PDA

View Full Version : Sargent #35 plane

carey mitchell
03-04-2023, 10:01 AM
I was given a Sargent #35 rabbet plane yesterday. Its in good condition overall, with only light rust and dirt, Japanning is about 50%. I have not begun to clean it up. It appears to be an early type, before the ear was added.

I know nothing about Sargent planes.

Q: I saw some prices that I think are ridiculous. Once cleaned and the rust gently removed, would replacing the Japanning be advisable? *

* I've used what was said to be the Stanly formula, of alphaltum artists' pigment dissolved in varnish; it gives an identical appearance. a note: dissolve the pigment in a little acetone first, then add to the varnish, otherwise a lot of stirring is necessary. The acetone evaporates quickly and does not affect drying time.

Jim Koepke
03-04-2023, 1:40 PM
Carey, I believe your plane is more commonly known as a dado & rabbet plane.

If your interest is in retaining its collector value than it may be better to not replace or repair the Japanning. The condition is part of the history.

The "prices that you think are ridiculous" are likely due to this not being a very common plane.

Some more information > http://www.sargent-planes.com/sargent-no-35-dado-rabbet-plane/

jtk

carey mitchell
03-04-2023, 7:43 PM
Carey, I believe your plane is more commonly known as a dado & rabbet plane.

If your interest is in retaining its collector value than it may be better to not replace or repair the Japanning. The condition is part of the history.

The "prices that you think are ridiculous" are likely due to this not being a very common plane.

Some more information > http://www.sargent-planes.com/sargent-no-35-dado-rabbet-plane/

jtk

I cleaned it up with Krud Kutter and it made a huge improvement. A half-hour in Evaporust removed the little rust that was present, and did not change the patina at all. I decided to stop at this point. Overall, this is in very nice condition.

The price range quoted on www.sargent-planes.com/tag/sargent-35-dado-plane/ says $2-400, but the author claims that was about 50% too high.

Jim Koepke
03-04-2023, 8:08 PM
I cleaned it up with Krud Kutter and it made a huge improvement. A half-hour in Evaporust removed the little rust that was present, and did not change the patina at all. I decided to stop at this point. Overall, this is in very nice condition.

The price range quoted on www.sargent-planes.com/tag/sargent-35-dado-plane/ says $2-400, but the author claims that was about 50% too high.

My ebay search only indicated to recently in completed auctions:

The first with shipping and only one bid sold for ~#90. The second we do not know what the price was since it was an accepted lower price on a "Buy it Now" or "Best Offer" listing.

Collectors will bid higher for "bragging rights" while users prefer to get their tools at a reasonable price.

jtk