PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen Availability

Rob Luter
02-22-2023, 2:04 PM
Good news! I got a note from the Lie-Nielsen mothership that Iron #3 Bench Planes are now available. Order placed. They may not last real long.

Thomas Crawford
02-22-2023, 2:45 PM
Got one, thanks. Threw in a split nut screwdriver.

Christopher Herzog
02-22-2023, 5:07 PM
Could not buy at 2pm central time. Neither bronze or iron. I am sad, wife is not....

Chris

Rob Luter
02-22-2023, 7:44 PM
Yup. Gone almost immediately. I’m glad I looked at my phone. Thankfully I already got a shipping confirmation. Wife forgave me. She’s a good woman.

Patrick Baney
02-22-2023, 8:02 PM
I snagged one on Monday. Far as I know, the first ones went up Friday at 4pm est. I think a handful have been in stock every business day around 2 since then. Kind of like the iron skew block, small amount each day. Probably to not overwhelm the shipping department. Question is, why the heck haven’t I gotten an email for any of these? Only snagged the 3 on Monday out of pure neuroticism and paranoia.

Charles Guest
02-23-2023, 9:46 AM
Death by more orders than you can fill.

It wouldn't be the first time it happened.

Nathan Johnson
02-23-2023, 10:19 AM
They've had a lot of items popping up in stock lately. They all sell out immediately, but seems like a good sign. I'm sure there's a lot of pent up demand, so it'll be a bit yet before they can actually bank inventory.

Charles Guest
02-23-2023, 10:36 AM
When you're drowning in orders, you're praying at the same time about cancellations. You need SOME to cancel, just not too many. It's a weird place to be. It's like starting a new business with some whiz-bang product or service and being immediately inundated. You almost need a bigger firm to come in and buy you out, or partner with you, to provide the resources you need to build product and get the logjam to release. I did make an inquiry about a mortise chisel over a year ago. I was told they would probably be shipping by July -- last July. That's not good.

Keegan Shields
02-23-2023, 11:28 AM
I received an in-stock alert today on the #3. Looks like they are working down their email list. based on how many they release each day.

Matthew Eason
02-23-2023, 12:26 PM
I reached out to them earlier. They're producing about 20 a day each day this week. They post them in batches as they're assembled. It is currently still available as of this posting. I was able to secure mine.

Stephen Rosenthal
02-23-2023, 1:35 PM
Great to hear that they’re ramping up production again. I’ve been waiting for some items for what seems like forever. Kudos to Lie-Nielsen to be able to weather almost two years of very limited product availability and remain in business. As a relatively small company that is an amazing testament to their business model and loyal customer base, among whom I’m included.

John Keeton
02-24-2023, 10:09 AM
The No. 3 is available as of 10am.

Rob Luter
02-26-2023, 9:44 AM
My new #3 arrived yesterday afternoon. After a quick cleaning of everything and honing the blade it was making nice fine shavings. I really like a small smoother for smaller scale and more focused work.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52712874653_4d38a70f2b_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52711875927_40977cda9b_c.jpg

Jim Koepke
02-26-2023, 7:23 PM
Nice Rob, my #3s are often preferred over my larger smoothers.

jtk

Rob Luter
02-26-2023, 8:22 PM
My only gripe is that I have rather large hands and the area at the front of the tote is pretty cramped. I can only get my pinky and ring finger in there comfortably. It's a personal problem :rolleyes:

Jim Koepke
02-27-2023, 1:16 AM
My only gripe is that I have rather large hands and the area at the front of the tote is pretty cramped. I can only get my pinky and ring finger in there comfortably. It's a personal problem :rolleyes:

My tendency with the smaller toted planes is to put my fingers & thumb straight out around the tote and poised on the back of the frog. If one or two fingers can curl around the tote, that's good enough.

jtk