PDA

View Full Version : Delta Tilting Arbor Saw (36-755) Query

Brandon Antoniewicz
02-21-2023, 5:24 PM
All,

I've come across a Delta Tilting Arbor Saw (36-755) nearby for $350.
https://sawmillcreek.org/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=192 0,fit=scale-down/https://www.lumberjocks.com/attachments/36-755-png.3868799/

I realize this is NOT a true Unisaw but rather a hybrid cabinet saw. That being said, it does seem to check a number of my boxes:

proximity - few miles away
more power (2 hp)
Left tilt - right handed, prefer to stand to the left of the fence
Cast iron top - stability, flatness
"built in" dust collection - will tweak as is always the case
small footprint (front to back - need to store against the wall when not in use)
mobility - heavier than a standard contractor/site saw but lighter than a full true cabinet saw.

Note: Will rewire for 110 in the interim - until new garage and dedicated panel is added.

I've found a few reviews/forum thoughts and most advocate going full Unisaw. However I think this hybrid might be adequate for my needs and an upgrade from what I currently have - current saw cabinet has bent and I'm no longer able to do 45 degree miter cuts (french cleats, etc.)

Additionally, every Unisaw I've found is right tilt, most are $650 - $1,500+ and 50+ miles away. Turns out there is a price limit for me (per spouse). <$1,000 is pretty much required, <$500 ideal.

So I guess I'm looking for a blessing to go for it or a solid reason as to why not.

Zachary Hoyt
02-21-2023, 6:05 PM
I don't know about that saw, but I will say that a Unisaw is much nicer than a contractor's saw, having had both. I got mine for $500+ with the buyers premium and sales tax, from a school auction. If you can find the company that mostly handles school auctions in your area and watch their website it may be a way to get a better deal. In most of NY state Auctions International does online school auctions, and I imagine there are similar outfits in much of the country.

Cameron Wood
02-21-2023, 6:38 PM
That's a decent choice IMO. Having the motor in the cabinet rather than out the back is a substantial plus over a contractor's saw.

Bill Dufour
02-21-2023, 11:03 PM
Location? Here I would hold out a few weeks for a unisaw to show up for sale locally.
Bill D

David Stone (CT)
02-22-2023, 9:17 AM
I say go for it. That saw, as I recall it, was an upgraded version of Delta's open stand contractor saw, with a bigger motor, mounted inside instead of hanging out the back. So a better version of the basic saw that was a staple of hobby woodworking back in the 80s and 90s and what I and countless others used to make tons of stuff. ...You don't mention what sort of fence it has. It'd be nice if it were a late model with a Biesemeyer or Unifence, but for $300, even the old-fashioned Jet Lock could be tolerated. ...If you do get it, the one thing I'd for sure recommend, and budget for, would be acquiring an after-market splitter or at least making your own, since the OEM one was pretty annoying and, in all likelihood, got tossed long ago.

Jim Becker
02-22-2023, 12:05 PM
Until very late in the game, Delta didn't really do left-tilt. That started to become popular in the early to mid 2000s and it nearly "the standard" now because it's considered safer for bevel rips as it doesn't trap a workpiece between the blade and the fence. For older saws, if you want left tilt, PM is a good target and then all the major brands had them in the 2000's as I noted.

James Jayko
02-22-2023, 1:19 PM
I had this saw and loved it...made lots of stuff with it. The lower power means you need to have the right blades, and you need to keep them sharp (I mean...you should anyway, but its far less negotiable with a 1.75hp motor). I only got rid of it because I got a SawStop.

$350? Do it all day.

Brandon Antoniewicz
02-22-2023, 1:30 PM
Great to hear your positive experience. I'm going to look at it today. Just to confirm, it is a left tilt saw correct? Per the photos they provided me, it has a 2 hp motor. Regardless a new thin kerf blade is on order for my current and future saw...

Brandon Antoniewicz
02-22-2023, 1:33 PM
Jim – Thanks for the info. That explains why I haven’t found many left tilt. PMs don’t pop up as regularly, but a few have, most out of my budget.

David – That’s what I wanted to hear… I am definitely a homeowner/hobbyist. No business for me. It comes with the Jet lock fence, but I have a Shop Fox W1716 Aluma-Classic Fence with 57” Standard Rails that works well for me. I’ll pull it from my Craftsman.

Noted regarding an aftermarket splitter. I’ve already been researching and most likely will pick-up a Shark Guard.

Bill – I hear ya. Like Zachary, I’ve been watching for some time, but all have been right tilt. I want a left tilt.

Cameron – Thanks for responding. Agreed that the motor in the cabinet is a major plus for me. One of my checklist items.

Zachary – Thanks for suggestion. I do monitor a few auction sites. Unfortunately, nothing has come up “nearby”. Understood that Unisaw’s are a better saw. The left vs right tilt and costs (for newer Uni’s with left tilt) are the biggest negative for me.

Mick Simon
02-23-2023, 8:34 AM
I had the same saw and used it happily for many years. It's a definite upgrade from a Contractors saw. The 90 and 45 degree stops can be accessed using a hex wrench from the top of the table. Very convenient.

James Jayko
02-23-2023, 11:23 AM
Mine was left tilt, yes. Like anything, if its misaligned you'll need to take the time to true up the table and fence (for the record, mine was perfect when I got it). But it was a solid saw that was more capable than I expected given the relatively modest price.