PDA

View Full Version : 23 gauge pin nail appearance

Stan Spencer
02-27-2023, 5:15 PM
I'm using 3/4" 23 gauge Grex pin nails to glue and fasten a 1/4" sheet of 2 sided mahogany veneer with an MDF core to solid mahogany. I have applied a hardwax finish to the mahogany at this point and it has cured.

The problem I am having is that the end of the steel pins can be seen in the final product. Most people probably won't see them but I'd like to make them less perceptible.

Cadex claims the end of their pins are rounded to reduce the chance of seeing them.
Is there a pin that is painted brown?
Perhaps I could increase the air pressure to try and drive the pin a bit further into the surface.

Thanks for your help.

Tom M King
02-27-2023, 7:25 PM
I switched to using stainless steel pins for everything because often I'll put a drop of water over the hole to let the wood swell back over it.

Doug Garson
02-27-2023, 8:37 PM
Maybe try a touch up with a wax filler stick? https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/supplies/finishing/wood-fillers/20069-wax-filler-sticks?item=53Z0107&utm_source=free_google_shopping&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping_feed&gclid=CjwKCAiAxvGfBhB-EiwAMPakqn6Z0Lp6zm0gm8DvoiKY3Idc6E0Lmka3MBwrcuu5JJ MEGpRog7D2rRoCi_4QAvD_BwE

Bernie Kopfer
02-28-2023, 12:50 PM
I switched to using stainless steel pins for everything because often I'll put a drop of water over the hole to let the wood swell back over it.

What a clever method!

Glenn Leite
02-28-2023, 5:16 PM
Brilliant!!!!

Sometimes I'd wipe a tiny bit of glue in with my finger, and then sand to fill.

Richard Coers
03-01-2023, 12:07 PM
Brilliant!!!!

Sometimes I'd wipe a tiny bit of glue in with my finger, and then sand to fill.
You don't rub the glue into the wood grain around the pin and have an issue with a discoloration and a tiny bit of grain filled too?

Glenn Leite
03-01-2023, 3:14 PM
You don't rub the glue into the wood grain around the pin and have an issue with a discoloration and a tiny bit of grain filled too?

I mainly do this when the finish is paint.