PDA

View Full Version : adjusting blade of a cabinet scraper

Bruce Mack
03-04-2023, 4:39 PM
The difficulty I have had in setting a cabinet scaper blade has made its use a chore. Even when I pressed the blade downward on a flat surface while securing the 2 set screws it barely caught most of the time. Elevating the leading edge of the scraper with a piece of typing paper sometimes helped, but the increased blade projection might make the scraper catch excessively. Today, trying to scrape glue lines of a thin panel, I used a small polyurethane dead blow hammer to whack the blade while it was secured and resting on the workpiece. I got a controlled shaving which by estimate may have been only a few thousands (inch) thick and effective wood removal with no stutter. It worked every time and the hammer did not damage either of the 2 scraping edges.
If you own a cabinet scraper and wonder why, try this variation.

Tom Bender
03-08-2023, 7:57 PM
How about a picture?

Bruce Mack
03-09-2023, 6:28 PM
How about a picture?
Tom, these photos were taken today. The hammer has 2 plastic faces. I use either when I need more depth. The oak is tough so I added cherry to show what can be removed. You did me a favor because I learned to burnish a better burr from the 45 degree scraper.

Cameron Wood
03-09-2023, 7:11 PM
I have the Kunz (sp?) version that recently showed up, and I don't see the point of having a cutting edge on the back of the blade since you need to hit it to adjust, can cause injury, and is likely to be nicked by the time you would go to use it. I'll grind it off.

Paul F Franklin
03-09-2023, 8:44 PM
I wonder if tapping the bottom of the scraper body (not the blade) might also work, similar to what is done with wood planes? Will have to try this next time the scraper comes out.

Bruce Mack
03-09-2023, 9:02 PM
I have the Kunz (sp?) version that recently showed up, and I don't see the point of having a cutting edge on the back of the blade since you need to hit it to adjust, can cause injury, and is likely to be nicked by the time you would go to use it. I'll grind it off.
You're right. If the edge doesn't scrape well I'd rather just do it over. In truth I think a cabinet scraper is inferior to a random orbital sander for edge leveling of a glue up. I have an adversarial relationship with mine and use it in the futile hope of mastery and to avoid the noise and hoses of a vac hook-up.

Cameron Wood
03-09-2023, 11:31 PM
You're right. If the edge doesn't scrape well I'd rather just do it over. In truth I think a cabinet scraper is inferior to a random orbital sander for edge leveling of a glue up. I have an adversarial relationship with mine and use it in the futile hope of mastery and to avoid the noise and hoses of a vac hook-up.

Lol. If it's any consolation, I have an adversarial relationship with random orbit sanders, and threw them all away.

Lee Schierer
03-10-2023, 9:11 AM
After struggling for years with a cabinet scraper trying to get it to work consistently, I switched to a regular hand help scraper. My cabinet scraper is now a decoration on the wall of my shop. Hand held scrapers are much easier to sharpen and use.