D

Monte Milanuk
03-06-2023, 4:46 PM
I've switched to Spax screws. The do the same job, are much stronger and don't cam out when driven. Both of the two local big box stores carry them.

Same here. Though 'Spax' seems to be mainly the bigger sizes (almost lag screws), around here, and GRK is the brand that HD covers more often and that covers most normal screws sizes.

Michael Sebar
03-06-2023, 6:04 PM
I am currently using Spax and never had one issue with them. Just thought I can get them cheap if I go larger quantities. 500 to maybe 2500 per size.

Bill Dufour
03-07-2023, 12:08 AM
I have found for gun nails the nail store price is about 50% of the box stores. Similar for the bolt store.
Bill D.

Patty Hann
03-07-2023, 1:05 AM
Bolt Depot and McFeely's for most fasteners
HD and Lowes and Ace (for GRK),
Micro Fasteners and FastenerExpress (for teeny tiny fasteners...02,01, 0, 00 sizes, especially brass)
Amazon occasionally for the the teeny, tiny stuff
McMaster Carr for the oddball stuff

Edward Weber
03-07-2023, 1:15 PM
This is one of those open ended questions.
It depends on the project. I don't use too many screws on interior projects but for outdoor applications I use stainless. I get mine at Albany county Fasteners. I also get most of my Nuts, Bolts and other mechanical fasteners there.
https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA3pugBhAwEiwAWFzwdan4uDVi4-5iKXMSpQYn_qIMvjNcB8OUOWx4TrYtOmyxzGIHmnkaYhoC7_sQ AvD_BwE

David Powell
03-07-2023, 9:29 PM
McFeely's for many years. Now use Tacoma Screw which serves a good portion of the Pacific Northwest.

Joel Gelman
03-07-2023, 10:51 PM
I have used McFeely square drive for many years, and keep their flat head in many sizes. I friend showed me from Hafele Zip-R screws with nibs under the head that are self countersinking in plywood. His were Phillips, but they are available in square drive. I have an inventory of every practical size, but if I saw starting over, maybe I would look more at the Hafele.

andrew whicker
03-07-2023, 11:46 PM
We have a local store called Nut and Bolt Supply that is awesome and cheap. I go there for pretty much everything.

John LoDico
03-08-2023, 5:48 PM
GRK Fasteners are great and are readily available. When I was building a boat I got stainless steel screws through Jamestown Distributors. They have a good general selection.

Michael Sebar
03-14-2023, 10:03 PM
Thank you everyone who gave me feedback, I now have many places to choose from. Just placed and order with Mcfeely.

Patty Hann
03-14-2023, 10:27 PM
Thank you everyone who gave me feedback, I now have many places to choose from. Just placed and order with Mcfeely.

And the winner is....(may I have the envelope, please).......McFeely's!!! :D

(How apropos, what with St Paddy's Day looming....)

Andrew Seemann
03-15-2023, 12:05 PM
Menards is typically where I get screws from, but they are regional to the midwest. I normally use "gold construction" screws in woodworking, basically Spax type screws, or else deck screws (I avoid visible screws normally). I absolutely despise traditional tapered woodscrews and do not willingly use them for anything, with the possible exception of matching existing hardware on a period item.

I usually get specialty screws like drawer side ones from Rockler.

Michael Sebar
03-15-2023, 7:08 PM
That’s what I been using but I can’t get all the sizes in my area.

George Menz
03-17-2023, 7:23 PM
McFeely's here too since the 90's. It is so nice to only rarely having to run out to the HW store for a screw to finish a project. Started back in the 90's when the nearest HW store was 15 miles away. Was a pain making multiple trips per project. 10 years later we had big box stores all over the place and close by, but still always maintained my supply of screws from McFeely's.

The prices have gone up quite a bit since the 90s.

Jason White
03-19-2023, 7:49 PM
GRK and SPAX from Menards.

Brian Holcombe
03-21-2023, 8:48 PM
Every screw I’ve used from Hafele was a pozi drive.

I like Spax screws mainly, they’re great.