PDA

View Full Version : Combi jointer planer

Jack Frederick
02-12-2023, 11:09 PM
Moving into a much smaller shop space I am considering moving to a combi machine. Currently I have a Dewalt 735 and a GO490 8” Grizzly jointer. In addition to the space issue is the noise. The 735 is a screamer. The Grizzly has been excellent and the only reason I’d turn that is the size. What do you suggest for a combi machine?

Jacques Gagnon
02-13-2023, 12:47 AM
Jack,

I have a feeling that you will receive many suggestions, partly because the decision relates to some extent to parameters such as space, type of work and work habit.

About 18 months ago I switched from a four-post 15 inch planer and 8 inch jointer to a Hammer A3-31 jointer-planer combination machine. I am very satisfied with the choice I made. The machine is quiet (helical head), produces repeatable results and delivers an excellent finish (some people will likely disagree and point out that they prefer cutter heads with three or four knives).

Having access to the same capacity for both functions is very nice. The hand wheel (metric calibration) allows the user to easily select a precise thickness and makes it easy to fix the « oups, I need to make another identical piece » problem. Change over between jointer and planer is easy and takes less than one minute. As a hobbyist, this is not an issue for me.

Choosing the combination approach requires one to modify work flow/planning compared to working with two stand alone units but it is not a show stopper from my perspective. The gain in terms of footprint was a big plus for me given that I work in a 280 square feet garage.

Regards,

Jacques

Aaron Inami
02-13-2023, 1:44 AM
The Hammer A3-26 with silent cutter head is on sale now for $4K (plus tax and shipping this is likely going to be at least $800), but I'm not sure that you want the smaller 10" machine.

Keegan Shields
02-13-2023, 8:49 AM
Jack,

I had the typical concerns about moving from separates (and old 15" PM and an 8" Jet jointer) but the Hammer A3-41 has been great. Change over is easy. The mechanical dial handwheel on the planer works well, and the insert head performs similar to the Byrd heads I had in my separates.

What took me so long to switch was the premium you are expected to pay for a combo J/P machine. I also was hesitant about the short jointer tables on the various 12" machines and held out for a 16" version with longer jointer tables.

I ended up finding my machine barely used for $4K and the sale of my separates covered the cost.

Honestly, I've heard good things about the Jet 12", Grizzly 12", and the Hammer series and I would have bought any of them if I didn't want longer tables.

If you can, I would be patient and wait for something used - let someone else pay the markup for new. Most hobby WW machines are virtually new when sold.

Jim Becker
02-13-2023, 9:09 AM
Buy a decent tool from a decent manufacturer. You pretty much need to choose between 300mm/12" and 410mm/16" with Felder/Hammer and SCM/Minimax, for example. That's where you budget and space will come into play. A good tool is a joy to use, holds its value and is easy to switch over between functions. As I've noted many times previously, by planning your work, those one minute switchovers can be minimized, too.

Jack Frederick
02-13-2023, 9:41 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I see there is a Felder showroom in W Sacramento and I’m through there all the time. I am going to take my time on this as the budget is kinda worn down with the move and the G700. As I think of my normal flow with my current gear I don’t think the Chang over time will be an issue for me.

John TenEyck
02-13-2023, 1:10 PM
More reason to wait for a good used machine. I got my 1980 something MiniMax FS-350 (14", yes they made a 12, 14, and 16" at one time) for $2K about 6 years ago. Looked brand new. I had to drive 4 hours to get it, but I was fine with that. Nothing new in that quality range was less than 2X more.

Good used ones sometimes become available. Patience and fast reaction when you see one pays off.

John

Aaron Inami
02-13-2023, 2:52 PM
Currently I have a Dewalt 735 and a GO490 8” Grizzly jointer. In addition to the space issue is the noise. The 735 is a screamer. The Grizzly has been excellent and the only reason I’d turn that is the size.

Do you have the 735 connected to a dust collector? Regardless, in the mean time, you can tame that "screamer" a bit by adding a couple of 4" elbows right at the Dewalt 735 output:

https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-reg-quick-connect-4-elbow

But yeah, the DeWalt is extremely loud.

If you are close to the Felder Sacramento showroom/warehose, you could probably skip shipping costs by renting a drop-deck trailer for this unit. Sunbelt Rentals calls this "lift bed" trailers. Although, you will probably want to check with your insurance company to see if the transport on the trailer is covered (many consumer auto insurance will NOT cover this).

Rich Markiewicz
02-13-2023, 3:45 PM
"As I've noted many times previously, by planning your work, those one minute switchovers can be minimized, too."
@Jim Becker hit the nail on the head, so to speak. I have a Hammer C3-31 combi, & I like it, but I need to get better at cut lists and planning my work. When I actually do that, it's great to use.
The Silent Power four sided cutter heads are really nice on the J/P.

Thomas Crawford
02-13-2023, 5:43 PM
I have an A3-41 (16"), highly recommended. The changeover is very fast, if you batch your parts through each process you really won't notice it.

Warren Lake
02-13-2023, 5:58 PM
the guys I knew with combos also had one or two table saws. On those combos the Saw was mostly for solid wood. The separate table saw worked better and also made it possible for a second person to be working. Never thought twice about tables up and down its the least of all things done to build things. The old tables were heavy with no aids with springs or however its done on some now.

Rod Sheridan
02-13-2023, 7:10 PM
My A3-31 is 13 years old this year, it’s even a fantastic machine……Regards, Rod

Jim Becker
02-13-2023, 8:06 PM
"As I've noted many times previously, by planning your work, those one minute switchovers can be minimized, too."
@Jim Becker hit the nail on the head, so to speak. I have a Hammer C3-31 combi, & I like it, but I need to get better at cut lists and planning my work. When I actually do that, it's great to use.
The Silent Power four sided cutter heads are really nice on the J/P.
Rich, what I got in the habit of doing is to generally break down boards into shorter lengths in tune with how components will come out later (skim it first if necessary for grain/color match), then flatten everything all at once. From there it's just thicknessing, ripping on the slider wagon (I almost never edge joint because of that) and then cut to final configurations from there. It's rare to need to return ot jointing so I keep the J/P in thicknessing mode for most of the project to deal with final sizing and cleaning up resawn material, etc.

John TenEyck
02-13-2023, 9:00 PM
Of course it's best to plan, but the change over time on my J/P is less than a minute, so I don't really worry about it. I have a DRO on the planer, too, so I can go back to any setting desired, within a couple of thou. For a hobbyist, I don't see it as an issue.

John

Jim Becker
02-14-2023, 9:22 AM
You are correct that in the end it doesn't matter, John. But aside from feeling more efficient, I find the planning very helpful relative to overall projects and sometimes even catch a mental mistake or three...kinda a cousin of "measure twice cut once", if you will. :) Of course, even then I can screw up easily... :o

ChrisA Edwards
02-14-2023, 1:07 PM
Had a Dewalt 735 and 8" Jet Jointer. Sold both and replaced it with a Hammer A3-31 four years ago. Since setup, I haven't adjusted or turned the cutters yet. I plane and joint mostly Walnut, Maple and Purpleheart. It does a beautiful, repeatable job every time.

I take light passes, 1mm, while planing and don't get any snipe.

I did but the short and long extension, but really use the long extension. The short extension lives on the planer outfeed.

Mine is on a Bora Mate mobile base and gets wheeled in and out for use as my space is also limited.

You can get a pretty good length of support, for jointing, if needed.
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/.highres/ExtensionTable1_zps9whornec.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbnS_MhLZPw

John TenEyck
02-14-2023, 1:47 PM
Those extensions look just like what I need on my Minimax for jointing really long stock. Then I looked at the prices. Guess I'll stick with roller stands.

John

scott lipscomb
02-14-2023, 2:53 PM
Went from a Jet 15" and Powermatic 60 to an older Minimax FS35 about 5 years ago. Put a Shelix head on it (took maybe 30 minutes) and I absolutely love the machine. It just works really well. The extra space is nice.
Switch over is definitely a down side. Like so many things in life, there is a trade-off.

Lisa Starr
02-14-2023, 7:43 PM
I, too, switched to a Hammer A3-31 a couple of years ago. Before that I didn't have a jointer, and ran a 15" four post planer. With my project work flow, the switch over is no big deal. It was perfectly dialed in when I received it and still is today. I have the "Silent Power" head.