PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Weapons?

Steve Mathews
02-17-2023, 6:42 PM
The following ad on Facebook Marketplace was rejected and my appeal rejected because according to them it contained prohibited "weapons" sales. Can anyone spot the offending weapons?

SawStop Over-Arm Dust Collector & Guard
New around $500
Selling for $240
Guard was never used.
The over-arm assembly was installed but never used.
AVAILABLE IF LISTED

Lee Schierer
02-17-2023, 6:49 PM
Probably the word guard triggered one of their filters.

Jim Becker
02-17-2023, 7:21 PM
Try changing the word "Guard" to "Cover"

Mike Congiusti
02-17-2023, 8:02 PM
Well to the ..... mob that guard looks like a gun. Just my opinion.

Marc Rochkind
02-17-2023, 8:25 PM
Maybe over-arm?

Kyle Stiefel
02-17-2023, 8:45 PM
No words, feel so bad for my young kid is growing up in this nonsense

That being said, looks like a fair price

Steve Mathews
02-17-2023, 8:49 PM
Part of what's odd is that the ad was active for quite some time. It was only until I lowered the price that the rejection surfaced. I plan to post the ad again but would like to eliminate what is "triggering" (no pun intended) the rejection. So "guard" as in trigger guard is no good? Over-arm? - I don't know where that fits into the weapons lexicon. Maybe remove the riving knife from the guard to make it look less like a pistol? But I can't use the word "knife", right? The point to it all is I don't know if I'm dealing with someone that's just plain stupid or technology run amuck, maybe both.

Doug Garson
02-17-2023, 9:03 PM
Maybe swap out some of the photos that could be flagged by a computer recognition program as looking like pistols.

David Stone (CT)
02-17-2023, 9:19 PM
I'd bet there are absolutely no live humans anywhere involved in flagging this and it's the unintended consequence of Facebook necessarily having to rely on machine-based image interpretation systems and algorithms about listing metrics to try to identify what's for sale in the gazillions of items that get listed on Marketplace every day. I'd try deleting images #4 and #5 and substituting a pic taken from an angle, with the splitter/guard installed on the saw, and maybe putting the word "table saw" into the description, in hopes of creating enough differentiating features that Facebook's system will not see a false positive.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-18-2023, 9:47 AM
Don't waste time trying to rationalize facebook. I think the whole thing is ran by a bot designed by an inept committee ___. Marketplace is a farce. I still get at least a message per week for a listing I took down months ago, usually in broken english, wanting to wire me money and send a truck to pick it up tomorrow at 5:30 am.

Bill Dufour
02-19-2023, 6:40 PM
When I was in Jr. high they said we could not make num chucks in wood shop class. Kung Fu was a popular tv show back then.
BilLD

Maurice Mcmurry
02-19-2023, 7:13 PM
My boys insisted that their nunchucks have chains rather than ropes (to resist swords etc.) I think there are still some around the house...
I have made my way through the Kung Fu TV show again thanks to our Library. It is quality entertainment. David Carradine's demise was very sad, embarrassing, and unfortunate.

Jason White
03-01-2023, 8:49 AM
I’ll take it if you’re near Minneapolis.

Ernie Loposser
03-01-2023, 8:56 AM
if someone were listing a nail gun with bump fire mode, may get a visit from atf:rolleyes:

Jared Sankovich
03-01-2023, 9:27 AM
Pics 3,4, and 5 roughly resemble a firearm. High probability it's a photo recognition algorithm searching for guns.

Earl McLain
03-01-2023, 9:44 PM
Pics 3,4, and 5 roughly resemble a firearm. High probability it's a photo recognition algorithm searching for guns.

Now that you mention it, I could see that. Odd thing is, with the pawls on there it’s designed to help stop things from shooting back at us.