PDA

View Full Version : Low Profile Dog / Stop

glenn bradley
03-02-2023, 11:55 AM
I'm a hybrid guy. I have shown this before but was just using it and thought I would toss this out there. A dog with a flat head bolt threaded into it as a low profile dog / stop comes in handy.
496667 . 496668
Great for planing or sanding thin stock.
I just used it to sneak up on a tight fit for some miter keys.
You never know when some random post like this will help someone.

BTW, been meaning to replace the 1/4 - 20 flat head steel bolt with a brass one. I'll stumble over one at some point.

Jim Koepke
03-02-2023, 12:44 PM
Great idea Glenn. My only change would be to use a brass screw for the softer metal in case of an accident.

I like this better than my shimmed dog:

The shimmed dog has to be stored off bench. It wasn't glued and the shim fell out and was lost in the shavings on the floor.

jtk

Cameron Wood
03-04-2023, 2:16 AM
Good idea. I use mostly Japanese planes so I clamp a scrap in the vise as a stop.

Cool looking plane as well.

William Fretwell
03-04-2023, 7:29 AM
Have you thought about flattening at least one side of the screw head to increase contact area? Adding filed teeth to the edge significantly increases grip.

glenn bradley
03-05-2023, 9:39 AM
Have you thought about flattening at least one side of the screw head to increase contact area? Adding filed teeth to the edge significantly increases grip.

For this purpose the sharp angled edge of the screw keeps the end of the thin stock pressed to the bench. I have other low profile stops for other purposes. I was just using this one yet again the other day and thought I would share. I think we all do things that we don't really think about that could benefit others. I always pick up a trick or two when someone posts such things and wanted to pay back. :)