PDA

View Full Version : Math Help Needed, I Think

Bruce Wrenn
02-19-2023, 9:44 PM
Over the winter, the outlet tube on my Hose Mobile, built by Suncast, froze and busted.. A new reel ( complete) is $39.99. The replacement hose outlet runs from $40 to $55 delivered. Based upon the math I was taught in school 60+ years ago, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy another new reel for $39.99? ROFLMAO!

John K Jordan
02-19-2023, 10:08 PM
Over the winter, the outlet tube on my Hose Mobile, built by Suncast, froze and busted.. A new reel ( complete) is $39.99. The replacement hose outlet runs from $40 to $55 delivered. Based upon the math I was taught in school 60+ years ago, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy another new reel for $39.99? ROFLMAO!

As long all things are equal: the quality of the new complete reel (including coupler, hose and fittings) is the same. Sometimes companies switch to cheaper versions of their products.

I am fed up with most new hose repair fittings available at retail stores now. Where I used to buy quality brass now they only carry either plastic or cast Mystery Metal fittings plated with a cheap shiny gold/brass colored plating. I won’t buy these or any hose with an aluminum fittings.

John Ziebron
02-19-2023, 10:09 PM
Sounds like the same math I was taught. And I'll bet you'er also one of those people that smartly checks that the larger size grocery item isn't always cheaper.:D

Mike Soaper
02-19-2023, 11:01 PM
"I am fed up with most new hose repair fittings available at retail stores now. Where I used to buy quality brass now they only carry either plastic or cast Mystery Metal fittings plated with a cheap shiny gold/brass colored plating. I won’t buy these or any hose with an aluminum fittings."

John, you may want to checkout the brass hose fittings at Ace, the packaging indicates solid brass.

Ace 1/2 in. Hose Barb x 3/4 in. Male in. Brass Threaded Male Hose Repair - Ace Hardware (https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/watering-and-irrigation/garden-hose-connectors/72697)

John K Jordan
02-19-2023, 11:14 PM
I’ve bought from Ace but the last I checked the local store didn’t have the good stuff.

I forgot to mention to the OP: I always drain hoses so they won’t freeze. The best way I’ve found is to use compressed air. I made a fitting with a valve: pump up a compressor, stretch out the hose, and blow out the water. (I do this at least one or twice a week in the winter, every time I clean and fill drinking water tubs for the horses and llamas in my lower field.) The oddest thing - they still get thirsty when it’s cold…

JKJ

Bruce Wrenn
02-20-2023, 6:34 PM
Sounds like the same math I was taught. And I'll bet you'er also one of those people that smartly checks that the larger size grocery item isn't always cheaper.:DGood Answer! Larger doesn't always equill cheaper. Also check all the grocery ads before going grocery shopping.. For us, it's a start at far end, and come down street towards home, passing all the local stores. No running all over town to get a bargin. And if it's not on sale, I try not to buy it unless absolutely necessary. I keep a stocked pantry, so no running to the store for a single item. If I'm going to fix something special, first I check the pantry and adjust my plans accordingly.