PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Workbench End Vise Jaw Thickness

Randy Heinemann
02-24-2023, 7:25 PM
I am upgrading the end vise on my workbench with some quick release vise hardware. Since I'm supplying the wood jaws, I can make them any thickness I want. I have some 8/4 maple which has been planed to about 1 13/16". I assume that should be a sufficient thickness for both the the front and reat jaws.

Is there any reason to use a thinner jaw for the rear jaw (against the bench)?

The vise jaws will extend the full width of the bench end; about 30".

John Kananis
02-25-2023, 9:56 AM
That thickness is just fine for maple. No reason to go thinner unless the screws on your vise are short causing the jaws not to extend far enough for what you do.

Bill Dufour
02-25-2023, 11:17 AM
I assume this is a metal jaw vise to take all the load. So the wood is only in compression?
Bill D

Randy Heinemann
02-25-2023, 9:53 PM
No, not a metal jaw vise. The hardware is a front plate to which the wooden jaws are attached. The back jaw is secured to the bench itself. I currently have similar vise on my bench, but I never installed a rear jaw and only used the benchtop edge as the "jaw". Plus, the front plate on the new vise is wider and the overall vise hardware is heavier duty. I think the additon of the rear jaw will also give me better, more even clamping. I intend to install some thin "cork" (a composite of cork and rubber) on each face which should also improve holding power and make it less likely the wood jaws will leave marks on softer wood.