PDA

View Full Version : Praise for a Bahco scraper

Jason Buresh
02-22-2023, 8:58 PM
My wife and I are expecting our first child, so that means a renovation of our spare bedroom is a priority. At one point someone glued carpet over the original hardwood flooring, that must have been ripped up and a loose lay vinyl was put over that, and now I am in the process of bringing back the hardwoods. Unfortunately that means scraping up the old adhesive and other junk from the long gone carpet. I ordered this Bahco scraper a while ago to scrape paint off my stairs and it worked wonderful, and it is pulling it's weight in this project as well.

I have a vintage Stanley scraper from the 40's, and while it does work, I would be lying if I said this wasn't a better tool. It's more efficient and lighter, probably thanks to the carbide blade and plastic handles.

Anyway, if you need to scrape a lot of paint or other things. It may not be the cheapest scraper, but it is a good scraper.

Jim Koepke
02-23-2023, 12:22 AM
That looks like one of them jobs that I would have to be about 45 years younger to do.

jtk

Tom M King
02-23-2023, 8:33 AM
This one is worth having too. Sometimes a narrow one is better because you can get more pressure on the edge. This is the one most pro floor finishers use for corners and close spaces they can't get into with a sander. It's easily kept sharp with a 6" or 8" smooth mill file. The length lets you use one hand to pull and the other for pressure.

https://www.floorsupplies.net/products/1-x-11-wooden-handle-floor-scraper-with-red-devil-blade?variant=32044992331908&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-04-02&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQiAutyfBhCMARIsAMgcRJTJjFpocueb5pqMlOms xo9XfIuy2kWKFwID9dQqXVvJjEpFsp4we2YaAgLCEALw_wcB

Edward Weber
02-23-2023, 10:47 AM
Bahco makes good tools IMO
They used to be owned by Sandvik then they were sold to Snap-on.
I have a few Bahco saws and scrapers, all work well.

Stephen Rosenthal
02-23-2023, 12:07 PM
That looks like one of them jobs that I would have to be about 45 years younger to do.

jtk

That looks like one of them jobs that I would rent a floor sander to do.

mike stenson
02-23-2023, 12:29 PM
Well, that eats up abrasives. I just used this same scraper to scrape glue off a bench top laminate, so I didn't have to continually sharpen the iron for my jack. It was worth it IMO. It's a well made scraper, and made short work of that.

Stephen Rosenthal
02-23-2023, 1:28 PM
Well, that eats up abrasives.

I get that. A bench top is one thing, but I’m too old to get down on my knees and hand scrape a floor.

Edward Weber
02-23-2023, 1:34 PM
I get that. A bench top is one thing, but I’m too old to get down on my knees and hand scrape a floor.

I had to prep a few 45' semi trailer floors when I was much younger, it didn't take long before the floor sander was rented. Just scraping the edges was more than enough, regardless of your age.

Jason Buresh
02-23-2023, 1:36 PM

Well I'm only 30, so I got that going for me.

I have been told by my dad that floor sanders are faster and easier, but they also have the potential of damaging the floor if you don't know what you are doing, which I do not, so I opted for the route of slower but safer.

Stephen Rosenthal
02-23-2023, 1:41 PM
I’m 10 years older than McCartney’s ode to aging, thus my comments. Good luck with your project and the addition to your family.

Stephen Rosenthal
02-23-2023, 3:23 PM
Bahco makes good tools IMO
They used to be owned by Sandvik then they were sold to Snap-on.
I have a few Bahco saws and scrapers, all work well.

They do make good tools. I’ve got a few of their saw files. I thought they were bought by Tome Feteira, a Portuguese company (also excellent files) but maybe I’m wrong.

Edward Weber
02-23-2023, 3:40 PM
They have changed hands several times that I know of. Each time by a company known for quality. I think that says something.
There is a pretty good history written at Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahco

Derek Cohen
02-23-2023, 6:47 PM
My wife and I are expecting our first child, so that means a renovation of our spare bedroom is a priority. At one point someone glued carpet over the original hardwood flooring, that must have been ripped up and a loose lay vinyl was put over that, and now I am in the process of bringing back the hardwoods. Unfortunately that means scraping up the old adhesive and other junk from the long gone carpet. I ordered this Bahco scraper a while ago to scrape paint off my stairs and it worked wonderful, and it is pulling it's weight in this project as well.

I have a vintage Stanley scraper from the 40's, and while it does work, I would be lying if I said this wasn't a better tool. It's more efficient and lighter, probably thanks to the carbide blade and plastic handles.

Anyway, if you need to scrape a lot of paint or other things. It may not be the cheapest scraper, but it is a good scraper.

I have used one of these for quite a number of years. It is the only scraper of its kind I bother with. Not only useful for WRC external wall coverings, doors and windows, but also dried glue. The carbide blade outlasts all others.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jason Buresh
02-26-2023, 8:28 PM
Figured I would post an update. Even after scraping my stairs and the entire floor, the carbide blade is still sharp. I broke out the non neander orbital sander and started working on sanding the floors too. It's getting there at least.

Tom M King
02-27-2023, 9:47 AM
Looking good!

Tom M King
02-27-2023, 9:50 AM
I've used the corners of one of those carbide scrapers for digging out cracks in very old plaster for repairs. I bought a replacement blade for it whenever it was that I bought that scraper, but the original blade is still useable after some miles of cracks, and has never been changed.

Jim Koepke
02-27-2023, 10:38 AM
Makes me tired just looking at it.

Great job.

jtk

Tom Bender
03-04-2023, 1:59 PM
Big congratulations on the impending event.