PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Knife recommendations?

Bob Riefer
02-26-2023, 11:53 AM
Hi all,
I hope to lurk more in this section of the forum as I learn more about hand tools (just starting that journey).

In the meantime, I do have a question I thought you might have a take on...

My 75 year old father is impossible to buy gifts for, the proverbial "guy that has it all", so I try to pick quality over quantity.

He really likes to carry a pocket knife and has a couple sentimental and utility options, but nothing truly noteworthy. As such, I thought he would appreciate a very high quality pocket knife. Some quick searches turns up some beautiful options, but I am unsure how to determine which ones truly stand apart. I'm thinking something sophisticated, sleek, and useful for the small tasks he often uses his knives for (opening packages, odd/small tasks, general day-to-day usage).

Do you have any brands/options that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Bob R.

Jim Koepke
02-26-2023, 12:11 PM
Good morning Bob.

I have carried a pocket knife with me for over 60 years. Over the last 30 or 40 years a small Swiss Army Knife has been my choice. Before that I carried a larger SAK with a corkscrew, screwdriver and leather punch.

When these are in antique or second hand stores for five or six bucks I tend to bring them home. That may stop now since my last purchase brought home a nice stash of these. One even had a small ball pointpen instead of the usual toothpick. My grandkids have loved receiving them as their first pocket knife.

https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/c/SAK

There are many features from which to choose to find one just right for your father.

jtk

David Bassett
02-26-2023, 12:45 PM
Not sure if a Swiss Army Knife counts as special in general or what specifically would appeal to your Dad. But I'm really partial to a specific SAK model, the Rogue now renamed the Rambler. It is the same small length and width as the Classic, (sold everywhere and, I think, most of the models shown by Jim,) but is "3 units" instead of "2 units" thick. With that extra depth it changes the tools and the usage dynamic significantly (IMHO).

First the two unit thick scissors and the one unit thick knife blade both open away from the lanyard eye-hole which reduces interference. Second the extra thickness allows a true Phillips head screwdriver / bottle opener to be next to the nail file. (PS- the SAK nail file may seem silly, but my wife says it's the best metal nail file she has ever used. Though she still prefers a specific brand of emery board.)

You have to search for this model as it is much less common than the Classic, but for an unnoticeable increase in size I find the extra utility well worth the search (and, yes, extra price. It's not carried by the mass market discount retailers.)

Assaf Oppenheimer
02-26-2023, 12:51 PM
your asking a hard question because I have no idea of your budget.

In general, there are the "supersteels" that are popular among high end collectors such as CPM SV30 or CPM SV35, most makers use high end materials to make a high end knife. To start from the top end I like Chris Reev's pocket knives. for something a little more sanely priced you might try BenchMade (I just saw that they offer customization). for an excellent daily carry though, you can't beat an Opinel no.8

chuck van dyck
02-26-2023, 1:06 PM
I was about to say, budget will inform a lot. A damascus Laguiole would be pretty special.

I have a Case Sodbuster that doesn’t leave my pocket.

Rafael Herrera
02-26-2023, 1:16 PM
Without knowing your dad, it'd be difficult to suggest what he would like. If he's the frugal kind, he may not like a fancy knife.

Vintage pen knives can be found on antique stores. You may find something interesting there.

Of the fancy kind, there are many out there. There's a French brand that I like the look of, Laguiole.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2023, 1:52 PM
This is the knife I have used for everyday carry for several decades. https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/activity/everyday/everyday-collection/lst-22-06009 I have donated several to the ATF since 9/11. I buy them locally in an ACE hardware store. They are relatively cheap, reliable, sharpen easily, light weight, and a lock back. This knife cleans easily if used for something that gets it messy and it's made in Portland, OR. When I climb out of bed each morning, I get dressed, loading this knife and a backup set of keys in my left front pocket. I have a much more expensive Gerber lock back knife I carried in my day pack when I hunted elk. It was a pain to sharpen BUT it held it's sharpness through skinning and field dressing several elk before requiring more sharpening.

Bill Carey
02-26-2023, 2:03 PM
I got tired of finding myself needing a cutting edge with one hand holding something so looked for an auto knife I could open one handed, and five years ago settled on this Boker knife. No regrets at all. Carry it at all times.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kalashnikov-Automatic-Knife--9485

(https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kalashnikov-Automatic-Knife--9485)

Edward Weber
02-26-2023, 2:53 PM
I've been carrying a Gerber Paraframe for the last several years.
Lightweight, clip onto my pocket, all stainless.
Goes through everything and can be put through the dishwasher
There are a few different styles
https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/knives/all-knives/paraframe-ii-stainless-serrated-22-48447

Rob Luter
02-26-2023, 3:01 PM
I have a cigar box full of pocket knives. I’ve carried the SAK Classic SD for 35 years. I’ve been through several. The TSA has 3 or 4 of them :(.

Small blade, scissors, nail file, tweezers, and toothpick. Doesn’t take up much pocket space. It’s all I need for an EDC knife.

Keegan Shields
02-26-2023, 3:06 PM
Benchmade with an Axis lock. Closest thing to a fixed blade knife I’ve found in a pocket knife. They have different sizes/styles for different preferences.

I’ve had a Presidio that I’ve used for the last 10 years. It has held up great. Benchmade makes a mini version also if I recall. With and without a serrated section, and in both stainless and carbon steels.

Jim Koepke
02-26-2023, 3:58 PM
I got tired of finding myself needing a cutting edge with one hand holding something so looked for an auto knife I could open one handed, and five years ago settled on this Boker knife. No regrets at all. Carry it at all times.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kalashnikov-Automatic-Knife--9485

(https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kalashnikov-Automatic-Knife--9485)

The large knife in the image with my post is a Boker. That is the knife in my pocket when there is some heavy cutting to do. The blade is easy to grip between two fingers and open (two handed). It's a great one trick knife that has a history possibly predating WW II. Back then there was also an "electrician's" model with a second, large, flat screwdriver blade.

jtk

Jim Koepke
02-26-2023, 4:03 PM
A nice thing about the Swiss Army Knives is there are models to fit the interests of the owner.

Scroll down the Features selection for an amazing array of options.

jtk

Thomas Wilson
02-26-2023, 6:52 PM
Case Medium Stockman with stag scales. I prefer stainless blades to carry everyday. Carbon steel rusts from sweat. Case also makes the Stockman with fancy scales. The knife is otherwise the same. Many people consider Case knives collectible. I think it is a well-made knife.

Derek Cohen
02-26-2023, 7:53 PM
For something special, have you considered …

https://i.postimg.cc/FNSprmZt/2-BB35-FA6-8-A71-47-BD-9-DDC-C276-CC91-B166.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Sam Force
02-26-2023, 8:03 PM
My son bought me an Albatross Damascus. It's a nice knife and if lost will not break the bank

https://www.albatrossknife.com/products.html

Luke Dupont
02-26-2023, 8:09 PM
I find knives are tricky, because they're so personal.

For example, I tend to hate modern super-steels. I want something that takes a keen edge and is easy to touch up. But then I'm not cutting through rope and cardboard all day.

I also really like traditional knives. Even have a few non stainless carbon steel folders that I love.

And as for SAKs... Everyone has their favorite, and even those who have their favorites can't decide which one to carry!

So, it's really a hard question to answer.

The Alox style SAKs look nice and can make a nice gift, though. I don't know if they fit your budget or quality expectations, but the Awl on the Farmer, Pioneer, and Farmer X is incredible.

The Bantam(?) -- that super thin Alox Sak, is also interesting because you can slip it into your wallet or something -- a full sized SAK that takes up no space, essentially.

Higonokami knives might be fun if you think he might like Japanese steel and a simple, traditional folder. Note that they're prone to rusting and so need somewhat better maintenance, but are really nice to have if your tastes are anything like mine.

The other thing I'd personally love is to buy some really old vintage knives. There are a ton of great knives produced 70, 80, 90, 100 years ago that can still occasionally be found in good condition on ebay. Some people probably wouldn't like such things as gifts, but if your dad is like us rust-lovers, they could make a great gift.

Anyway, some indication of your dad's preferences and what he generally uses the knife for might help us offer better suggestions!

Outdoors? Carving/Woodworking? Farm work? Office? Handyman-stuff around the home? All of the above?

One other little tip -- I like to gift knives with a small inexpensive sharpening stone. For those who don't know how to sharpen, it gives them a chance to learn. And for people who already know how to sharpen, well, who wouldn't appreciate a cool little inexpensive Arkansas pocket stone from Dan's or somewhere? It might be a nice way to add a bit of extra value and fun factor to your gift.

John K Jordan
02-26-2023, 9:38 PM

Do you have any brands/options that you would recommend?.

When I saw this thread my 1st thought was “there will be a lot of suggestions!”. Everyone has their favorite.

I’ve carried a lot of different knives over the last 60 years. My all-time personal favorite is the SOG Visionary I. (The Visionary II is bigger than I like.)

I use a knife daily around the farm and house. I like this knife for several reasons.

It is designed for one hand opening, so important when the other hand is busy. Slide it out from where it’s clipped to the pocket and it’s perfectly positioned in the hand to open with a quick thumb push on a raised stud on the side of the blade, positioned for immediate use. I’ve had some knives that needed two hands to open or needed to be repositioned in the hand before use. (may not have time for that that one time I need to cut the tie rope holding a seriously panicked horse!)

Close by sliding a release stud back with the thumb and pivoting the blade back into the handle with the tip of the forefinger. The clip is positioned to quickly clip it back on the top of the pocket.

I did a test to see how fast it can be ready. I removed it from my pocket, opened, closed, and reclipped it on the pocket 5 times in 5 seconds. Granted, there is rarely the need for such speed but it shows how seamlessly it fits into my day. Always one clipped to my pocket, all day, every day, feel naked without one!

Slim, composite handle. The clip can be moved to the other side for lefties.

It appears I’ve bought 11 of these (gave a few away). I keep two small boxes in a drawer, one for sharp and one for dull. When the Sharp box is emptied I get out the knife-sharpening machine and sharpen all the knives in the Dull box.

All black, handle and blade - I like the look.
Durable. I lost one in the mud while catching and wrestling an uncooperative peacock (those things can be a challenge, strong enough to break your jaw with a wing!) and I didn’t find the knife until the next spring - perfect condition after cleaning.

I’ve bought some of the other SOG knives and some other brands to try but don’t use them. I particularly don’t like those with spring assisted opening. Don’t like a big knife either - the handle on these is about 4” long and the blade is just under 3”.

JKJ

George Yetka
02-27-2023, 6:43 AM
I was at the NY knife show saturday and you definitely have to have a budget for this. Some of the customs there were 3-4k. I have a friend who makes custom so I have one of his but I wouldnt otherwise own something so expensive. I have a decent collection of the sub $300 range Zero Tolerence makes a good knife in that category. Benchmade is nice but doesnt hold any finish in my experience. One of my favorites is a new kershaw. I find myself sitting at my desk flicking this one more than any other knife I've ever owned. It is smooth out of the box and its $50 https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Covalent-Bar-Lock-Knife--178506

My most carried is a milwaukee fastback, simple razor blade

Derek Cohen
02-27-2023, 10:29 AM
Hi all,
I hope to lurk more in this section of the forum as I learn more about hand tools (just starting that journey).

My 75 year old father is impossible to buy gifts for, the proverbial "guy that has it all", so I try to pick quality over quantity.

He really likes to carry a pocket knife and has a couple sentimental and utility options, but nothing truly noteworthy. As such, I thought he would appreciate a very high quality pocket knife. Some quick searches turns up some beautiful options, but I am unsure how to determine which ones truly stand apart. I'm thinking something sophisticated, sleek, and useful for the small tasks he often uses his knives for (opening packages, odd/small tasks, general day-to-day usage).

Thanks!

Bob R.

I don't carry a pocket knife on my person. Sort of frowned upon in Australia (in spite of Paul Hogan's famous line).

But I do have one in my briefcase, which is a Japanese knife with a Damascus blade. It is quite wonderful ...

https://i.postimg.cc/8cwdsMNb/snakewood-damascus-0001-snakewood-damascus51-1200x.png

Link: https://www.japanesetools.com.au/products/traditional-japanese-folding-pocket-knife-damascus?_pos=56&_sid=bca54f0d4&_ss=r

Regards from Perth

Derek

Trevor Wentzel
02-27-2023, 11:57 AM
I found myself in a similar position at the start of covid lockdowns and it started a knife making journey for me.
I have found many excellent blade blanks are available at very reasonable prices. I recently put a walnut handle on a small blade for a friend's son. The wood came from his grandfathers childhood farm, so the gift held some meaning.

Bob Riefer
02-27-2023, 12:15 PM
This thread has been so fun to watch and learn, thank you (and keep the ideas coming).

In my case, my father has a couple sentimental, sleek, small folding knives (in the 3" long when folded range) that he sometimes carries - he seems to like that small size for opening boxes, small tasks, but the quality of those aren't great.

He also often uses a mini "super tool" which works well but isn't the "sophisticated" look per se.

So in this case, I'm going towards the small, sleek, folding, sophisticated look, quality blade side of the spectrum. Thinking in the $300 range or so (and some of the options above are in my research board now).

Bob Riefer
02-27-2023, 12:15 PM
Trevor - I like the blanks idea too. Is there any that you can particularly recommend?

Reed Gray
02-27-2023, 12:40 PM
I have carried one from National Pen Company for a number of years, kind of like a Swiss Army knife. One key feature is that it has a little ring that makes it possible to put on my key ring. It was free too. I bought some pens from them, and they sent me free samples for years after. I would like to replace it, but haven't found one similar, yet. Not particularly high grade steel, but since it is on my key ring, I have not been able to lose it....

robo hippy

Keith Christopher
02-27-2023, 1:44 PM
I've always been partial to a schrade Old timer two blade pocket knife.

Cameron Wood
02-27-2023, 1:54 PM
I have favored the boat anchor approach. This is the older one that stays in an at-home pocket- all there but a bit stiff.

Probably doesn't weigh much more than one of those penis-enhancing folders sticking out of some guys' pockets 'tho...

Edward Weber
02-27-2023, 2:00 PM
I'm not a bladesmith but I do like assembling the kits and profiling the handles. Here is the first lock blade pocket knife I put together. The parts are tiny
It came out bot too bad for my first try IMO. Next time I'll use nicer scales.
If you like a fixed blade you can get a small skinner, this has a 2 1/4" blade, Woodcraft kit
Just a suggestion

Lee Schierer
02-27-2023, 2:10 PM
I, like my Father before me, carry Buck 303 Cadet pocket knife. They last a long time and hold an edge. I also have the one my Father carried fo much of his adult life.

Case knives are all made nearby in Bradford PA and are also very good knives.

Ben Ellenberger
02-27-2023, 3:22 PM
I, like my Father before me, carry Buck 303 Cadet pocket knife. They last a long time and hold an edge. I also have the one my Father carried fo much of his adult life.

Case knives are all made nearby in Bradford PA and are also very good knives.

That picture makes me think of my grandad! He did not pay attention to brands, so the one he carried might have been that exact knife or some copy, but he always carried one like it.

chris carter
02-27-2023, 4:09 PM
This thread has been so fun to watch and learn, thank you (and keep the ideas coming).

In my case, my father has a couple sentimental, sleek, small folding knives (in the 3" long when folded range) that he sometimes carries - he seems to like that small size for opening boxes, small tasks, but the quality of those aren't great.

He also often uses a mini "super tool" which works well but isn't the "sophisticated" look per se.

So in this case, I'm going towards the small, sleek, folding, sophisticated look, quality blade side of the spectrum. Thinking in the $300 range or so (and some of the options above are in my research board now).

This has suddenly become very easy. Sounds like you are describing him as a traditional slipjoint kind of guy. This is the world in which I live! And with a $300 budget for a slippy, the answer is very simple: GEC. Done. For current factory production knives GEC is basically the holy grail and will run you right in that price range for most models. Just search “GEC knife” on youtube and you’ll get a ton of collectors showing off their GEC knives (they have a number of brands, but just searching GEC will suffice). You will not be able to buy them directly most likely. Whenever they drop a new knife resellers buy them all up knowing they can flip them a day later for double (or triple) the price. It’s kind of nuts. You will have to go on ebay or dare to venture into the land of slipjoint knife forums. But that’s exactly what you want. Every guy wants to show off their GEC knives to their friends. Go on youtube and you will see exactly what I’m talking about.

If you want to go used, the older case knives come up in mint condition all the time on ebay. They are the most collected brand. With rare exception, the newer ones are not the ones you want. Also, Schatt & Morgan in mint condition would be a good one. Many of the other classic knife companies have changed hands so many times and are often now owned by companies that make cheap (but very serviceable) knives. For example, an old mind Queen is worth a lot. The new Queens are made by SMKW and run $20. So you really have to know what you are doing going down that road.

There are also a lot of boutique makers if you want to go new, but not GEC. Check out Ruple which probably start at the $300 mark.

Only other thing to know is what pattern he will like. If he wants something to actually use (as opposed to “look at”), then stick with the common work knives. Barlow, stockman, and trapper are safe bets. A swell end jack (if you can find one, not too many made these days) used to be a very popular common work knife and is one of my favorite every day carries. A canoe is also a good one for someone that wants to use a knife plenty. If he likes to whittle, a split-back whittler is a good pattern – although I think a stockman actually works better.

Good luck! But yeah, ask any slipjoint nut what to buy with $300 and they will automatically tell you GEC unless they are trying to be cute.

BTW – avoid micarta handles – it’s all the rage but not very traditional. I would also avoid celluloid (modern version is acrylic which is fine) as it has a habit of spontaneously off-gassing and rusting everything around it. Bone is always a safe bet. Stag is always a safe bet. Other “horn” covers tend to have stability issues (all my knives with stability issues are types of horn). Delrin is great stuff, but usually not used on high end knives. Wood is (of course) also a good handle cover material. At $300 you can probably find a 100yr old ebony swell end or equal end jack knife in pretty much perfect condition. I always drool over those but cannot justify spending that kind of money on a knife. They do look sweeeeeet and they always command a pretty penny.

Also, SAKs are technically slipjoints, but are considered a totally different category from traditional slipjoints (even though they've been around a long time). They are good utility knives, although I don't think they make anything I'd call high end or classy.

Bob Riefer
02-27-2023, 4:20 PM
Thanks Mike!

The Buck website really spoke to me (and the pricing was more reasonable than I had anticipated). I ended up with a "Stockman" for my dad, and a "Canoe" for my son. Bought a mug too while I was there to just push me into "free shipping" range.

Mike Henderson
02-27-2023, 4:31 PM
I have a Buck 506. Fairly old (1986). Small, good steel, takes a good edge. 3" long, folded, 2" blade.

Mike

[Added note: Buck has a table on their site (https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/how-old/)that allows you to date you knife.]

Maurice Mcmurry
02-27-2023, 6:40 PM
I have Grandpas old Barlow. It is like his hand saw and the other tools I inherited from him, worn down, way down. It has duct tape grips while I decide between Brazilian Rosewood and Bone for replacements.

Trevor Wentzel
02-27-2023, 8:38 PM
Is there any that you can particularly recommend?

I have had wonderful experience with the blade blanks from Helle, a Norwegian company. They have both full tang and stick tang options.
A local outdoor store carries a pretty complete line up.

Michael Schuch
02-28-2023, 3:52 AM
Hi all,

Thanks!

Bob R.

The Kershaw Leek is a very respected pocket knife. It is a very high quality single blade assisted opening knife which is a perfect gentleman's sized pocket knife with a pocket clip. I have never heard of anyone that owns one not absolutely loving it! --even the pocket knife nerds love them! Look around for a sale. I have two, one in silver and one in black. The black finished one is holding up very well but the stainless steel finish will hold up FOREVER! The blade is plenty big enough for anything I have ever needed a pocket knife for but the package is small and thin enough that you don't know it is there until you need it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009VC9Y0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Leek is a very difficult knife not to fall in love with! They have an incredible feel of quality holding it, opening it and closing it. Very solid construction and a high quality knife steel blade. If you have never had a quality assisted opening knife you need to try one. I can't imagine ever carrying a knife that needs 2 hands to open ever again.

I personally prefer the model with the partially serrated blade. It makes cutting rope and such a lot easier.

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660ST-Bead-Blasted-Reversible-Pocketclip/dp/B0009VC9YA/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2N6P3MSEHLP92&keywords=Kershaw+Leek&qid=1677575965&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=kershaw+leek+%2Csporting%2C124&sr=1-8

Jason Buresh
02-28-2023, 10:38 AM
your asking a hard question because I have no idea of your budget.

In general, there are the "supersteels" that are popular among high end collectors such as CPM SV30 or CPM SV35, most makers use high end materials to make a high end knife. To start from the top end I like Chris Reev's pocket knives. for something a little more sanely priced you might try BenchMade (I just saw that they offer customization). for an excellent daily carry though, you can't beat an Opinel no.8

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the opinel no 8. It's my daily carry, and even though it's not an expensive knife, I have been more than happy with the quality, simplicity, and durability over the last couple of years.

Tom Duboski
02-28-2023, 5:09 PM
I own, and like, a variety of folding knives including Buck, Case, Puma, Columbia River, Opinel, Kershaw [the "leek' is a high favorite] and many more. If it looked right, and had good 'hand', I got it. Some years back I bought a Gerber Bolt-action to take backpacking [weight was a big issue]. Looks similar to one of the Gerber's pictured above. The test of time has proven this little 3 1/2" blade precision made [USA] knife to be the most convenient to carry and use on a daily basis. Remarkably durable, it takes and holds a good edge, remains as tight as the day I got it, and shows little, if any, wear.

Mel Fulks
02-28-2023, 5:34 PM
This topic got me looking at the prices of new pocket knives. I was astounded at the prices. Still have a Case knife I bought over 50
years ago , paid $20 . My parents gave me ….a speech about being “more careful with money”.

Mike Henderson
02-28-2023, 6:12 PM
This topic got me looking at the prices of new pocket knives. I was astounded at the prices. Still have a Case knife I bought over 50
years ago , paid $20 . My parents gave me ….a speech about being “more careful with money”.

Yeah, I bought a Buck 110 folding hunter in about 1971 and it was $20. That was expensive back then.

Mike

Cameron Wood
03-01-2023, 12:24 PM
This is the one that lives on the climbing harness. Good for webbing, peeling oranges, and cutting salami. Not good for peanut butter. 1 3/4" blade. I'm not sure I would carry it in a pocket as the blade can open easily.

William Fretwell
03-02-2023, 7:35 AM
Have a black one. The blade length and shape is very good for cutting cheese. The knife is so slim you don’t notice it in your pocket. You can cut lots of cheese before it needs sharpening ;).

Thomas Crawford
03-02-2023, 11:26 AM
I've carried a Benchmade for over a decade now. I somehow stained the steel badly (really no idea how) and have been looking around. The zero tolerance knives seem quite nice - https://zt.kaiusa.com/0452cf.html

Jim Koepke
03-02-2023, 3:15 PM
A salesman for some other company gave me a Benchmade knife. He told me he knew the owner of Benchmade and was often getting knives from him.

For fast, one handed opening the Benchmade is a good knife. My Boker tends to be in my pocket when some heavy cutting like rope is expected. Though the Boker stays in the house and the Benchmade is in the shop for cutting rope when needed in the shop.

Benchmade makes me think of my early days working for a restorer of Packard automobiles. He explained the difference between an automobile being hand made, bench made and assembly line made. Not sure if that has any relation to the name of the knife maker.

jtk

Kent A Bathurst
03-02-2023, 4:25 PM
I ended up with a "Stockman" for my dad..........

Late to the party.

I have a Stockman. Over 40 years old. Does exactly what I want it to do. Solid. Sharpens great.
Un-kill-able. Your son will one day have that knife.

Maurice Mcmurry
03-02-2023, 6:06 PM
I am enjoying having Grandpa's Barlow in my pocket since this thread reminded me that it should be there. I hope I do not loose it. Loosing my pocket knife has been a sad and recurring event. I have left behind a trail of small, slim, Case and Victorinox pocket knives. I hope some charming Brit Detectorist finds them.

Joe Mioux
03-02-2023, 6:53 PM
I have lost many nice knives... the latest is (was) a Bokar ceramic blade with a carbon fiber handle... Ceramic blades are a different animal. While I was in the process of losing that one I have become a fan of Benchmade knives. Currently I own three Bugout models. It is actually too big for my daily needs but i still like them. I have a knife in my hand minimum of 5 hours a day. So, what would i recommend? A damascus steel, with some exotic wood for the handle. I have had several damascus steel blades and i had employees sweep them in the garbage can also...

anyway... find a custom knife builder. select the steel, select the style of blade and select the wood... btw: in my experience.. for daily general use, I prefer a smaller knife that fits in the cradle of my hand. hope this helps

EDIT: i just thought of this ... besides a nice knife, you might consider a nice sharpening system, jig, stones etc.

Luke Dupont
03-02-2023, 8:42 PM
I have lost many nice knives... the latest is (was) a Bokar ceramic blade with a carbon fiber handle... Ceramic blades are a different animal. While I was in the process of losing that one I have become a fan of Benchmade knives. Currently I own three Bugout models. It is actually too big for my daily needs but i still like them. I have a knife in my hand minimum of 5 hours a day. So, what would i recommend? A damascus steel, with some exotic wood for the handle. I have had several damascus steel blades and i had employees sweep them in the garbage can also...

anyway... find a custom knife builder. select the steel, select the style of blade and select the wood... btw: in my experience.. for daily general use, I prefer a smaller knife that fits in the cradle of my hand. hope this helps

EDIT: i just thought of this ... besides a nice knife, you might consider a nice sharpening system, jig, stones etc.

Aren't ceramics darned near unsharpenable?
I guess diamonds work but still -- I'll bet you'll wear out those diamond plates pretty quickly too. And there's no getting a hair popping edge with diamonds.

I like knives that can be sharpened on any random stone. And I mean any random stone! I've touched up an edge on random stones whilst hiking, on rare occasion.

I may be mistaken though because I have no experience with ceramic knives. I always just ignored them because I value ease of sharpening over edge retention.

Matthew Hills
03-03-2023, 11:39 AM
I used to keep a miniature utility knife from stanley on my keychain. Not a traditional knife, but I liked the size and the 1-handed operation. Not as good to keep on a keychain in the age of TSA.

I also like the small swiss army knives with the scissors. I use both the blade and scissors. The blade is on the small side, but I like the minimalist nature and prefer the size/weight over the larger knives with scissors. Stainless is very practical for a general-purpose knife.

Sadly have lost the pocket knives I grew up carving hiking sticks with...

chuck van dyck
03-03-2023, 6:58 PM
I decided to pick up a carbon opinel no8 with the Italian natural stone set. Was like $28 for both. Its pretty sweet. I like the continuous bevel.

carey mitchell
03-04-2023, 8:55 PM
While I was working, I carried the smallest Swiss Army knife, as I had to wear a suit, and I never like bulky stuff in my pockets. That came from spening 4 years in a military college back in the 60s, and we wore the army khaki uniforms in moderate weather. They were starched; anyone who wanted to look sharp never put anything in the front pockets, and the starch eventually stuck the pockets to the front fabric; thus no wrinkles. 60 years later, I still put on my pants like I did those uniforms, and cannot stand wrinkled clothes.

But......when I got home, the knife got serious; something I could cut anything with and sharpen it right up. I spent some serious money over the years and lost some nice knives. after the last, I started buying moderately priced knives. Currently my favorite is a Buck #3894, 2 blades.

As I look in the desk drawer, I just counted 9 knives, and there are likely more under stuff - those are the ones that didn't pass muster. Bottom line, today at 79, I go for what pleases me and gets th ejob done.

Mike Henderson
03-04-2023, 10:05 PM
While I was working, I carried the smallest Swiss Army knife, as I had to wear a suit, and I never like bulky stuff in my pockets. That came from spening 4 years in a military college back in the 60s, and we wore the army khaki uniforms in moderate weather. They were starched; anyone who wanted to look sharp never put anything in the front pockets, and the starch eventually stuck the pockets to the front fabric; thus no wrinkles.

When I went through Army OCS, they didn't want us to put anything in our front pockets so we all had bulging butts because everything was in our back pockets. I always thought it was dumb - just for appearances.

Mike

Andrew Pitonyak
03-06-2023, 10:11 PM
Understanding that I have numerous knives from many different manufacturers, if I wanted something "classic", made in the USA with many many different options in both finish and configuration, I would look at Case.

https://caseknives.com/pages/personalize

The linked page above is related to knives that can be engraved. I assume that you are not looking for a more modern knife (fancy steel, side clip), but if you are, I am partial to their Marilla knives

https://caseknives.com/collections/modern-knives

I really like their stockman knives. The small version if you want something small and the Medium for something a bit larger. Some people like them larger, but I prefer the medium or small versions, but it is all personal preference. Note that there are two primary configurations for their stockman knives. Both have a Clip and a Sheepfort. The third blade may be a pen blade or a Spey blade.

I also really like the Seahorse Whittler (one of my favorites) if he likes to whittle.

Someone already mentioned the Buck Stockman knives, specifically the 303 Cadet (one of my favorites). There is also the 301 Stockman, a bit larger. Regardless of size, get one made in the USA. Also note that the Buck has a very good edge retention based on how they temper their blades.

https://www.buckknives.com/product/303-cadet-knife/0303FAM01/

If you want to go off the rails, they also have a custom shop, but they do not have a Stockman in their custom shop.

If you want to be blown away by the variety of Case Stockman knives, take a look at this:

https://www.casexx.com/Pattern/DisplayPattern.asp?PatternAutoID=52 (small)
https://www.casexx.com/Pattern/DisplayPattern.asp?PatternAutoID=30 (Medium)
https://www.casexx.com/Pattern/DisplayPattern.asp?PatternAutoID=27 (Large)

This provides a very fast overview of their patterns:
https://www.casexx.com/Pattern/

Let us know what you decide.

Keegan Shields
03-06-2023, 10:28 PM
That’s an $86 knife in 2023 dollars.

Jack Dover
03-07-2023, 6:37 PM
Okay, I'll bite (but just FYI "tails first or pins first" or "waterstones vs oilstones" is a better opening for a beginner. Kinda establishes you as a forum elite firmly, guaranteed).

I'm thinking something sophisticated, sleek, and useful

You only can pick two. Well, depends on your notion of "sleek", but sophistication usually comes at a price of usefulness. Also you might accidentally get it too sleek\sophisticated, and the owner just won't use it, because it's too pretty. Just go to any knife forum where they boast sophisticated knives and count how many of them are still factory ground after being owned for years.

for the small tasks he often uses his knives for (opening packages, odd/small tasks, general day-to-day usage).

From practical point of view such a knife should be almost invisible to a user: easy to reach for, easy to open, easy to perform a task, easy to put away and easy to maintain. People that have it like this often perform a task in a blink of an eye, so others might not even notice there was a knife. But some people use it as an opportunity to show off, such a knife should be flashy and in general bring others attention to its existence. For a case like this a knife that is carried in a dedicated suitcase and that requires a box of branded tools is usually best. Bonus points if it cuts only in a stream of noble gas, people like a good show.

So for what it's worth here's my list.

1. Any Victorinox model that doesn't trigger aichmophobia in a 2 mile radius. Their smallest gent's knife with a nail file and small scissors (Classic SD) is good for office-like environment. If some food preparation is assumed (making a sandwich, cutting a bagel, etc) a longer blade is better, but but don't go bigger than Pickniker - Recruit, Cadet, etc. Also if there's a choice of blades in a particular model, pick the least number of blades, because thicker handles are hard to grasp firmly. But if you're into it there are models that require a license to operate and 4 yrs of prior experience.

2. To show how sophisticated someone is an Opinel is best, an owner assumes a soft French accent pretty much immediately. They can be had with custom handles, including exotic species or composite handles, custom engraved blade or some effects like hammered finish. They're carbon steel and a blade has triangular section, so they can be wickedly (and given their looks - deceivingly) sharp. Opinel pairs well with a beret and a pack of Gitanes (or they might think you're Canadian).

3. For outdoor activities the simpler the better, one substantial blade in simple steel, like Buck or a similar. They can take quite a bit, like, they won't mind batoning or cutting a tin open. Simple steels are preferred because they can be resharpened in a field. I prefer models that can be opened with one hand, have a hole for a piece of paracord\rope, an a lock.

After that we're in a speciality area and most probably talking fixed knives. People that require such knives know exactly what they need, you just need to ask them carefully w\o giving a surprise out.

Cameron Wood
03-08-2023, 12:21 AM
I'm dealing with an estate, & have acquired a bunch of knives- NOS.

Victorinox, Kershaw, Puma, Spiderco, more. Sheath, folder, pocket.

If you're looking for something- send a PM. Bargain prices.

Jay

Jim Ritter
03-08-2023, 1:24 PM
Im looking for one of these if there is one in the mix. Thanks Cameron.

Anuj Prateek
03-08-2023, 2:52 PM
Recently bought a Mora Eldris and like it. If longer blade is desired then Mora Companion is also good. Both of these are low priced but good quality.

Cameron Wood
03-08-2023, 3:13 PM
Im looking for one of these if there is one in the mix. Thanks Cameron.

No, not quite.

Here's the selection:

Jim Ritter
03-08-2023, 3:40 PM
Thanks, it never hurts to ask.
Jim

Jim Koepke
03-08-2023, 7:48 PM
No, not quite.

Here's the selection:

Those Swiss Army Knives are calling to me. Likely there are already too many lying about for me to jump on anymore.

Though the smallest one looks like one I haven't seen before.

jtk

Cameron Wood
03-08-2023, 9:28 PM
Those Swiss Army Knives are calling to me. Likely there are already too many lying about for me to jump on anymore.

Though the smallest one looks like one I haven't seen before.

jtk

Swiss Champ (my preferred)
Craftsman
Climber (carried for years in my youth)
Mountaineer
Swiss Army
Golfer blade, bottle opener, scissors, corkscrew, no key ring
Ambassador (classic but bigger 3" no key ring)
Bijou (classic w/ no key ring)

Some of these aren't in the current line up- slight differences.

Cheers, Jay

tom lucas
03-08-2023, 10:03 PM
I'm one that doesn't want to carry a heavy, bulky knife. I carry an old boker tree 3.5", 3-blade that is the goldilock size for me. Don't know the model. Got it from my Dad's collection when he passed. Similar to a Case stockman, which I have a couple of in case I ever lose my Boker. If I were looking for a gift knife for an "old school" man it'd have to be this size, with a beautiful handle. I'm sure there a many quality options that fit this requirement.

David Carroll
03-09-2023, 7:59 AM
Another vote for SAK. I've carried the same model (it looks like Victornox Model 1, but that one has only a single blade, the one(s) I've had have also a flat head screwdriver, bottle/can opener, scissors and an awl). At one time, both Victornox and Wenger made them. I had heard that this particular model was actually what was issued to the Swiss Army, but who knows? They have aluminum scales that are knurled or checkered. Very handy if a bit on the larger size. I've owned 5 in the past 40 years. I've lost 4. The last one I lost was right after 9/11 when I forgot it was in my briefcase and went through airport security...

These models are pretty indestructible and take a great edge.

DC

Rich Markiewicz
03-09-2023, 4:00 PM
Spyderco is my EDC last 20 yrs or so. yeah, old guys are tough to buy for, lol. good luck......

Edward Weber
03-09-2023, 4:14 PM
I think the OP already made up his mind but I thought I'd add that the SAK Damascus are really attractive.

https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Victorinox-Damast-Collection/cms/damast-collection

Keith Pitman
03-09-2023, 7:57 PM
I usually carry a CRKT knife. The are well made and have a range of sizes.

I occasionally carry this German made knife my wife gave me several years ago. I think it came from Garrett-Wade.

David Dalzell
03-18-2023, 6:21 PM
I carry a Benchmade Mini Barrage always. It has a single 2.9" drop point blade. It stays sharp and is for general purpose use. I love it.

Mac McQuinn
03-21-2023, 7:25 AM
Opinel #6 on belt & Victorinox Tinker in overnight kit.

chuck van dyck
03-21-2023, 9:10 AM
I will hop in here and say the Opinel garlic knife is kinda the perfect woodworker’s knife.

chris carter
03-21-2023, 11:47 AM
I’ve got a lot of pocket knives and I always have one in my pocket. Here's a small sampling of some of my more commonly carried knives. The ebony jack top left, black composite jack top right, and the jigged bone canoe middle left probably spend the most time in my pocket.

Mike Null
03-23-2023, 7:34 AM
I've carried a pocket knife for nearly 80 years. Some of you may remember when kids boots came with a pocketknife. Anyway, for the last 40 years or so I've carried a SAK. For me it is a tool that I use every day. I have it tethered to a lanyard on my belt so I don't misplace it. I have 3 sizes plus an old Case "boyscout" knife which I never liked.

Cameron Wood
03-23-2023, 1:44 PM
I just gave a SAK to grandson for his 15th b-day- the same kind that I carried starting about that age.

His father is a worry-wart who still worries that his kids will amputate something with scissors.

Noel Greeff
03-24-2023, 10:52 AM
Hi Bob ,I don't know if this is current but one of the best make of knives is the American Buck knife.
They have a great variety and all knives carry a life time warranty.
Noel

Mike Null
03-24-2023, 11:48 AM
last year I gave my 3 year old great grandson a SAK like mine. There are too many people who have the idea that pocket knives aren't good for kids. I just wanted to be sure that the boy had one.

Jim Koepke
03-24-2023, 12:21 PM
last year I gave my 3 year old great grandson a SAK like mine. There are too many people who have the idea that pocket knives aren't good for kids. I just wanted to be sure that the boy had one.

I usually waited till the were 6 or 7 and made sure their parents approved. As far as I know all my grandkids still have the SAKs I gave them.

jtk

David Carroll
03-24-2023, 2:11 PM
I gave each of my sons a pocket knife and a small Arkansas stone on their 7th birthday. Actually, we all would go to the hardware store and they could pick out any knife that they chose within reason). All three chose SAKs and they all wanted the biggest, fanciest one with the most tools on it. I warned them that it's impractical to carry a knife that large, but they wanted them, so I got them. All these years later, they all have them still. My oldest keeps it with him, though doesn't carry in his pocket (he has a smaller one for that). My youngest won a nice knife from the Boy Scouts for selling the most popcorn. It's a good bit smaller than the one I got him so he carries that when not in school. My middlest boy still has his, but doesn't have much need for one as a Lawyer. His wit is plenty sharp!

I always enjoyed the rite of passage! It's a tradition that the two married boys intend to carry on with their kids.

DC

Jim Koepke
03-24-2023, 3:42 PM
I always enjoyed the rite of passage! It's a tradition that the two married boys intend to carry on with their kids.

Yes, I also enjoy the rites of passage of the first pocket knife. It was a thrill for me when my dad gave me my first pocket knife. It has always been a joy to give a pocket knife to my grandkids.

Another rite of passage was a couple years after my son was born the wines with a vintage of his birth year were released for sale. I bought a few bottles with good aging properties and put them in storage for when he turned 21. That was such a big hit for him and his friends when he turned 21 that I did the same for some of my grandchildren. One of them turned 21 last month. He and his sister were visiting the week before his birthday. With his parents permission he, his sister and I shared a bottle of 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon, grandma stopped drinking years ago.

jtk

David Carroll
03-24-2023, 8:36 PM
What a great idea! My Grandkids are 4, 3, and Coming in April. I'll get on it!

DC

Cameron Wood
03-25-2023, 4:56 PM

Wow. Will he get a shotgun when he's six?

bill godber
03-25-2023, 9:40 PM
Wow. Will he get a shotgun when he's six?
A discussion about pocket knives used to further your anti gun opinion, sad.

Cameron Wood
03-26-2023, 12:26 AM
A discussion about pocket knives used to further your anti gun opinion, sad.

Not much in to guns personally, although I do in fact own one, but I think three is is not a good age to give a kid a pocket knife.

I think in hunting families a kid might traditionally get a gun age ten or so.

Would you give a three year old a pocket knife?

David Carroll
03-26-2023, 8:22 AM
Three is too young in my opinion. I gave my boys pocket knives and some sharpening gear for their seventh birthday. I figured that seven was the "age of reason" and that with a lot of my supervision, it would be okay. It mostly was. In retrospect, Seven is also too young, but I was eager to get them going with tools and possessions that needed some care after years of brightly colored plastic throwaway toys.

I envisioned them happily whittling on a stick while I was working in the shop. It did happen, but not like I imagined. Of course they weren't really allowed to carry them. Certainly not at school, and not at public events aside from Boy Scout stuff, but later in life and now as adults they both have them still and carry a smaller pocket knife with them. The youngest carries one for Boy Scouts and that's about it.

I think 10 is probably the right age. However, both of my older boys who themselves now have children have told me that they loved the tradition and want to go with me to the same hardware store and pick one out for their children when they turn seven.

DC

Rich Engelhardt
03-26-2023, 11:04 AM
I gave my kids a knife at 3 or 4. I had one at that age myself. We all got cut at one time or another.
A splash of Mercurochrome and a Band-Aid & we were good to go.

Those big garish orange stains from Mercurochrome were a badge of honor when I was a kid.

When I was 8 & a cub scout, getting your scout knife was a huge deal (actually, anything scout related was a big deal). On the days we had a den meeting, we got to wear our scout uniforms to school. Every time we got a new badge, we got to go up and stand in the front of the class and show it off.
The real big one was getting a scout knife - we not only got to wear & up in front of the class, we got to open all the blades and show it off.

Speaking of which (knives in the classroom), when I was in 2nd and 3rd grade, we started playing a game at recess with knives called stretch. Two kids faced each other with the feet together and flipped a knife into the ground be the other person. The other person had to place there foot where the knife struck, then reach down and pick up the knife - keeping their foot where it was. It was then their turn to flip the knife. That would go on until either someone lost their balance and fell down or couldn't stretch their feet far enough.
The knives we tossed ran all the way up to fixed blades in sheaths worn on the hip.

I can't even begin to imagine what that would cause today. A few hundred kids tossing knives in a field.
They'd probably call in SWAT or the National Guard.

Cameron Wood
03-26-2023, 2:46 PM
"Stretch"- I had forgotten about that. Even then, parents would have flipped at of a bunch of stuff we did, if they had known about it.

Tom M King
03-27-2023, 11:50 AM
When I was in Elementary School most boys carried a small pocket knife, including me. I carved neckerchief slides with it when I was about 8 in Cub Scouts. I quit carrying it when I was an adult after I bought the Arkansas oil stones. I had carried two people to a hospital to get stitches even after warning them that it was sharp, and I didn't want to not lend one to anyone that asked, so quit carrying it. They had never seen anything that sharp, and one ER Doc commented that it made as clean a cut as any scalpel. That knife was old enough to have the brand name worn off when it was given to me, but Solingen was stamped in the base of a blade.

As far as youth guns, I was given a Savage .410 single shot Youth Gun when I was 9. I was given an old 12 ga. to carry unloaded through a couple of hunting seasons before I was ever allowed to carry a loaded one. I had to learn to carry one safely first. I still have and use that gun. I was allowed to go hunting by myself as soon as I got that gun in the woods behind our house. More than a few nights we ate rabbits I brought home. I shot a Copperhead's head off with it last Summer. I quit hunting when I was 12, deciding to never kill anything again that didn't need killing.

Jim Koepke
03-27-2023, 1:50 PM
I had carried two people to a hospital to get stitches even after warning them that it was sharp, and I didn't want to not lend one to anyone that asked, so quit carrying it.

This reminded me of a bunch of large neodymium magnets a friend had given me. Everyone who was shown them were impressed. A couple people succeeded in begging a pair from me for various reasons of need. Within the first two minutes they had produced blood by getting the skin of the fingers pinched between them.

No more giveaways after that.

There were two magnets mounted side by on a mounting bracket. They were not difficult to dismount. One half is stuck on my drill press to hold the chuck key.

jtk

Tom M King
03-27-2023, 1:57 PM
One doesn't have to be a dummy to do that. I have a Nobel Prize winning Physicist friend who got his finger between a couple of those, producing a pretty large blood blister.