PDA

View Full Version : Router Lift

Steve Gojevic
02-16-2023, 8:38 AM
Hi guys:

I am going to install my router in the wing of my table saw.

I want to use a router lift to make adjustments easier. The budget isn't quite there for the higher-cost lifts.

So far the choice is between the JessEm Rout-R-Lift II ($219) or the Rockler SL Router Lift ($279).

Any experiences with either lift? Recommendations?

Thanks
Steve

George Kasten
02-16-2023, 8:51 AM
I think you'll love the Rockler snap-lock insert rings. I've vacuumed up too many of those little Phillips-head screws from the old style rings!

Can't comment on the SL lift specifically because I use their Pro Lift model.

James Jayko
02-16-2023, 9:02 AM
I have the Rout-R-Lift II and I have zero complaints. Works exactly as you'd expect, excellent build quality (like all Jessem stuff).

Everything I've had from Rockler has been good, but I've never used this particular lift so I can't vouch.

Steve Gojevic
02-16-2023, 10:44 AM
I found a Youtube video comparing the two router lifts I mentioned above.

They were both pretty good, but the JessEm won out. I do like the "snap-out ring" feature of the Rockler.

I am ordering the JessEm on Amazon. The JessEm is available in a package deal on Amazon for $259 with 10 rings. This is still $20 cheaper than the Rockler without additional rings.

Steve

Doug Garson
02-16-2023, 12:37 PM
Good choise, I've had the JessEm for about a year, works flawlessly. Don't know what the "snap out ring" of the Rockler but the JessEm inserts snap into place with the included wrench, no screws.Every review I looked at before buying had the JessEm #1 or 2.

Earl McLain
02-16-2023, 1:41 PM
I was going to suggest considering the Jessem Mast-R-Lift with the Incra Mag-Lock rings. But, those are up to $420 now!! (mine was a Amazon Warehouse "like-new" on Prime Day 7 or 8 years ago--under $150 but i had to buff a small section of one edge for a bur. Feel even more blessed today that i got it!!)

Doug Garson
02-16-2023, 2:15 PM
My understanding of the advantage of the Master Lift over the Router Lift is it's more rugged and can be adjusted to fit multiple router diameters. So unless you need to swap different routers in the lift or plan on dropping it off a second story roof, I can't see why you would buy the Master Lift. By that I mean unless you badly abuse it I can't see how you would need anything more rugged than the Router Lift II. Am I missing something?

Earl McLain
02-16-2023, 7:18 PM
My understanding of the advantage of the Master Lift over the Router Lift is it's more rugged and can be adjusted to fit multiple router diameters. So unless you need to swap different routers in the lift or plan on dropping it off a second story roof, I can't see why you would buy the Master Lift. By that I mean unless you badly abuse it I can't see how you would need anything more rugged than the Router Lift II. Am I missing something?

I think I’d have been just as pleased with the Router Lift. At that time, I thought my Bosch 1617 fixed base in the table was good enough for my work. Only bought a lift because I caught a deal—but it really made it easier to dial in box lids, joints, etc. Improved my work and pleasure. If I lost my MastR Lift, I’d replace it, but probably with the RoutR Lift for that price difference.
earl

Jim Woodside
02-18-2023, 10:28 AM
I bought a "Blemished" JessEm Rout-R-Lift II and absolutely love it. If there was a blemish, I couldn't find it. The lift operates smoothly, locks tight and the rings are easy to change and very solid. Get the JessEm Rout-R-Lift II.

Patrick Varley
02-18-2023, 3:14 PM
I was going to suggest considering the Jessem Mast-R-Lift with the Incra Mag-Lock rings. But, those are up to $420 now!! (mine was a Amazon Warehouse "like-new" on Prime Day 7 or 8 years ago--under $150 but i had to buff a small section of one edge for a bur. Feel even more blessed today that i got it!!)

Agree on the MagnaLock rings. I don't have a lift, just an Incra plate and the MagnaLock rings are great (especially the Clean Sweep versions if you have under table dust collection).

Doug Garson
02-18-2023, 3:50 PM
Anyone try modifying an insert with the clean sweep slots?

Bill Dufour
02-19-2023, 6:15 PM
I paid less then that for my 1.5Hp shaper with a fence and a router bit spindle incl;uded.
BilLD

Is this near you? good deal with cutters.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/tls/d/cloverdale-powermatic-universal-spindle/7587994625.html

Chris Parks
02-19-2023, 7:59 PM
Anyone try modifying an insert with the clean sweep slots?

I don't follow what you mean but the best thing for dust and debris collection on a router table is half rings where the material passes over the cutter and an elongated hole behind the cutter and under the fence. Whoever thought full rings which reduce air flow was a good idea needs to think again.

Doug Garson
02-20-2023, 1:29 AM
I don't follow what you mean but the best thing for dust and debris collection on a router table is half rings where the material passes over the cutter and an elongated hole behind the cutter and under the fence. Whoever thought full rings which reduce air flow was a good idea needs to think again.
I was asking whether anyone had tried modifying a regular insert by adding the clean sweep style slots to improve above the table dist collection.

Chris Parks
02-20-2023, 1:37 AM
I was asking whether anyone had tried modifying a regular insert by adding the clean sweep style slots to improve above the table dist collection.

Inserts kill dust collection because they restrict air flow and air flow stops when the insert is covered by the material being machined, putting slots in an insert will not improve that situation.

Doug Garson
02-20-2023, 2:07 PM
Inserts kill dust collection because they restrict air flow and air flow stops when the insert is covered by the material being machined, putting slots in an insert will not improve that situation.
??? If the insert blocks airflow and thus reduces dust collection, I don't understand why cutting slots in it to allow more airflow would not help? I was hoping someone had tried it and could share thier experience.

Greg Parrish
02-20-2023, 2:10 PM
??? If the insert blocks airflow and thus reduces dust collection, I don't understand why cutting slots in it to allow more airflow would not help? I was hoping someone had tried it and could share thier experience.

On my prior router table, I had the incra lift with the slotted inserts and combined with a box below the router, they picked up a ton more dust than either a fence only, or solid insert setup. Most notable was the amount of sawdust spit out in front of the cut was drastically reduced. If/when I replace my router, I plan to go with one again based on prior experience.

Chris Parks
02-20-2023, 9:03 PM

A conventional insert ring gets at least half covered when wood being routed passes over the ring and blocks the air flow and the ring is so restrictive because the internal diameter is too small and it is filled to some extent by a router bit which further reduces air flow. Putting some slots in it will little difference when half the insert is covered anyway simply because the basic design is totally wrong as are most fences which need to be designed to allow much more air flow.

http://www.brisdance.com/Wood/RT/DroRead/FD09.JPG

http://www.brisdance.com/Wood/RT/DroRead/FD04.JPG

http://www.brisdance.com/Wood/RT/DroRead/NP01.JPG

The insert shown here only covers the outboard side of the router bit (side away from the fence) and the fence has a custom insert for each bit. The MDF insert is effectively filling in a very large hole in the table top and has a long opening behind the bit and under the fence. The video shows where the insert fits and the open slot behind it down to a 6" port. This gets everything because the debris from the cutter is thrown sideways under the fence and down into the port and it costs a few dollars to make. Note the fence insert does not go full height and make up air enters into the underside of the table catching the debris in the air stream. Ring inserts look pretty but they simply don't work and debris extraction through and along to the end of the fence is very restrictive as well. Ignore the fence moving and look at the keyhole slot in the table top and behind the router bit which allows big air flow. In the second picture it shows where air is also drawn in from the front of the table through the angled opening and as the table top sits flat on the cabinet frame the air is pulled directly to the back extraction port. The owner of this table builds custom inserts as needed and the fence allows custom guarding as well. None of this is rocket science and all of it works 100% effectively and the costs are minimal as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8fAW3GSwU&t=16s&ab_channel=MichaelZing