PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
02-19-2023, 8:04 PM
20 Feb 2023

Greetings,
It's been a good week this week, lots of stuff done at the day job, making progress on 2 projects in the shop. I was going to ask a question here but I forgot what I was going to ask, so maybe I'll ask the question when I remember next time around. :)

Here is one of my small thin boards that people seem to have fallen in love with the size and light weight.

I come off oncall duty on Tuesday morning and I'm READY to be done with oncall.
That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Maurice Mcmurry
02-19-2023, 8:11 PM
My day job kept me out of the shop (other than to make a mess). I did stake out the site for the WoodMizer carport cover which is fairly exciting!

Bruce Wrenn
02-19-2023, 8:56 PM
My day job kept me out of the shop (other than to make a mess). I did stake out the site for the WoodMizer carport cover which is fairly exciting!Funny you should mention carport covers. Friend died in Dec 2022, and I inherited her cover. Spent a couple days last week disassembling it ( all parts marked and numbered.) Spent one day washing roof sheets before loading them on trailer. My trailer is only ten feet long, and sheets are 20'. This meant a lot of "hang over" ( 8 ') on the back of trailer. Took two bottom rails, and added 2X2 braces between them to create a 20' long ladder. Strapped it securely to trailer, front and rear, than stacked roof sheets on top of it. Then added arches to top of roof sheets, and strapped the whole assembly together. By now trailer was so rear heavy, that even my weight (200+ lbs) couldn't force it down onto hitch. I also got some grow boxes from her estate, so I stacked several on top of sheets as far to front of trailer as possible. Added garden soil to boxes till trailer balanced, and was slightly tongue heavy. Put some flagging on extended rear of roof sheets and drove SLOWLY home. Pulled over a couple of times to let traffic go by. Unhitched trailer very close to where cover will go. When it's free, there WILL be a way to get it home. Problem Solving 101 at it's best!

Maurice Mcmurry
02-19-2023, 9:58 PM
I brought home a 14 foot section of 4 inch angle iron in the Toyota Corolla today. I hope to make it into a header for the WoodMizer carport. I am beyond any sense of embarrassment. I just want a dry place to cut wood! Soil for ballast = Brilliant!

Jim Becker
02-20-2023, 10:14 AM
'Glad you're getting shop time, Dennis. Those thin boards are nice for a variety of tasks...

I did more shop organization this past week and pretty much have lumber and materials storage handled with a small cart for the "longer shorts" that frees up some space for bigger lumber in the vertical rack and some horizontal racks to handle the long and thin molding collection as well as some of the odd-ball pieces of MDF and things like the MFT fence and my tapering jig for the slider. It gets all that stuff off the floor/lower wall. Also got my Penn State flag hung. :D Lastly, on Saturday, I was finally able to dedicate some time to completing all the "final commissioning" adjustments and tweaks on my SC3C slider. It's been in-use "as it came off the pallet", more or less, during the shop interior build out but had to be dialed in for better accuracy in "real" woodworking projects. There was a minor adjustment to the scale on the rip fence, a little adjustment to the riving knife and adjusting the wagon height to my preference of just a tiny bit above the saw table...it was too high for my liking from the factory and just slightly uneven front to back. That's taken care of and it's barely 1/64" proud along the length. That gives enough relief so that there's no dragging of material on the saw table when cutting from the slider wagon and small enough that it's not going to materially impact traditional ripping.

This week will have some time spend doing some actual drawing and design work for a cabinet that will go under the saw extension for additional storage and I may also be moving two of the four wall cabinets I have in the "garage" down to the shop for out-of-sight storage of some supplies and tools that see little use but are necessary. I have two other woodworking projects to start planning for, too...a new, far nicer mailbox support for this property and a bistro style eating table for our older daughter's apartment that will help free up space. I also need to re-make my Fritz and Franz fixture as the slider setup on the new saw is spaced different from the 2005 era machine it was originally built for.

Paul F Franklin
02-20-2023, 11:34 AM
I finished up my tissue box covers/receipt box except for applying some paste wax...want to let the danish oil cure a while longer before waxing. I'll post some pics later. Got a good start on the pair of stacking in/out boxes. I set up the Grizzly Bear Crawl mobile base for the new drum sander (that mobile base is really nice, no more Bora bases for me) and did the final tuning of the sander, which is really only setting the table parallel to the drum and calibrating the DRO. Used the sander on the pieces for the in/out boxes and was pleasantly surprised at how well the sander and the dust collection works.

Mohs surgery on my ear went fine, surgeon got all the skin cancer on the first pass. I'll go back later this week for a mini skin graft to fill in the divot in my ear.

I'll probably head down to the Hartville tool biannual tool sale later this week. Don't really need anything but that never stopped me before.

Aaron Liebling
02-20-2023, 10:10 PM
On a recent trip to Santa Fe for the mom-in-law's 82 birthday, we bought a really nice Navajo rug. I made up a hanger for it out of scraps. It's essentially a beveled board with pins stuck up at an angle at a regular interval. Then the whole board hangs on a French cleat. Works a charm!

Cameron Wood
02-22-2023, 7:46 PM
Pretty much done with this deck. I built it almost 30 years ago, now the hot tub died & was removed. Will stain the new decking after it has set for a while. New torch-on roofing on the shed below. I built the cabinets from Ipe, they are holding up well.