PDA

View Full Version : Yard Sale Treasure

James Spangler
02-13-2023, 11:46 PM
Some time ago I was contacted by a fellow creeker who asked if I could refurbish a plane he acquired at a yard sale (as some of you may know, my retirement hobby is restoring old tools). Here are two photos of his yard sale find.

I had goosebumps when I learned it was a Bedrock 604 (yikes!). I hardly ever get my hands on one to restore. Perhaps most Bedrock owners take special care of them and never give them up. Anyhow of course, I agreed to his request. He asked that I leave the tote and knob untouched and use my judgement on whether the japanning needed work. Otherwise get it in working order.
When I received his Bedrock, I was pleased to see that it was primarily a surface rust issue. Even the iron was in fairly good shape and had good length.
Here is the refurbished plane.

495444 495445495446495447

After a bath in Evapo-Rust and cleaning all parts, I could see that the japanning was in great shape, only needing a few touch-ups with black paint. The only problem I found with this plane was with the tote. The top nut in the tote was sunken in a bit, bottomed-out so it couldn’t be tightened further, and the tote still felt loose. After removing the tote’s nut and bolt, I placed the tote back on the plane and determined that it did not sit flat on the plane bed – it would rock forward and back (yuck). In fact, the japanning had a slight hump in front of the raised socket with the threaded hole. Rather than mess with the japanning, I sanded a shallow depression into the bottom of the tote in front of the large hole to clear that hump. With that, the tote sat flat on the bed without rocking. I also put a washer under the brass nut to raise it up to allow it to be tightened without bottoming-out. Problem fixed.
With that and with a tune-up, this plane worked its magic in the workshop as you might expect.

I’ve been to many a yard sale and estate sale, but never found anything like this. It was a pleasure to work on it and a fun winter project. :)

Bruce Page
02-13-2023, 11:59 PM
James, you do some very nice work.

Jim Koepke
02-14-2023, 1:07 AM
Great looking work on the plane. During the early days of my retirement quite a few tools were bought and restored to raise money for things like a new premium plane and a better band saw.

A few Bedrocks have turned up during my rust huntings. Two of them were the earlier models and one was a flat top. To me the round sides look better, just an opinion.

jtk

Rob Luter
02-14-2023, 5:49 AM
Bedrocks are rare finds indeed, especially when reasonably priced. In 2015 I found a 605 1/2 in an antique mall for $20. The as found condition was as you see it below. Not bad for a 105 year old (at the time) plane. I rather wish I had kept it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51598702416_f5c71df9ab_b.jpg

Frederick Skelly
02-14-2023, 6:31 AM
Another beautiful restoration!

Tony Shea
02-14-2023, 9:16 AM
That's an amazing find James. I've never seen a Bedrock come up at a yard sale in the wild. I live near "The Tool Barn" and "Liberty Tool" in Maine therefore see them for sale there. Unfortunately Skip (owner) knows what they are and has a premium price tag on them.

Peter Mich
02-14-2023, 9:19 AM
Beautiful. The #5 you refurbished for me is the crown jewel of my kit.

chuck van dyck
02-14-2023, 9:38 PM
Jim, you are a wizard. The plane has really gotten a second lease on life. It is night and day from the no4 I’ve been using, which I thought I had tuned up pretty nicely if I do say so myself. The bedrock has zero play in the lateral adjustment and the depth adjust so smooth I didn’t even think it had engaged until I finally looked and saw 1/8” of steel protruding from the sole. All my other planes have significant slop when adjusting depth. As for visual fit and finish, the pictures speak for themselves.
I picked this up in the Catskills Mtn region over the summer while I was out harassing the trout. Got too hot to fish so I went to the diner and saw a yard sale sign and decided to check it out. It was a fisherman and woodworker’s dream, but I had a car full so had to show restraint. When I saw what I figured was just another no4 I almost didn’t even bother. I don’t really need another. But couldn’t help myself and went in for a closer look and must’ve yelped with joy when I saw the square sides and “Bedrock” on the lever cap.
The seller was a lifelong tradesman but seemed to have Parkinson’s so was no longer using his tools. Luckily he was the type that did not spare the oil when protecting his tools. I tried to give him $20 but could only get him to take $5. Got a nice old Japanese veggie cleaver in the deal too… He had lots of interesting folky chairs I wish I could’ve taken home, but my 900sf Brooklyn apt couldn’t handle it.
About a week later I found a Ross fly reel at a yardsale here in South Brooklyn for $2. Same one sells on eBay for like $500. I’m probably fresh out of yardsale luck for a while, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Jim Koepke
02-15-2023, 12:57 AM
Sometimes the yard sale luck lasts for a while. Better get out and check just to see. :D

jtk