PDA

View Full Version : Jet jointer knives in delta jointer

cody michael
03-04-2023, 8:20 PM
I have a delta x5 jointer, I just picked up some jet jj6-k or 708801 knives at an estate sale thinking they may fit. After some research the delta knives are 3/4 in wide, the jet are only 5/8 the other dimensions are the same (length/width) can I use these knives? If not does anyone have a suggestion on where to sell them? I have 2 sets brand new in package.

Andrew Hughes
03-04-2023, 8:54 PM
I think you can.
If the face of the knife is wider then the gibs it’s fine. The question is do the jet knives say what hss they are?
Good Luck

cody michael
03-05-2023, 7:31 PM
I think you can.
If the face of the knife is wider then the gibs it’s fine. The question is do the jet knives say what hss they are?
Good Luck

They are OEM Jet, these are smaller in width(from cutting surface to back) (thickness is the same 1/8, length same) then what mine calls for. These are 5/8 mine are 3/4.

Andrew Hughes
03-05-2023, 9:18 PM
It’s surprising how many sharpening we can get from jointer knives before they are too narrow.
My jointer can take a 1 3/8 wide knife. I have a set that’s only 3/4 wide. I could still use them if I wanted but they are pretty warped from all the years of grinding away metal I’m guessing from one side. So they sit on my shelf collecting dust
Good Luck

cody michael
03-06-2023, 6:48 AM
Thanks! For your help, my said are pretty bad right now I'll try these out.

Dan Hahr
03-07-2023, 10:15 PM
They are probably going to stick up too far above the cutterhead to be right. I don't think the jack screws will go low enough. I have that jointer and use Freud 6 x 5/8 x 1/8 knives. Fairly cheap on Amazon. I sharpen them with a Duelen jig and sandpaper until they get badly nicked.

Dan

Andrew Hughes
03-07-2023, 11:09 PM
Dan could be right.
My first read of your question was a error on my part. I thought you bought 5/8 and jet suggested 3/4.

I apologize if I caused you trouble and wasted time.
Good Luck