PDA

View Full Version : Paint shingles ?

Stephen Tashiro
02-27-2023, 6:02 AM
The wind blew about 50 shingles off a roof and I need to repair it. However, the local big box stores only stock matching white shingles in 36"x12" . The shingles on the roof are 38 3/8" x 13 1/4". They only sell the right size shingle in a dark color. I wonder if I should buy the dark shingles and then just paint them white with elastomeric roofing compound after they are installed.

It wouldn't bother me if there wasn't a perfect match. In fact I'd like to distinguish between the areas I repair and the original roof. I do want the roof to be highly reflective.

Jerome Stanek
02-27-2023, 7:48 AM
Check with your insurence company if we loose more then 25 shingles they will pay for a reroof

Tom M King
02-27-2023, 8:57 AM
If that many blew off, I would think more would not be far behind those.

Jim Becker
02-27-2023, 9:40 AM
I agree with Tom...if that many shingles gave way, it's likely many more are close to being loose and gone with the next storm. Talk to your insurance company for sure before you do anything and if you have to do a temporary fix because of a delay beyond "tarp life", just use the color you can get in the correct size given a replacement is likely indicated.

Brian Elfert
02-27-2023, 12:17 PM
There are lots of places to get shingles besides a big box store. Start with local lumberyards. If that doesn't work try roofing supply places. Some will sell to individuals.

I agree with others that you might lose more shingles in the next storm. I have a section of my roof where shingles keep blowing loose, but not enough at one time to merit an insurance claim. I reroofed the front half of the house this past fall and will do the back half of the roof after the snow melts.

Tom M King
02-27-2023, 12:51 PM
Standing seam metal comes in white. I used some once. It doesn't get hot in direct Sun, and won't blow off.

Jerome Stanek
02-28-2023, 7:47 AM
Do not do a temp fix with shingles just a tarp until the insurence company looks at it. My BIL did a temp fix and then was denigned coverage the inspector said it isn't leaking any more.