PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Woodworking--Critiques Welcome

Scott Banbury
01-28-2006, 1:51 PM
Almost 4 years ago I bought my own sawmill, primarily to have ready access to unusual (commercially unavailable) wood. In particular, I've always been enthralled by the natural edge furniture of George Nakashima.

Well, after several years of careful sawing and air drying, the wood is starting to make it's way through the shop. Here are a few of my first attempts.

This natural-edge "coffee table" is taller than typical in the interest of being able to comfortable eat/work while sitting on the sofa in front of the wood stove. The design was an attempt to incorporate natural edges in as many ways as possible . . .

http://www.scottbanbury.com/natedgetable03big.jpg
http://www.scottbanbury.com/natedgetable07.jpg

http://www.scottbanbury.com/natedgetable10.jpg

This is a natural-edged experiment in shelving . . .

http://www.scottbanbury.com/natedgeshelf03.jpg

and this is a recent commission for a local pasta shop. The design is the architect's and the Cherry for the "vanity" base was his (it was a pleasure to find the disease-induced "pith flecking" under the rough). The client also supplied the slab for the top ($18/bdft :eek: ) only to have it discovered that it was in fact a slab I had cut for another woodworker a few years ago for 40 cents/bdft. (I think I need to raise my prices). The log base was aspalting chunk of Chinese Chestnut that we had laying around the yard . . .

http://www.scottbanbury.com/pastacounte03.jpg

http://www.scottbanbury.com/pastacounte04.jpg

http://www.scottbanbury.com/pastacounte06.jpg

Seriously, this is all experiment in design so all critique is most appreciated :)

Dan Rider
01-28-2006, 3:21 PM
I particularly like the coffee table. The bookmatching of the top looks great with the heartwood/sapwood contrast. In a rustic setting, your designs fit right in.

I know how satisfying it is (on a smaller scale!) to take a living tree and create a finished project from it.

Dan Oliphant
01-28-2006, 3:27 PM
Scott, the designs and use of the materials is very interesting, although this style is not my cup-o-tea, it is very obvious that you but much thought in material layup and execution.
Good job.

Matt Warfield
01-28-2006, 3:54 PM
I would agree with Dan. You need the right setting to really set those pieces off. Alone, they look fantastic. I'm not so sure the blue wall behind the coffee table or the tile floor underneath the desk does them justice. True, this is picky and not very relevent unless you're looking to market the pieces.

Thanks for sharing!!

Corey Hallagan
01-28-2006, 3:56 PM
Very nice! I love the table and the wall shelf!

corey

Frank Chaffee
01-28-2006, 4:11 PM
Scott,
I very much admire your use of young wood and natural edges on the pieces you have shown. The book matching with symmetrical bumps on the coffee table top lets us see that the wood comes from a tree, a fact that is often lost in modern furniture design, but that is well highlighted here.

This is equally well demonstrated in the shelf and counter constructions.

As a child I was very interested in Japanese architecture, and when I discovered George Nakashima, my creative sensibilities were taxed to the max. Frankly I ran hard in another direction, to metalworking at a simple level which I found to be much more predictable and controllable than wood. I have always held people like you who take up the artistic challenge of displaying the natural state of wood in utilitarian objects, in high esteem.

Does that butterfly check a split on the coffee table top? Looks good.

On the coffee table, the three vertical members feel either too close together or possibly the center member is too wide. That the three members on each side are a cross reflection of one another however, lends a very pleasing balance to the base, however.

With so many natural edges on the coffee table, the square cut base pieces look blocky and awkward to me. Either a 15° cut back towards the table center originating ~ 1 ¼” down from the top, or a 15° cut from level leaving 2 ½” plumb on the ends might be more graceful. Just some thoughts.

So Scott, if I ever have the courage to undertake work like this, I hope you will be frank with me in your critique of my attempts.

Great work and thanks for sharing.

Frank

Andy London
01-28-2006, 4:12 PM
I personally love it! I can tell you locally there is a very big demand for it, I have a buddy in new Brunswick building full time and making some pretty big coin.

Jim Becker
01-28-2006, 5:31 PM
Scott, that's really nice work! The satisfaction from producing your own rought stock and taking it through to the final item is a really good thing, too.

I'm also a fan of Nakashima...and it doesn't hurt to be only about 5 miles from the Nakashima compound! Some of his wonderful work is also in the Michener (art) Museum a few miles in the other direction.

David Wilson
01-28-2006, 5:38 PM
Scott
Outstanding work.

Pete Harbin
01-28-2006, 6:15 PM
Scott,

I really like the table and wall shelf. The designs really alow the wood to speak for itself. Nicely done!

Pete

Kelly C. Hanna
01-28-2006, 7:28 PM
I love rustic style furniture and the natural edge look is very cool. You have done a great job!!

Richard Wolf
01-28-2006, 7:44 PM
I like your work. Emulating George Nakashima could never be a bad thing. I also like to use knots, sap wood and off color grain to add interest and contrast to some pieces. My only critique would be to lose the sap wood strip running down the middle of the coffee table. I like the sap wood on the edges but the middle looks like a racing stripe that is distracting.

Richard

Greg Hairston
01-28-2006, 7:51 PM
Folks,
I have seen the coffee table up close and personal and it is beautiful. The photos do not do it justice. Scott is a very good craftsman and can hang with the best of them here in Memphis. Now Scott get off your butt and move that truck out of the way and get my 8/4 Cherry out so I can show off some of my stuff.

Greg:)

Peter M. Spirito
01-28-2006, 8:13 PM
awesome table and shelf. I love the natural edge. the coffee table is so beautiful. thanks for sharing your work with us.;)

Norman Hitt
01-28-2006, 8:19 PM
Scott, I have also been a BIG Fan of George Nakashima's work, since I first saw a High End Model home in Maryland that was completely furnished with his pieces, in 1964.

I really like your Designs and the execution is great on all three, but I'm not really fond of the Architects "Mixture" in his counter design.

On the table, it looks great as is, but "Might" look even better without the sapwood in the middle, and I do think the top rail under the left end of the front view, could be shortened a little, as it does appear too close to the edge of the top due to the width created there by the natural edge. I wouldn't change a thing on the rest of it. I don't see any way you could improve the wall shelf unit, it looks great.

Keep 'em coming.

Jim Becker
01-28-2006, 8:22 PM
On the table, it looks great as is, but "Might" look even better without the sapwood in the middle
Actually, this is one of the things he did that I think sets this piece apart and makes it unique. It was the first thing that made me smile when I saw the picture! It's something that I may copy... ;)

Scott Banbury
01-29-2006, 11:51 AM
I particularly like the coffee table. The bookmatching of the top looks great with the heartwood/sapwood contrast. In a rustic setting, your designs fit right in.

I know how satisfying it is (on a smaller scale!) to take a living tree and create a finished project from it.

Thanks, Dan. Having come at this "fullcycle" woodworking from a background in cabinetry and factory benchwork and the color matching and toning that it involves, the sap/heart contrast has been one of the most intriguing aspects of sawing my own wood.

Of course, it also feels great to "know" a piece of wood since it was in the log and realize its potential in the finished piece. Heck, it's the fullfillment of a dream borne from a Woodmizer ad I saw in the back of a Popular Mechanics magazine when I was 14 years old :)

Scott Banbury
01-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Scott, the designs and use of the materials is very interesting, although this style is not my cup-o-tea, it is very obvious that you but much thought in material layup and execution.
Good job.

Thank you for the kind words, Dan. If it was everyone's cup-o-tea, I wouldn't have a niche, would I? ;)

Scott Banbury
01-29-2006, 11:56 AM
I would agree with Dan. You need the right setting to really set those pieces off. Alone, they look fantastic. I'm not so sure the blue wall behind the coffee table or the tile floor underneath the desk does them justice. True, this is picky and not very relevent unless you're looking to market the pieces.

Thanks for sharing!!

Matt, the blue wall is my wife's doing and the camera didn't really do it justice--it's really very soothing ;) I wasn't very happy about the floor either when I installed the counter--it would look much better on a wood floor or maybe slate. Thanks for the input.

Scott Banbury
01-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Very nice! I love the table and the wall shelf!

corey

Thanks, Corey! :D

Scott Banbury
01-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Scott,
I very much admire your use of young wood and natural edges on the pieces you have shown. The book matching with symmetrical bumps on the coffee table top lets us see that the wood comes from a tree, a fact that is often lost in modern furniture design, but that is well highlighted here.

This is equally well demonstrated in the shelf and counter constructions.

As a child I was very interested in Japanese architecture, and when I discovered George Nakashima, my creative sensibilities were taxed to the max. Frankly I ran hard in another direction, to metalworking at a simple level which I found to be much more predictable and controllable than wood. I have always held people like you who take up the artistic challenge of displaying the natural state of wood in utilitarian objects, in high esteem.

Does that butterfly check a split on the coffee table top? Looks good.

On the coffee table, the three vertical members feel either too close together or possibly the center member is too wide. That the three members on each side are a cross reflection of one another however, lends a very pleasing balance to the base, however.

With so many natural edges on the coffee table, the square cut base pieces look blocky and awkward to me. Either a 15° cut back towards the table center originating ~ 1 ¼” down from the top, or a 15° cut from level leaving 2 ½” plumb on the ends might be more graceful. Just some thoughts.

So Scott, if I ever have the courage to undertake work like this, I hope you will be frank with me in your critique of my attempts.

Great work and thanks for sharing.

Frank

Thanks for the thoughtful critique, Frank. I have a metal worker renting a little space in my shop and we've begun to collaborate on some projects--the two go great together ;) .

The butterfly does indeed hold a check. I knocked off the table in a whirlwind 2 days before one of our local art fairs and didn't have finish on it yet before setting it in the sun all day :o I actually saw and heard the check develop :(

I feel the same about the spacing of the vertical members and have worked it out a little differently on subsequent pieces. I also agree on the boxiness of the base rails--what I keep my eyes open for now is logs that have enough sweep to them that I can get a base rail that tapers appropriately along its natural edge. I've also worked up a couple with straight edge surfaces along the lines of your suggestions--one in the works to be posted tonight.

Thanks again, Frank!

Scott Banbury
01-29-2006, 12:09 PM
I personally love it! I can tell you locally there is a very big demand for it, I have a buddy in new Brunswick building full time and making some pretty big coin.

Dang, Andy, I wish I had a "big coin" market down here :( Thanks!

Scott Banbury
01-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Scott, that's really nice work! The satisfaction from producing your own rought stock and taking it through to the final item is a really good thing, too.

I'm also a fan of Nakashima...and it doesn't hurt to be only about 5 miles from the Nakashima compound! Some of his wonderful work is also in the Michener (art) Museum a few miles in the other direction.

Thanks, Jim. My wife and I are planning to take a trip up there to Nakashima's place sometime soon--we'll be sure to look you up when we do :)

Scott Banbury
01-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Scott
Outstanding work.

Thanks, David!

Scott Banbury
01-29-2006, 12:13 PM
I like your work. Emulating George Nakashima could never be a bad thing. I also like to use knots, sap wood and off color grain to add interest and contrast to some pieces. My only critique would be to lose the sap wood strip running down the middle of the coffee table. I like the sap wood on the edges but the middle looks like a racing stripe that is distracting.

Richard

Thanks, Richard. I have largely given up on the sap in the middle look. Though I still kinda like the look, the less predictable shrinkage is somewhat problematic.

Scott Banbury
01-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Folks,
I have seen the coffee table up close and personal and it is beautiful. The photos do not do it justice. Scott is a very good craftsman and can hang with the best of them here in Memphis. Now Scott get off your butt and move that truck out of the way and get my 8/4 Cherry out so I can show off some of my stuff.

Greg:)

Greg, the truck got back together last night and we're ready for you whenever--you got that Cherry slab straightened out yet? :D

Scott Banbury
01-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Scott, I have also been a BIG Fan of George Nakashima's work, since I first saw a High End Model home in Maryland that was completely furnished with his pieces, in 1964.

I really like your Designs and the execution is great on all three, but I'm not really fond of the Architects "Mixture" in his counter design.

On the table, it looks great as is, but "Might" look even better without the sapwood in the middle, and I do think the top rail under the left end of the front view, could be shortened a little, as it does appear too close to the edge of the top due to the width created there by the natural edge. I wouldn't change a thing on the rest of it. I don't see any way you could improve the wall shelf unit, it looks great.

Keep 'em coming.

Thnaks, Norman! More on the way . . .

Jim Becker
01-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks, Jim. My wife and I are planning to take a trip up there to Nakashima's place sometime soon--we'll be sure to look you up when we do

Let me know when you'll be around and we can make it an "official Creeker visit" or something! The Nakashima compound is open to the public on Saturday afternoons between about 1 and 4 pm ET. Both the main showroom/office (small) and the Conoid gallery are included in that. You may be able to arrange for a more detailed tour if you contact them in advance, however. They do this occasionally as a fund-raiser for the Michener Museum and it's an eye opener! (There are several other galleries on the site as well as GN's home, the wood barn (oh, my...) and the workshops.

Rob Will
01-29-2006, 2:19 PM

You guys caused me to learn something.......
http://www.r20thcentury.com/bios/designer.cfm?article_id=74

http://www.inliquid.com/thought/review/hagen/hagenmichener.shtml

I like the style:) . How on Earth does one prevent the wood from splitting?

Rob

Mark Singer
01-29-2006, 3:16 PM
Using a narural edge requires restraint...too much and it can look over done...I think it needs to compliment the piece and not become the design theme ....some of the natural flaws of wood tell the story of the tree....Nakashima was a Master of engaging such elements....it is the justapostion of the natural to the man made....the butterfly inserted by man to the tear in the tree....as with any good story teller it takes time to master such an art....to capture the eyes and ears of those willing to listen....sublety is ever present in his work...the trip with Jim is worthwile....the language, the fluency of Nakashima is well worth hearing. For now you have started a meaningful venture into his approach and a very good first step..

Martin Shupe
01-30-2006, 2:58 AM
Scott,

Nice post! I like them all, but I think my favorite is the shelf, mainly because I have not seen one done in that style before and it really appeals to me.

For the rest of you Creeker's, if you ever get to Memphis, look Scott up. He has lots of nice wood for sale at reasonable prices. I got some really nice eastern red cedar and cherry from him a while back, and was very pleased. He also had some quartersawn white oak that was nothing short of fantastic...come on Scott, show us a pic of some of that QSWO, please?

Vaughn McMillan
01-30-2006, 3:19 AM
I really like the table, Scott. Personally, I like the excess width of the vertical members. At some angles, they look like solid pieces, then turn a bit and the light sneaks through. I'm also fond of the contrast between the sapwood and the rest, but I do sympathize about the stability when working with oddball grains. Overall, nice work and I look forward to seeing other examples of your work.

- Vaughn