PDA

View Full Version : Minisplit brand differences / experiences - Daikin vs Gree

Phillip Mitchell
02-20-2023, 10:23 AM
We are getting ready to go ductless and pull the trigger on a new minisplit system for our (old and small) house and the choices currently are between Gree Sapphire and Daikin Aurora - these are both brands’ respective low temp models.

3 indoor units with 1 outdoor unit. 15k or 18k + 6k + 6k = 30k / 2.5 ton outdoor unit, fwiw.

Parts warranties are similar - Gree (10 yr) vs Daikin (12 yr)
Gree is a Chinese company that is maybe the largest HVAC manufacturer worldwide (?)
Daikin is Japanese and has some crossover/shares some parts with Gree when it comes to the plastic indoor wall units, based on some of my reading.

Gree is about 15% cheaper so far the way we have it designed with similar / identical specs between the 2 brands.

I have yet to look up the SEER ratings for these specific units but Gree may be slightly higher based on past research.

I have also not yet looked up specific indoor control or functional/settings differences between the brands, but that is on the list as well. We are fairly low tech folks so the less electronic / sensing gadgets the better typically, IMO.

Anybody have personal / user interface experience with either or both brands? Or parts / repair experience?

Jim Becker
02-20-2023, 5:15 PM
The 18K unit in my old shop was Daikin and was excellent. Although I did all the prep work, that one was supplied by and installed by my HVAC company friends. It's the brand they use for all the minis splits they provide and install. My Daikin was 20 SEER and installed in 2018. No question, I'd be happy with that brand again. They are the/a global leader in this space.

I went with MrCool DIY for the new shop building as I wanted to do a self-install. It's also 20 SEER, but 24K. But had I not wanted to DIY, I would have bought another Daikin.

Phillip Mitchell
02-20-2023, 9:45 PM
Thanks Jim.

Another consideration for me is how straightforward the indoor units are to clean and maintain long term.

How often did you need to clean your indoor unit (filters?) and clean to prevent mold/mildew build up and how was executing that process repeatedly over time?

Tom M King
02-21-2023, 9:10 AM
Filters are easy. They go in and out easily, and are washable.

Cleaning could be better thought out. You need one of the containment systems and something to drain it into.

Jim Becker
02-21-2023, 10:30 AM
I cleaned the filters about once a month for the Daikin as it was in my shop. As Tom mentioned, it's a very easy process...you just flip up the cover, take out the filters, do the deed, reinstall and close the cover. It's exactly the same with my MrCool system but the app "reminds" me to change the filters, about every week or two. I suspect the more current Daikin app will do the same, but don't know for sure. Mold/Mildew was never an issue, but I suspect it could be if the condensate drain is not installed properly and/or gets obstructed.

Tom M King
02-21-2023, 12:43 PM
Notice how the cover goes on the inside unit when it's installed the first time. I have to take the cover off to access the sump. Our trap is hidden in the wall, so I drop a couple of these sticks in the sump twice during cooling season.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Gobbler-BIO-Flow-Drain-Strips/dp/B077QKXPVC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=241NHZ2CU9AKG&keywords=green+gobbler+sticks+for+drains&qid=1677000713&sprefix=green+gobbler+sticks%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMk8wRUxOQU0wVTZNJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzY1NDM5MUYxWjFVTlFBOEkwViZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODkwOTIwMzNERUVEWVZUNUxJRCZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

On all the heat pumps I could, I installed this type of trap on the drain lines, and drop sticks in them a couple of times during Summer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMUFSGI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wish I had put one of those on our mini-split, but the drain is hidden behind the siding. If I had enough time then, I wish I had put a door to access one of those traps.

Jack Frederick
02-21-2023, 8:17 PM
I installed a Daikin in about ‘80. I did not know such things existed, but the customer wanted it. It was cooling only. I thought it was magic. One day in the early 80’s all the Daikin Japanese went to the airport and flew home leaving a lot of orphans. A few years later they returned and subsequently did it again. They are without a doubt a quality unit and finally here to stay having bought McQuay and Goodman. Gree, according to a couple contractors I know wh install them speak highly of them. I have no personal experience with them. Mitsu, Fujitsu and DAikin are 123 in the US. Having Fujitsu’s and working with them for 14 yrs I lean that way. As to the cleaning frequency, every system has a personality. For cleanings in a shop how good is your dust collection? C?lean it once a week at first. If that is too often, try two and then three and so on. When your contractor installs it make sure a part of the deal is to absolutely show you how to remove not only the front cover but the entire cover. That way you can really see what is going on and do a thorough cleaning yourself if you are crazy enough to do so;) One of the keys to prevent mold/mildew etc is to make sure the unit drains well and is clean.
You are fortunate to live in Boone. Great country! I covered the Carolina’s for Rinnai back some 20 yrs ago and did a lot of training for the propane companies in Boone. It was funny. I came down from Boston to train these boys. I began the class telling them that while I was well and truly a Yankee that at least I wasn’t a Damned Yankee, as once Friday came around I was back on that plane heading home with a smile on my face and a song in my heart. Of course a Damned Yankee was one who stayed. They were some good hands and for the most part we did well together.

Michael Schuch
02-28-2023, 3:08 AM
I have installed a Fujitsu singe head and a 3 head Mitsubishi mini split (12K + 6K + 6K) in my house as well as teaching my boss how to install his Mitsubishi. If I did it again I would have probably chosen to do 3 separate mini-splits instead of the the three head Mitsubishi unit. During the spring and fall it is hot upstairs in my bedroom and cold down stairs in my daughters room. The 3 head unit will either heat or cool, you can't have one head unit set on heat and the other set on cool. This in itself makes 3 singles more practical for me. Everyone having a comfortable temperature in their room is one of the big advantages to a mini split which IS the case as long as they are all heating or cooling on a multi-head unit. The long line run for the third bedroom was also quite a chore to run. Single head units have higher SEER ratings than multi-head units but I don't know how that translates to actual money savings.

I can get a replacement remote for the Mitsubishi unit very easily. I haven't found a replacement remote for my Fujitsu. I haven't had any problems with either system but I see Mitsubishi replacement components. If my Fujitsu ever goes I will probably have to replace the whole unit. My understanding is that Dalkin is big in Europe but it doesn't have the parts supply / support that Mitsubishi does in the US. You are either going to spend a lot of time and effort installing your own mini-split or pay a lot of money to have it installed for you. For me the extra few hundred dollars for a Mitsubishi made sense to me. I also have the negative opinion that HVAC shops use the cheapest units that will outlast the warranty period rather than the best units... it is all about maximizing profits. The very expensive whole house AC at my mothers house only lasted 7 years after which it was out of warranty and a replacement control board was no longer available. :(

My Fujitsu has a "power" mode that will either heat at full power or cool at full power to bring a room to the set temperature quickly. I wish the Mitsubishi had this feature. My Fujitsu head unit is very quiet. My Mitsubishi head units are dead quiet... don't notice them running in the bedroom when trying to sleep quiet. The Fujitsu is probably quiet enough for a bedroom too, it just has a bit more air rushing through it noise.

The second year I had my Fujitsu 12K unit it stopped keeping up with the summer heat in my great room. I was sick at the thought of what I did wrong. After removing a good half inch of dust from the Fujitsu head unit filter it went back to working perfectly. Sucking the whole head unit out with a vacuum after washing the filter is quick easy maintenance.

When I do my shop I plan to use a ducted mini-split and incorporate some serious prefiltering in front of the ducted cartridge head unit.

Jack Frederick
02-28-2023, 9:32 AM
Michael, I do not know the square footage on your shop space, but in selecting the ducted unit be very careful in which one you use. I have been out of the business for 10 yrs now so this info is likely dated, but the original ducted units had almost no capability to handle even a fiberglass filter and could handle very little ductwork. Watch the Static Pressure specs carefully. The central AH units will have the capability to handle more ductwork & better filtration.

Phillip Mitchell
02-28-2023, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the replies. I’m going with Daikin and feel good about the longer warranty and a Japanese brand, personally.

Bill George
02-28-2023, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the replies. I’m going with Daikin and feel good about the longer warranty and a Japanese brand, personally.

Wise choice, you saw my posts on Chinese vs Japan based QC.

When I was teaching before I retired I used to take students on tours of the Lennox plant here in Marshalltown Iowa. The QC they used was outstanding even to the point of using Helium to pressure leak check those complete system factory brazed fittings. Even after All that they had a hole in every factory shipping box where a probe was placed so even after setting months in the warehouse a probe was inserted and checked for R22 or R410a leaks before shipment. I don't think the Chinese are up to that.

And before the BS about teaching I worked in a Union HVAC/R shop for 30 years before that.