PDA

View Full Version : cracked plane mouth

Kelly Anderson
01-28-2006, 6:40 PM
I found a very nice newer Stanley 4 1/2 c today at a flea market. While inspecting it I noticed that the mouth was cracked on each side at the corners going back to the rear for about 3/16ths. It was a good price and I was sad to see the cracks :(. I do not have much experience with hand planes so my question is, will the cracks be a major problem with the plane? It otherwise was in great shape.

Mike Wenzloff
01-28-2006, 7:00 PM
Hi Kelly,

If the rest is in good shape, and it is extremely cheap, it would be good for parts.

But the body is trashed. Not that you cannot braze it back together, but it is almost certain it will not be flat-soled afterwards without much work.

Take care, Mike

Kevin French
01-28-2006, 9:09 PM
So'd you get it?

If you didn't go after it and get it after the lowest price based on it being cracked, have it repaired, try to flatten it, if it doesn't workout sell it for parts.

I found a #7 on ebay the was cracked on one side of the mouth. I was the only bider. I had it welded for $10 and it work fine. As long as it's not broken in two a good welder can repair it.

JMHO

Kevin

Corvin Alstot
01-28-2006, 11:43 PM
will the cracks be a major problem with the plane? It otherwise was in great shape. Kelly/ This is similar to a cracked or bent frame on a car. It maybe driveable but its not for top performance. Its good for parts, and it may be useable but I would not waste a lot of time trying to tune it up.