PDA

View Full Version : Blood Thinner, Black Pepper, and Super Glue

Bruce Wrenn
02-14-2023, 8:51 PM
After my heart attack in Dec 2021, I was placed on blood thinner (generic Plavax.) That means the simplest scrap or cut bleeds profusely. Twice this week, I have cut or scraped myself. First was a small cut on index finger of left hand. After trying to stop bleeding for several minutes, I finally got some super glue, wiped the wound dry, and applied it to wound. Bleeding stopped. Yesterday, scraped left hand, and had to keep pressure on scrape to stop bleeding till coagulation set in. Upon arriving home, scrape started to bleed again. Instead of pressure, I got the pepper shaker, and applied black pepper to scrape. Almost instantly, bleeding stopped. If you are on blood thinner, you might want to keep a tube of super glue, and a couple packets of black pepper with you at all time, especially when working in the shop.

Lee Schierer
02-14-2023, 9:10 PM
You should get some Wound Seal powder (https://www.amazon.com/Biolife-LLC-WoundSeal-Powder-Pack/dp/B00GC81R4W). It works really well. I used it on my dog when he would snag an ear on a black berry bush. The link is for a people version.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2023, 11:24 PM
I have been using New Skin on my cuts.

Steve Eure
02-15-2023, 12:43 AM
My Dad brought me a Bolo knife from the Philippines back during the Vietnam war. It has a caribou antler handle. Was told by the maker to scrape off antler shavungs to put in the wound. in disbelief I tried it. It worked.

Stan Calow
02-15-2023, 8:44 AM
Friend recently had gall bladder surgery. The four incisions were closed with surgical grade CA glue. Good stuff to have around.

Jim Becker
02-15-2023, 9:32 AM
Regular super glue will work, but it's best to use the version from the pharmacy that is designed for wound care. You can likely get clotting powder at the pharmacy, too, but I have never looked for it.

Bruce Wrenn
02-15-2023, 9:42 AM
While I know these other remedies are available, super glue is CHEAP, and black pepper is FREE in little single use packets at almost any fast food place, and most importantly has NO EXPIRATION DATE!

Bruce Wrenn
02-15-2023, 9:43 AM
Regular super glue will work, but it's best to use the version from the pharmacy that is designed for wound care. You can likely get clotting powder at the pharmacy, too, but I have never looked for it.In times past, cob webs, and spider webs were used to close a wound.

Jim Becker
02-15-2023, 12:08 PM
In times past, cob webs, and spider webs were used to close a wound.
Well, if you don't scare the spiders away...that could be a nice "home grown" solution right at the point of the injury! LOL

Ronald Blue
02-15-2023, 3:26 PM
As we get older we also break the skin easier. Or it seems that way to me.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-15-2023, 5:18 PM
As we get older we also break the skin easier. Or it seems that way to me.

I agree with you.

Alan Lightstone
02-17-2023, 8:22 AM
I use Dermabond (the medical grade stuff) as I've seen it used countless times in the OR. Works great. Always keep some in my first aid kit in my shop, and when I travel on vacations.

And, sigh, I also break my skin far easier.

Not so sure about the wisdom of pepper and possible infections. Though long before us doctors got involved in medicine, people used lots of home remedies and they didn't usually drop like flies.

Patty Hann
02-17-2023, 9:13 AM
...people used lots of home remedies and they didn't usually drop like flies.

Leeches, anyone?

Round about the cauldron go;
In the poison’d entrails throw.
Toad, that under cold stone
Days and nights hast thirty one
Swelter’d venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i’ the charmed pot.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the cauldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder’s fork, and blind-worm’s sting,
Lizard’s leg, and howlet’s wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Scale of dragon, tooth of wolf,
Witches’ mummy, maw and gulf
Of the ravin’d salt-sea shark,
Root of hemlock digg’d i’ the dark,
Liver of blaspheming Jew,
Gall of goat, and slips of yew
Sliver’d in the moon’s eclipse,
Nose of Turk, and Tartar’s lips,
Finger of birth-strangled babe
Ditch-deliver’d by a drab,
Make the gruel thick and slab:
Add thereto a tiger’s chaudron,
For the ingredients of our cauldron.

Rob Luter
02-19-2023, 7:22 PM
Styptic pencils work great. Old school but effective.

Jason Roehl
02-20-2023, 7:36 AM
I’ve always heard cayenne pepper was a great clotting agent, but I’ve never tried it. I’ve used super glue with some success, but only when I was able to get the bleeding completely stopped, and the wound completely dry. I took a daily baby aspirin of my own accord for a few years, but my current job has me reaching in amongst sheet metal in tight places often, so I had to drop the aspirin—every little nick bled like crazy.

Ron Citerone
02-20-2023, 7:47 AM
Styptic pencils work great. Old school but effective.

Tried and true for sure. Some of these other solution seem like infection risks as others have mentioned.

Bill Dufour
02-20-2023, 11:36 AM
I believe ground black pepper is an antiseptic. So is honey.
Bill D.

On edit:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5209337/

Alan Lightstone
02-20-2023, 11:42 AM
Bill D.

On edit:
I've heard that as well.
Just back from NZ, and they sell Manuka honey for insane prices, billed as an antiseptic, and cure all for just about everything.

Ron Citerone
02-20-2023, 4:30 PM
Bill D.

On edit:

That's interesting Bill I have heard honey has one of the longest self lives of almost any food so it makes sense.

Bill Dufour
02-21-2023, 11:29 AM
That's interesting Bill I have heard honey has one of the longest self lives of almost any food so it makes sense.
I read they found honey in ancient Egypt tombs. It had crystalized so they warmed it up to melt and ate it. Also folks have eaten frozen mammoth meat.
Bill D.

Bill George
02-21-2023, 1:33 PM
You should get some Wound Seal powder (https://www.amazon.com/Biolife-LLC-WoundSeal-Powder-Pack/dp/B00GC81R4W). It works really well. I used it on my dog when he would snag an ear on a black berry bush. The link is for a people version.

Thanks for that Tip Lee, its wonderful. Used on my Aussie Cattle dog and it stopped the bleeding when he was banging his nose it seemed on everything! Vet said keep it dry and use antibiotic cream, nope it did nothing this stuff worked!!

Lee DeRaud
02-21-2023, 1:46 PM
Though long before us doctors got involved in medicine, people used lots of home remedies and they didn't usually drop like flies.
You mean back when 50 was considered "old"?

Brian Deakin
02-22-2023, 4:13 AM
Modern leech therapy is used in areas such as microsurgery, plastic and reconstructive surgery, cardiovascular disease and dermatology. Leeches are worm-like organisms which are applied to the wound area where their blood sucking action is used to increase circulation, improve blood flow and speed healing.

https://pharmaceutical-journal.com/article/news/pharmaceutical-leech-jar-19th-century#:~:text=In%20the%20middle%20of%20the,did%2 0the%20use%20of%20leeches.