PDA

View Full Version : Google can be totally useless

Kev Williams
03-04-2023, 3:33 PM
Ever since Walking Dead and Sheriff Grimes always wearing his hat--
I've wondered what the 'dingle-ball' things tied to his hat means, or signifies?

The Sheriff on the news lately in California discussing all the snow they've been getting, his hat has blue cloth versions of them...

So I decided to google what they are, and no matter how I try to explain them, google has NO idea what I'm talking about!

So.... Anyone? :)

Rob Luter
03-04-2023, 3:48 PM
Google “Acorn Hatband”

https://www.cavhooah.com/pages/hat-cords

Doug Garson
03-04-2023, 4:03 PM
I think you should change the title to "I'm totally useless at using Google" :cool:, I just Googled "sheriff hat cords and got this as the first return https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_cord

Rob Luter
03-04-2023, 4:36 PM
I think you should change the title to "I'm totally useless at using Google" :cool:, I just Googled "sheriff hat cords and got this as the first return https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_cord

ouch man….

I entered “military hat band embellishments “

Kev Williams
03-04-2023, 4:42 PM
so excuse me for not asking for 'hat cords'-- which is why google is getting useless, 'tied to hat' should be enough for a search engine to look for anything tied to a hat, including 'cords'...

Seems all search engines care about these days is finding ads they can send people to. All about the money. So here's mine 496899

and an edit, I just went to https://www.cavhooah.com/pages/hat-cords and, I can find several pictures like these-
--see any 'dingle-balls'? Me neither... ;)

Doug Garson
03-04-2023, 5:36 PM
Like these?? https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0109/5535/8271/files/hat-cord_480x480.jpg?v=1647889708
Followed your link and this came up. :confused:

Bob Borzelleri
03-04-2023, 6:27 PM
I’m guessing that your problem was that you were using “The Google”.

Jim Koepke
03-05-2023, 1:20 AM
A search engine is only as good as the search terms one uses.

jtk

glenn bradley
03-05-2023, 10:12 AM
so excuse me for not asking for 'hat cords'-- which is why google is getting useless, 'tied to hat' should be enough for a search engine to look for anything tied to a hat, including 'cords'...

I recall looking for a certain type of buffer "wheel". My Google-Fu is pretty good and I couldn't find the thing. Finally while reading an article the author used the term "string buffer". Googled that . . . viola . . . there are hundreds of shapes and sizes. We have definitely gotten used to having Google appear smart. Strip off all the razzle-dazzle and in the end it is just a decision engine. The old axiom still holds true; Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum (garbage in, garbage out). Not to say that your search terms were garbage. Just in this case they were not useful to the search engine. It sometimes pays to use an alternate search engine.

Edward Weber
03-05-2023, 10:30 AM
I have often found myself down some strange and disturbing rabbit holes looking for the proper terminology. just so i could start to do my actual search.

Many years ago I wanted to make one of those tools used for scoring the top of bread. Nothing more than a small handle with a razor sharp blade in it. I couldn't think of the name to save my life. I kept using the terms slice and knife. These words did nothing more than confound my search. Had I used the correct terms (being more literal) it wouldn't have taken near as long to find what I wanted.
I have since gotten much better at internet searching.

Andrew Joiner
03-05-2023, 11:46 AM
I usually click on images for a broader search. For me the visual gets me the words or extra info I need.

Michael Weber
03-05-2023, 1:54 PM
I’m finding lately that rather than using google or other search engine, that when I want to know something like the OP’s question I have more success asking Openai.com in plain language.

Larry Frank
03-05-2023, 7:10 PM
Searching Google or others takes some trial and error. Sometimes, you just can not find the right terms. Google can not read your mind and if you do not use the rights each terms that is not Google's fault.

Edward Weber
03-05-2023, 8:30 PM
I have found over the years to not try and be so clever.
Just say what you want and type it.

I tried to find out what was wrong with my garage door once.
After typing in terms like intermittent error and sensor problems, with no luck. I finally typed in, my garage door is possessed, and the first page had the answer I needed.

Bruce Wrenn
03-05-2023, 9:07 PM
A search engine is only as good as the search terms one uses.

jtkToday, searched for "Calabash Style Seafood in northeastern Wilmington NC." Google found me plenty of bars, pubs, and other places, non of which featured Calabash Style Seafood. Go figure!

Bill Dufour
03-05-2023, 10:01 PM
The navy has scrambled eggs on their hats don't they?
Bill D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrambled_egg_(uniform)

Dave Zellers
03-05-2023, 10:56 PM
...I finally typed in, my garage door is possessed, and the first page had the answer I needed.

OK, NOW we're getting somewhere! Does this work for wives too?

Kidding! I'm kidding!

Honey?

Larry Frank
03-06-2023, 7:25 AM
What I did about Google is all the sponsored results which are useless.

Curt Harms
03-06-2023, 8:14 AM

I often use the site "startpage.com". It somehow uses Google's search engine but filters out some of the ad-blasting and intrusiveness. I don't know how/why Google tolerates that, I'm sure there's something I don't know or understand.

Lee DeRaud
03-08-2023, 10:29 PM
I have often found myself down some strange and disturbing rabbit holes looking for the proper terminology. just so i could start to do my actual search.

Many years ago I wanted to make one of those tools used for scoring the top of bread. Nothing more than a small handle with a razor sharp blade in it. I couldn't think of the name to save my life. I kept using the terms slice and knife. These words did nothing more than confound my search. Had I used the correct terms (being more literal) it wouldn't have taken near as long to find what I wanted.
Uh, "bread scorer"? :)

And so, this:

Edward Weber
03-09-2023, 10:18 AM
Uh, "bread scorer"? :)

And so, this:

That's exacty how it went
I don't think I'll ever forget Lame again

Jim Koepke
03-09-2023, 11:04 AM
Today, searched for "Calabash Style Seafood in northeastern Wilmington NC." Google found me plenty of bars, pubs, and other places, non of which featured Calabash Style Seafood. Go figure!

Sometimes one word is better in a search than two. Calabash is many things:

It can be a town, name of a business, a tea, a pipe, a plant. Down at the bottom is calabash seafood. Selecting that gave a better result:

Though that may have been further than you wanted to drive.

jtk

Brian Elfert
03-09-2023, 11:59 AM

Those sponsored results are a big part of how Google provides their service for free. Google changed how sponsored results are displayed very recently and they are more annoying now.

Alan Rutherford
03-09-2023, 12:01 PM
It's all in how you search.
Although I don't think that feature has been available since April 1, 2013.

Lee DeRaud
03-09-2023, 1:07 PM
Although occasionally the algorithm has a sense of humor: