PDA

View Full Version : Oak Veneer MDF for a Vanity?

Matt Meiser
01-27-2006, 10:38 PM
One of my upcoming projects is going to be new cabinetry for our master bath. The first project will be the vanity. I have a few sheets of 3/4" Oak Veneer MDF in my lumber rack that I got at an auction a couple years ago and have been thinking about using them for this project. The room is fairly large and open so we don't have a ton of moisture issues, but I'm wondering how well an MDF carcase will hold up? I know a lot of the pre-made vanities, probably including our current ones which are holding up fine after 14 years, are made from particle board, and logically I've got to believe MDF would be better than particle board. Anyone with real-life experience with MDF in this application?

Russ Filtz
01-28-2006, 9:53 AM
Not sure if MDF is any better than particle board. MDF swells like crazy if it gets wet. I'm sure it would work, but over time if it's not completely sealed on the cut edges?

I think the cabinets in my old houses kitchen were either MDF or PB and they started blistering just from sink moisture. Checked underneath and sure enough they had left all the cut edges on the bottom unsealed with no edge banding, just a raw cut. Never thought to look! :eek:

Kelly C. Hanna
01-28-2006, 10:26 AM
NEVER in a bathroom or kitchen is my rule. MDF soaks up water better than a sponge.

PS...not only that it has very little strength, especially over time.

Steve Wargo
01-28-2006, 11:08 AM
I'll second the "No MDF in a kitchen or Bathroom" statement. Horrible when wet. Go with baltic birch or some other substraight like that. Good luck.

Rob Blaustein
01-28-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm also doing a bathroom vanity and won't consider MDF. We have a Pottery Barn table that has extensions made of veneered MDF and one edge got wet--it was in a closet that had a leak--that edge swelled up to about 40% thicker. It eventually dried up and isn't too bad, but there's a clear bubble when it's in the table. I will not put MDF anywhere near water now (I also am more careful about where I store these).

Matt Meiser
01-28-2006, 6:04 PM
Thanks guys. I've been thinking about it a little more and I think I want to do a raised panel on the visible end, so it really doesn't make sense to use anything other than birch plywood or baltic birch anyway. We stopped at Menards and looked at the vanities for ideas and I have a concept of what I want to do now.