PDA

View Full Version : Leigh DR4 Asymmetrical Dovetail Video

Rick Fulford
03-03-2023, 12:10 PM
Has anyone seen a good video on making asymmetrical dovetails with a Leigh DR4 jig? I want to make boxes where the bottom tail is much wider than the others. It seems that I need to use both sides of the jig for this and my results have been hit and miss.

Ron Selzer
03-03-2023, 2:20 PM
trying to wrap my head around this, I have and use a D3. The dovetail spacing and size most of the time is wider and bigger at the bottom than the top. I have always used the left side of the jig.
When I do carcass sides (20-24") I typically stay same size dovetails, when I do drawers (6-12") then the bottom dovetail is wider than the top.
Just don't understand why you would need to use both sides of the jig.

Rick Fulford
03-05-2023, 7:19 AM
Perhaps I am doing something wrong. I think I am following the instructions but I must be missing something.

John Erickson
03-05-2023, 7:58 AM
I have always used both sides of my D1258 so I have the bottom tail wide enough to accommodate the drawer bottom with out being seen. This way I can do both sides of the drawer without moving any fingers. I always referenced the drawer bottom to the side stops.
Although the jig joints are acceptable and maybe even stronger than hand cut. After years of using the jig I taught myself with the help of YouTube how to cut dovetails by hand. What I learned was that it's not that hard cutting them by hand, almost as fast and with much better joint appearance.

John Kananis
03-05-2023, 9:24 AM
Follow the links for your dr4, there's tons of video on the leigh site.

https://www.leightools.com/instructional-videos-and-user-guides/

Rick Fulford
03-05-2023, 1:47 PM
I found the video I was looking for on the Leigh website in chapter 14 of the D4R Pro Complete Video.
Thanks to everyone for the replies.