PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID

Mitch schiffer
03-03-2023, 6:09 PM
Anyone have any idea what this might be? A buddy of mine got some from a local sawmill in Wisconsin. It was sold as walnut, but here it is next to walnut. It doesn't look much like it.

Maurice Mcmurry
03-03-2023, 6:27 PM
The board in image 1 looks like rosewood. The live edge piece in image 1 looks like walnut. Image 2 looks like the same rosewood looking board and another piece of walnut. (mostly guessing)

Mitch schiffer
03-03-2023, 6:37 PM
The board in image 1 looks like rosewood. The live edge piece in image 1 looks like walnut. Image 2 looks like the same rosewood looking board and another piece of walnut. (mostly guessing)

Thanks. Both are next to walnut for reference.

Mike Hollingsworth
03-03-2023, 7:12 PM
Nothing is clear here

Thanks. Both are next to walnut for reference.

Mark Gibney
03-03-2023, 7:15 PM
Nothing is clear here
I agree, I'm confused as to which one is the walnut and which is the mystery wood.
From the photos I could easily accept that it's all walnut - it comes in a rainbow of tones and colors, from tan with rose to dark brown.

Robert Hayward
03-03-2023, 7:44 PM
I agree that both pieces look like walnut.

Brian Tymchak
03-03-2023, 8:57 PM
My vote is that both are walnut. The one on the left looks kiln dried where as the one on the right looks air dried.

John K Jordan
03-03-2023, 9:04 PM
Walnut has a distinctive smell when cut or sanded. If it doesn’t smell like walnut it’s something else. If you want something other than guesses get someone with experience to examine it. If you are serious about knowing, read the Wood Identification page on the Wood Database web site and examine the end grain as described. If it’s not important enough for that just make up a name and some people will believe it.