PDA

View Full Version : Appliance timer for short times?

Stephen Tashiro
02-11-2023, 12:24 PM
Do they make an appliance timer that ranges over 0-60 min like an egg timer? I'd like a timer that would automatically turn off appliances like a popcorn popper.

Jim Koepke
02-11-2023, 12:57 PM
One of the problems with something like a popcorn popper is some kernels take more time to pop than others.

If you have ever made popcorn in a microwave the instructions will indicate one should set the timer beyond a certain time and then stop the process when only one or two pops are heard in a few seconds.

The other problem is a matter of wattage.

Here is the first thing to come to mind > http://www.gralab.com/products/details.asp?ID=11

It has a 600 watt capacity. My old one from my photography days is rated at 750 watts.

What kind of appliances do you want to have on a timer?

jtk

Stephen Tashiro
02-11-2023, 3:54 PM
One of the problems with something like a popcorn popper is some kernels take more time to pop than others.

That's why I want a timer with variable settings and high resolution.

What kind of appliances do you want to have on a timer?

Popcorn poppers, electric radiators and small appliances that someone might leave on accidentally. If there's a way to electrically control the water supply valves to clothes washer hoses, it would be nice to hook up such a timer to limit how long they can stay open.

Frederick Skelly
02-11-2023, 4:09 PM
Im not sure how to help you. When I googled it, I saw more than one example of appliance timers that can be set in 1 second intervals. Is there more to your need than you've described?

Maurice Mcmurry
02-11-2023, 6:41 PM
An old fashioned dark room timer might meet your requirements. They do not complement most peoples kitchen decor very well. I bet there is a modern digital version.

Kev Williams
02-11-2023, 9:54 PM
This on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6O28NA?pd_rd_i=B01G6O28NA&pf_rd_p=b000e0a0-9e93-480f-bf78-a83c8136dfcb&pf_rd_r=142GR6JZTACA67142XBP&pd_rd_wg=aMDek&pd_rd_w=TwhRE&pd_rd_r=1f0f5dc0-fa3f-4965-a3d5-7517667408c8&th=1

pic:
15amp/1800watts, set timer to the second, only $16, think I'll get ME one! :)

Stephen Tashiro
02-12-2023, 3:18 AM
This on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6O28NA?pd_rd_i=B01G6O28NA&pf_rd_p=b000e0a0-9e93-480f-bf78-a83c8136dfcb&pf_rd_r=142GR6JZTACA67142XBP&pd_rd_wg=aMDek&pd_rd_w=TwhRE&pd_rd_r=1f0f5dc0-fa3f-4965-a3d5-7517667408c8&th=1

Looks nice, but if I wanted to start a popcorn popper for 4 minutes would I have set the "start time" to the current time each time I used it?

Stephen Tashiro
02-12-2023, 3:39 AM
An old fashioned dark room timer might meet your requirements. They do not complement most peoples kitchen decor very well. I bet there is a modern digital version.

Yes, the functionality of a darkroom timer is exactly what I want. However, they seem to cost about $200. They have less features than cheap programmable timers. I guess low demand for them keeps the price high.

Bill Dufour
02-12-2023, 11:33 AM
If there's a way to electrically control the water supply valves to clothes washer hoses, it would be nice to hook up such a timer to limit how long they can stay open.[/QUOTE]

Watts makes a washer valve controller with leak sensor.
Bill D

https://www.watts.com/products/plumbing-flow-control-solutions/shutoff-valves/washing-machine-shutoffs/a2c/a2c-m1

Bruce Wrenn
02-12-2023, 1:06 PM
How about a spring wound timer and an outlet in a handy box, connected to a short cord set? Spring wound timers have been used for years to control fans and heat lamps in bathrooms.

Jim Koepke
02-12-2023, 8:43 PM
If there's a way to electrically control the water supply valves to clothes washer hoses, it would be nice to hook up such a timer to limit how long they can stay open.

This would be a hassle to set every time you were using the washing machine. Washing machines already have solenoid valves to control the water flow. What you might look for is high quality hoses for your laundry room.

Otherwise why not use valves like those for controlling lawn sprinklers?

I have never known of a laundry room hose bursting. I'm sure it can happen. Though for many years my folks sold home appliances and there was never such a problem. Of course maybe in areas where a laundry room freezes it could be a different story.

A friend of mine prefers ball valves for his laundry hook up. Those are easy to turn off an on, usually with a quarter turn. Might be cheaper than trying to install electrically controlled valves.

jtk

Derek Meyer
02-13-2023, 6:48 PM
If there's a way to electrically control the water supply valves to clothes washer hoses, it would be nice to hook up such a timer to limit how long they can stay open.

Watts makes a washer valve controller with leak sensor.
Bill D

https://www.watts.com/products/plumbing-flow-control-solutions/shutoff-valves/washing-machine-shutoffs/a2c/a2c-m1[/QUOTE]

I have one of these in my home. I had it installed in 2003 when we built the house. It worked flawlessly for about 15 years before it failed. The failure mode was to have the valves always open so the washer could still run.

I have since purchased another one to replace the original.

Derek