PDA

View Full Version : Assembly table ideas, please!

Steven Shelby
01-28-2006, 3:17 PM
I have a 24x24 garage shop with a very uneven concrete floor. I am in serious need of a Flat surface for assembly. I am currently working on a 48" cupboard that needs to be laid out for assembly of the carcase.

So... I want to build an assembly table that will accomodate a project of this size and will also fold up out of the way so I can still park my cars. So far, here's what I've got: Flat surface means MDF, probably 6/4 (2x 3/4 laminated). I know the stuff is heavy but it's the flatest and most stable surface I know of for this type of project. Not sure of the size: thinking either 4x6 or 5x5... need suggestions. At the moment (and this idea just started to materialize this morning) I'm thinking of designing it as though it were a giant TV tray, with scissor style legs and locking casters so I can fold it up and roll it away.

As I say, this design is in it's very early childhood (infant, at best) and is entirely in my head at this point. I'm hoping that you, my fellow Creekers, can provide insight, suggestions, ideas, maybe even plans for a similar project. Thanks, in advance, for your input!:D

Mike Williams
01-28-2006, 3:41 PM
Steven - I can't help you with the fold-down portion, but I've seen a number of articles that recomments a torsion box as a (relatively) light and absolutely flat work surface. David Marks did a 4 part show on building one on the DIY Network. A link to the show is at:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_materials_products/article/0,2049,DIY_14442_2278181,00.html

Hope that helps.

Bart Leetch
01-28-2006, 4:48 PM
Steven

You might Private message Steve Jenkins he uses torsion box assembly tables in his commercial shop. Click on the below to PM Steve.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=190

Joe Unni
01-28-2006, 4:53 PM
Steven,

I just received the new American Woodworker and on page 92 is a set of fold-away frames that are used individually or together as work space support. That with a piece of plywood or better yet, a hollow core door would be perfect for what you're looking for.

Check it out,
-joe

Michael Gibbons
01-28-2006, 5:34 PM
Steven, Haven't you heard? The garage was designed to be used as shops and storage holes, not a place to park the car. Seriously, check out the New Yankee Workshop episode on the clamp rack and worktable. Might give you some ideas.

Mike

Jim Becker
01-28-2006, 5:34 PM
I'd suggest combining a system like Joe describes that allows for multiple heights with a torsion box top construction. A fixed height assembly table works best with someone that only builds one particular type of project...and adjustable height one works best for when more versatility is needed.

Michael Ballent
01-28-2006, 7:27 PM
I would suggest something like the Festool MFT (multi function table). There are 20mm holes drilled throughout the surface. You do not need to get the MFT but the idea of it is really novel. with all the holes there is no reason that you cannot clamp something onto the surface and since the surface is made from MDF its nice and flat and lighter since there are so many holes.. Just something for you to think about... :)

Before I got my MFT I was using a MDF board over 2 workmates