PDA

View Full Version : Recent bowls

Eugene Dixon
02-20-2023, 9:15 AM
Recent bowls finished up last week. This was part of a demo that I did for the Savannah River Woodturners. The demo was a struggle because of epoxy cure issues.
495858 495857
Maple, Inlace, any epoxy I could find, and Yorkshire grit.

Just simple bowls. Tape measure for comparison.

Dave Mount
02-20-2023, 6:36 PM
Very nice. Was that demo recorded and if so is it available somewhere?

Best,

Dave

Sid Matheny
02-20-2023, 7:35 PM
Very nice bowls Eugene!

Eugene Dixon
02-21-2023, 1:02 PM
No it wasn't recorded. Didn't even have the live feed running which was unfortunate for those wanting to watch the epoxy pour. Turned out not to be not much of a pour as I (unfortunately had to) used a quick-set alumalite mix. The epoxy sat on top of the inlace like a snake. Thankfully, I have brought some alcohol and used that to wet the epoxy. The epoxy flowed after the alcohol.

I may have lowered the standard for demos everywhere.

Eugene Dixon
02-21-2023, 1:03 PM
Thank you.

Tim Tucker
02-23-2023, 9:16 AM
Eugene -
Like your work! I have been doing more with UV cured resin and less with epoxy for inlay work. There are some limitations/differences, and some advantages. But it is FAST. It does not cure until I am ready, no mixing, is water clear, no smell whatsoever. I really am becoming a convert. You can buy UV cured resins from Easy Inlay. They really have been the ones to promote the use of UV cured resins in wood turning. Give them a call - and please tell them I recommended them. Really nice folks.

Eugene Dixon
02-24-2023, 8:27 AM
Thanks Tim. I don't do the inlays often but I'll check into Easy Inlay.