PDA

View Full Version : filling holes in lumber

Stephen Sebed
07-22-2003, 12:44 PM
has anyone here filled in holes by mixing sawdust with glue? An old woodworker told me to use this method several years ago, I used it once and it worked great. The Idea is that the sawdust will match the wood so you don't have to guess which color will look best. my question, I don't remember what glue he recommended, Which glue will work and still take stain?

Thanks,
Stephen

Todd Burch
07-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Most glues don't take (absorb) stain. I've successfully (not on purpose!) toned glue to match with spray equipment though. How big is the "hole"? If paste wood filler (what I would use instead of sawdust and glue) would not fill it, I might plug it with another piece of wood, or simply yet, use a different piece of wood.

I do occasionally use sawdust & glue to fill any gaps I might have when glueing two pieces of wood together. I'll draw a thin line of glue along the joint and sprinkle saw dust on it, run it in with my finger, and then sand while it is still wet. Final sanding is done after it cures.

Todd.

Mac McAtee
07-22-2003, 1:30 PM
Hide glue will take a stain. It won't look like natural wood but it will come much closer than any other kind of glue you could use.

Lee Schierer
07-22-2003, 1:56 PM
Use regular wood fillers and mix a small amount of the stain witht he wood filler before putting it in the hole to be filled. If you're not sure how the wood itself will take the stain, stain a scrap piece then mix the stain and filler to match that color. Apply your stain after the wood filler dries and you have sanded the are. You'll get a near perfect match everytime!

Carl Eyman
07-22-2003, 6:21 PM
You can stain the glue or the sawdust you mix it with with water based dye or TansTint. It takes some trial and errror to find the color you want, though Carl