PDA

View Full Version : Workshop speakers…

William Fretwell
02-12-2023, 12:29 PM
Had some old wall speakers, limited bass but good treble. Decided to upgrade my ghetto blaster.
To encourage the bass I made the cabinets a good size and heavy.

This is more construction. The front has hand planed maple 1/4” thick to fill the speaker mount flange gap.
The rest was scrap, off cuts and left overs.

Main body is 3/4” chipboard to reduce resonance. Biscuit joined, reinforced with poplar corner pieces. Thin melamine to almost match the maple. Stuffed with rolls of fluffy polyester. They look better in person than the picture.

The speakers are mounted with 8 screws. Rather than screw direct into the coarse chipboard I drilled out holes and glued oak dowel in them, then taper drilled the mount holes. My drill press provided the accuracy needed.

At next to no material cost I have adequate volume and much better sound. Just need some basic stands that double as bookcases for my woodworking book collection. The books will add weight for stability. I’m hoping the metal grill fronts will reduce dust ingression. The top front overhang was made as a drip edge, I can add a flap in the groove to provide an overhang at the top to reduce dust.

I also need a far better outside fm aerial, my shop is metal clad inside and out.

Jim Becker
02-12-2023, 5:00 PM
William, that looks like a nice setup. As an alternative to the FM antenna, you could consider getting a streaming source to listen to the same stations as long as you have Internet in your shop. I use an Echo Dot for that and the sound quality is excellent.

Maurice Mcmurry
02-12-2023, 6:02 PM
Neat-O! Those should be sounding great. Speaker projects are good fun. I am fond of FM radio too and am finding it hard to get away from interference caused by the overhead fluorescent and LED lights.

John Ziebron
02-12-2023, 6:28 PM
William, you might consider getting some acoustic foam to put in front which will help minimize dust intake. It's typically attached with velcro which would make it easier to take off and blow out periodically.

William Fretwell
02-13-2023, 7:16 PM
Yes I will look for thin acoustic foam. There was some originally but with cutouts for the speakers, more visual for even grey behind the grill.
The grills pull off so I can vacuum easily.
Enjoying the huge sound improvement.